Which physics is more important on the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iono

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am getting ready to take the MCATs in April of 2002 and I have fulfilled all of my pre-med requirements except for one, which is the second semester of physics dealing with electricity and magnetism and I took the first semester quite a while ago so I am a little rusty on the material. My question is this: would you guys recommend taking the first semester over again (the one dealing with force, sound, heat, etc.) if I don't remember much or just go along to the second semester? Which one would benefit me more for the MCAT? I am planning on taking this during spring 2002. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, in my opinion the first semester is easier to learn or relearn on your own. The second semester is more complicated than the first, so I would recommend taking the 2nd semester. Just give yourself plenty of time to study. :p

Well, I don't think that taking the first physics course again (the one on Force, Heat, etc.) will help you much with the second course (the one on Electricity). Electricity and Force/Heat/etc are not really related at all, so you should be able to take the second one without knowing the stuff on the first one so well.

As to which is more on the MCAT... I would have to say that the emphasis is probably a bit more on forces and mechanics than electricity. However, it's almost a given that there will be passages on both areas on the MCAT. I guess it depends on how rusty you are on the previous stuff. Having taken both areas would be a real advantage, but given a choice between knowing forces really well and knowing electricity really well, I would take the forces/heat/sound course...

That's just me, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
The physical sciences section on the MCAT is pretty much all conceptual. There are very few problems that you actually have to work out. If I were you, I'd just try to focus on understanding the concepts in both Physics I and II, rather than understanding how to solve a problem for any variable. As long as you have a solid grasp on the concepts in both gen chem and physics, you'll be ok. I think most people find this to be the easiest of all 3 sections. At least I did.

I did the same thing, i.e. I took Physics I in 1998, and II in 2001. There isn't really any need to take the first semester over again, unless you had a lot of trouble with it the first time.

Just go get a physics book to brush up, and take physics II, which you will need for the MCAT. I took my physics almost 10 years ago, and I did fine on that section of the MCAT...I just dug out my old physics book (yes, I still had it!) and used a Kaplan review book to review/relearn. Worked fine for me!