Which Post-Bacc or UC/state in CA will be good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adriantada

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking of applying for a post-bacc and I want to stay in CA (preferably LA) and here my choices:

California State University Fullerton: Certificate in Pre-Health Professions Studies CA Public Institution
California State University, East Bay: Pre-Health Sciences Professional Certificate Program CA Public Institution
Chapman University: Chapman University Post Baccalaurate Program CA Private Institution
Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science: Post Baccalaureate Certificate in Pre Medicine CA Private Institution
Loyola Marymount University: Pre-Medical Post-Baccalaureate Program CA Private Institution
Mills College: Postbaccalaureate Program CA Private Institution
San Diego State University: Postbaccalaureate Certificate in Preprofessional Health Preparation CA Public Institution
San Francisco State University: Pre-Health Professions Certificate Program CA Public Institution
Scripps College: Post-Baccalaureate Premedical Program CA Private Institution
UC Berkeley Extension: Post-Baccalaureate Health Professions Certificate Program CA Public Institution
University of Southern California: USC Postbaccalaureate Premedical Program

or if i want to take a cheaper route, which UC/Cal State will be good to aim for big target med schools in CA?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi adriantada,
Which one did you end up going? I'm looking for information mainly on CSUF but interested in any other programs in Socal area.

Are you an academic enhancer (meaning you have a science degree and have completed most if not all your pre-reqs) or a career changer (haven't done any of your pre-reqs yet)?

I highly recommend CSU-Fullerton's post bacc program. I was in USC's post bacc program for one semester, but decided to leave for CSUF's program. I applied these program roughly the same time, but since USC was available for the spring term, I started in USC first. But due to the class environments, personal feelings, and financial reasons, I dropped out of USC and went to CSUF for the following fall term. Overall, i think i made the right decision.

First of all.. to be honest, Fullerton's classes were not as competitive as in USC, but i felt it was where I belong. I was pretty burned out with the curved grading system in USC.. not because I was dumb, but because everyone else were very smart... about 40~50% of student in that USC's introductory BIO class (BIO220) were pre-med students. I had to complete with all those people to earn the grade needed for med school. (I did alright in USC's class by the way). Whether in Fullerton's program, you pretty much work for yourself, if you do right amount of the work, you will get the grade you deserve.

Secondly, I feel was able to know faculties better at CSU-Fullerton, since we (as a post-bacc cohort) tend to stand out more in tern of class participation, and overall performance. I had no problem getting my recommendation letter from professors. Knowing that we were being look over by professor, it kind of boosted our moral to do even better in the class. It was very different from times spent in USC, where I felt I would get constant discouragement.

Lastly, finance is one main reason I decided to change the program. It would cost $1500 / unit in USC, where it was only $450/unit in Fullerton. That means.. I could take more classes to boost my GPA... and that's what I did. I ended up taking 48 units.. and I was able to boost my GPA significantly with literately half of the cost.

So.. I graduated... and was able to be matriculate to a respected DO program, and most of my Fullerton cohort classmate were also able to go where they wanted to go (MD, DDS, DPM, VAT, etc..) Could I ended up with better options if I stayed in USC? Perhaps... But would I be happier? Considering life style, personal objectives, finance.. probably not..

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user