Which post-bacc program? Does it matter??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Challenge

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I went to state University and have already fullfiled pre-req. for getting into medical school although I had no intension to go to medical school. (I majored in
Health-related science) But anyhow I got far dismal GPA than any other average pre-med students and realized that I wanted to become a doctor after graduating from college. I retook couple of science classes and continuosly I am willing to take more high-level science classes(about 15credits more) as a part-time while working as a full-time clinical tech. I'm also planning to go to graduate school after that.
So I've already applied for extended studies program (starting this Fall) in a state University near my house. But the school doesn't have pre-medical program for students in post-bacc(extended studies) . I can just take any courses without getting certificate. However, Georgetown has excellent pre-med post-bacc program. It's also located near my house. I want to take classes there as a part-time, get certificate and get involve in pre-med committee but the tuition is too expensive. As you all know it's a private school.

My question is does it matter which Univeristy I go for post-bacc program? By the way, my priority choice for medical school is Georgetown. Is it worth to spend more money(much expensive) to get a good post-bacc/pre-med program?
I would appreciate any of your sincere and grave advise.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you'll no doubt get other opinions, but here's my story: I got into Mills College's Post Bacc program, I was very excited, but I couldn't even get enough in loans to afford it (post bacc programs, becuase they are non-degreed, don't qualify you for the comparitively fat loans available for grad students; with the undergrad loan maximums, it just covered tuition). So I ended up doing ALL of my prereqs at a good community college. I made sure to get A's in everything, and did well (but not stellar) on the MCATs, and I'm starting med school this fall, at a UC. Did taking all my classes at a jc hurt me? It's possible (read some other posts on this topic; that's the kind of bias you'll be up against); I didn't get into my first choice (I wanted to stay in NorCal), but for reasons of both quality and cost, all 5 UCs were in my top five, and I feel very lucky & blessed to be headed down to Irvine. Will I be glad, 8 years down the line, to be $50K less in debt? Oh yes. If you've got money to p*ss away, then go for a formal post bacc (I did worry, all the time, if my jc grades would hurt me; you won't know anything until you apply). But for me, I couldn't rationalize getting into that much debt for a program that has no guarantees. I'm sure you could take the classes at a less-prestigious 4 year and get into G-town. I have heard that G-town's affliated hospital system is in a bit of crisis, and this can have bad consequences for students & residents, but that's like 9th hand information on my part. Anyone with more information out there?

[This message has been edited by fiatslug (edited 06-02-2000).]

Challenge -- I did a post-bacc program, not to raise my sci gpa, but to create one (no sciences as undergrad).

Nonetheless, the bottom line is you can research programs before jumping in. If you're set on being a Hoya, speak with someone (i.e. Dean, associate dean, etc.) in the admissions office and ask them about SPECIFIC programs you're looking at.

Also, you can obtain "success rate" stats from any reputable post-bacc program to assess their ability to get students into med school. Of course, there are other factors that will determine whether you will succeed in gaining admittance, but these are two things that can be done to ease your mind about your decision.

Good luck.