Which PostBac Should I Do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SusanGMaxwell

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Forum!

I didn't make the application this year around because I didn't do enough ECs, enough research, enough class participation for good rec letters, and enough shadowing/clinical experience. My grades are also not so stellar. 3.63 GPA with 27 MCAT.

I will graduate next summer, and then apply to med schools then, and start med school the following year. So, which postbac should I do after graduation from undergrad? Right now I'm thinking VCOM's Postbac because it has a 3.3GPA average and a minimum 24 MCAT. Problem is, they are a bit biased toward Virginia residents.

I have completed tons of science coursework already, all prereqs and almost all upper division classes for my major. I'm looking for a program that would offer opportunities to boost my ECs and those that have linkages (conditional acceptance to med school, with a really high postbac GPA).

Any suggestions for someone in my situation? I'd appreciate any input! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your GPA is not the problem here.

If you want to boost your EC's do EC's. These SMP linkage type programs are for people with solid MCATs and low GPA's not the otherway around( a 27 might even be too low for alot of them). Don't do a post-bac to try to boost your EC's. Period.

Your GPA is right around what the median MD matriculant GPA average is. Your MCAT is 4-5 points below average MD matriculants. Which one do you think had the bigger influence in you not getting accepted to MDs this cycle? Its a no brainer. If you want an MD your best bet is to go for a re-take and aim for 510+. You are fine for the vast majority of DO programs.

Reactions: 1 users
your GPA is fine, no need for postbacc.
btw, are you sure VCOM requires minimum 34 MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA is not the problem here.

If you want to boost your EC's do EC's. These SMP linkage type programs are for people with solid MCATs and low GPA's not the otherway around( a 27 might even be too low for alot of them). Don't do a post-bac to try to boost your EC's. Period.

Your GPA is right around what the median MD matriculant GPA average is. Your MCAT is 4-5 points below average MD matriculants. Which one do you think had the bigger influence in you not getting accepted to MDs this cycle? Its a no brainer. If you want an MD your best bet is to go for a re-take and aim for 510+. You are fine for the vast majority of DO programs.

So what should I do with my free year if not a postbacc? And is it too late to apply this application round? (My parents keep telling me I should just apply to MD schools, but I can't imagine getting in with a 27 MCAT and less than steller ECs)

So what should I do with my free year if not a postbacc? And is it too late to apply this application round? (My parents keep telling me I should just apply to MD schools, but I can't imagine getting in with a 27 MCAT and less than steller ECs)

It's pretty late now if you haven't submitted anything yet. It's always better to wait and go in with your best application once than to half-ass it and then be a re-applicant the next time around. A 27 is very low for MD. I suggest boosting the EC's and re-taking the MCAT if you're wanting MD

postbacc is for people with low GPA.
you should spend a free year working or volunteering or both.

Reactions: 1 user

Way too late for MDs now. Like I said during this next year study to re-take the MCAT. That has to be your goal at all costs. Boost those ECs you said weren't good enough either in the process. Make your overall application better.

It's pretty late now if you haven't submitted anything yet. It's always better to wait and go in with your best application once than to half-ass it and then be a re-applicant the next time around. A 27 is very low for MD. I suggest boosting the EC's and re-taking the MCAT if you're wanting MD

Ok thanks, that's what I thought but it's good to hear it again.

I thought most official postbacc programs with conditional acceptances are meant for people with everything but the scores..... seeing that you have little ECs, I doubt you'll have a good chance at making them.