Which Presidential Candidate Do You Think Best Serves Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goingbroke

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to be honest that I have been too busy working to learn about the candidates for the upcoming presidential election. I have heard this year that it's up for grabs. Anyway, as I start to define myself more as a psychiatrist and want to look out for the field, I wonder want opinions are out there about which candidate, if elected, would contribute most to Psychiatry. I know that a big interest would be parity of mental health/substance abuse with other medical areas. I also have some concern about the idea of a universal health plan. I have tended to vote Republican but with my career in a different direction I am really more open this time. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know of any of the candidates outlining their plans for mental health.

There are a fair number of big politicians in NJ that have a strong history of backing mental health and even participating in it strongly. Former Gov Cody was an integral part of exposing problems in the system. He even posed as a "fake" patient to see the problems in one institution earlier in his career.

Personally I'm not a big fan of universal health care. I have seen it in action in the UK. While our own system in the US is fraught with problems, the NHS system in the UK also had their fair share of problems as well--they were just a different set of problems.

I know that the NHS system isn't the only model. Canada has a different universal system which works very differently.

I could only back a candidate's proposed reforms if they spelled it out in detail. Hillary Clinton for example has mentioned universal health care but what are the specifics?

My own opinion is these approaches would result in quicker and better results for everyone involved in healthcare--providers & patients.
1-increase competition in companies that produce medical products
2-remove commercial interests out of circles where objective judgement is required--e.g. the FDA, editorial boards of research journals etc.
3-have patients have responsibility over their own health. Credit good and punish bad behavior E.g. a "fat tax". credits for good compliance, non smoking, adding even more taxes to tobacco, tax deductions for excercise equipment & gym memberships
4-tort reform
5-have medical professionals be on juries where medical malpractice cases are involved.

I think that the closest thing we have a universal health plan is the VA. While the VA has some great aspects such as a great electronic medical record I see some areas that most Americans who have been spoiled with the current system might not tolerate. The pharmacy system that I have worked at has major probelms. Veterans are waiting the whole day to receive their medications. Trying to tell some rich executive that he can't have that test he wants or probably needs will lead to major problems. I think all physicians will be worried about incomes. So any candidate that mentions a universal health plan or single payer system will not receive my vote.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that the closest thing we have a universal health plan is the VA.

Actually, the closest thing we have to a universal health plan is Medicare. None of the candidates (or even leading policy makers) are saying a word about single-provider health care, they're discussing single-payer systems, which, while they offer their own benefits and drawbacks, have nothing to do with the way the VA system does such an excellent job taking care of such absurdly sick people on the cheap.

Anyone who wants Universal Health care is BAD for anyone in health care. They can spin it however they want, it will lower the standard of care, lower income, and cost more in the long run. Talk to any professional in a country that has it, and they will let you know what they think of it (and it isn't good).

btw...Universal Health care as a name is slightly misleading, but everything attached to it so far is trash.

-t

hey guys, I just took a medical sociolgy class last semester and we talked quite a bit about universal health care. I would like to clarify that universal health care does not equate to social medicine. Universal health care simply means that everyone in the nation will have some form of health insurance. I dont like the idea of socialized medicine but I do think that we need universal health care in the U.S. The U.S needs to make health insurance accessible to the 40 million people who are currently not insured. Im personally going to vote for obama during the democratic primaries.

Anyone who wants Universal Health care is BAD for anyone in health care. They can spin it however they want, it will lower the standard of care, lower income, and cost more in the long run. Talk to any professional in a country that has it, and they will let you know what they think of it (and it isn't good).

btw...Universal Health care as a name is slightly misleading, but everything attached to it so far is trash.

-t

Wow. This is totally inaccuate. I guess we've spoken to different sets of professionals. While things need to be changed in universal healthcare types of systems, a wholely privatized system leaves some to be desired as well.

The U.S needs to make health insurance accessible to the 40 million people who are currently not insured. Im personally going to vote for obama during the democratic primaries.

Agree. I think the key difference is "to make health insurance accessible" to all. Providing some type of insurance while keeping the service in the private sector is, IMHO, the best balance. Keeping the providers in the private sector will keep competition and an overall higher quality of care.

The U.S needs to make health insurance accessible to the 40 million people who are currently not insured.
Just wanted to add that not all of the people who are currently uninsured are financially unable to purchase health insurance. A large number of the uninsured chose not to spend their money on health insurance and are living well above the poverty line.

Did anyone see that movie? What did they think about it? Now I know M.M. is quite obviously operating from an extremely liberal bias. Farenheit 911 bugged me a lot. Here's the thing....Sicko really got to me for some reason. Especially the politicians in other countries who are considered CONSERVATIVE but totally believe that universal coverage is necessary. It made me feel like....there are other people like me out there!

I just think so much time/money/energy/resources are wasted with our third party payer system. It seems removing the middle man would streamline things. And also, there is really no avoiding it with the aging of the population I would venture that greater than 50% of healthcare is going to be government funded anyways in the not distant future.

It seems hard to argue with the statistics that we spend more here and get less in terms of health outcomes.

Thoughts? :idea:

The way I look at universal health care is this--when someone is admitted, we will KNOW they have insurance that is current, valid, and will pay for the admission at THIS hospital (as opposed to the one across town that is "in network". When they are discharged we will know they will be able to fill and refill their meds without my filling out a prior authorization form. We will know that they can see the doctor we've arranged a follow-up appointment with. We will be able to eliminate the jobs of the 20 or so people in every hospital whose job it is merely to check and recheck benefits and do "utilization review", as well as half of the employees of the insurers who spend their days talking to those people. (Also in universal health care, the insurance is not tied into the employer--so you don't get this ridiculous changing of providers every 2 years as jobs change and employers switch coverage plans, etc...)

I personally would favor a single payer system--and before you start screaming "big government bureaucracy" at me--I'll just let you know that what we have now is already a bloated private enterprise bureaucracy, with 25% of "health care costs" paying for the sustenance of the system.

I haven't seen Sicko yet (I really should too), I'll put it up on my Netflix queue.

I dont like the idea of socialized medicine but I do think that we need universal health care in the U.S.

Universal Healthcare will cause some improvements (in general, again there's several different ways to do it, some are better than others). The one improvement that will most likely happen is the rate of infant mortality will probably decrease. The US has one of the worst infant mortalities for a 1st world nation--often cited because we don't have a universal system.

However it will also bring in its fair share of problems. In the NHS for example, the waiting line for a hernia surgery is several months, sometimes even more than 1 year. The patients in the meantime are put on welfare. Imagine the waste!--1 year of welfare because the guy can't work while waiting for about a year.

Also doctors have much less incentive to work hard. The surgeons at the hospital I worked at were supposed to work about 9-5. Most of them showed up 1 hr late, and left 1 hr early.

Socialized medicine will not be the panacea several politicians are making it out to be. IT will get rid of some problems, but it will also create new ones. The overall improvement IMHO will be none, while at the same time making the playing field worse for us doctors.

Members don't see this ad :)
My own opinion is these approaches would result in quicker and better results for everyone involved in healthcare--providers & patients.
1-increase competition in companies that produce medical products
2-remove commercial interests out of circles where objective judgement is required--e.g. the FDA, editorial boards of research journals etc.
3-have patients have responsibility over their own health. Credit good and punish bad behavior E.g. a "fat tax". credits for good compliance, non smoking, adding even more taxes to tobacco, tax deductions for excercise equipment & gym memberships
4-tort reform
5-have medical professionals be on juries where medical malpractice cases are involved.

It's funny how not one single candidate has said that. If people would simply take more responsibility for their own health, that would lead to better outcomes, better qualities of life, etc.

May I also add.... limit the punitive damages of malpractice cases?

Now I'm not saying we should remove the private sector from medicine, but putting some sort of reasonable cap on CEO/executive pay in that sector would help immensely as well.

Did anyone see that movie? What did they think about it? Now I know M.M. is quite obviously operating from an extremely liberal bias. Farenheit 911 bugged me a lot. Here's the thing....Sicko really got to me for some reason. Especially the politicians in other countries who are considered CONSERVATIVE but totally believe that universal coverage is necessary. It made me feel like....there are other people like me out there!

I just think so much time/money/energy/resources are wasted with our third party payer system. It seems removing the middle man would streamline things. And also, there is really no avoiding it with the aging of the population I would venture that greater than 50% of healthcare is going to be government funded anyways in the not distant future.

It seems hard to argue with the statistics that we spend more here and get less in terms of health outcomes.

Thoughts? :idea:

I'm the exact opposite. My views are usually considered very liberal, but I do not agree with universal health care and for the first time ever, I am voting for a Republican just because I think that universal healthcare would be so detrimental to the US.

I didn't see Sicko because I didn't want to contribute one cent to MM so he could make future "documentaries" based on half truths and lies. I think he has the same level of integrity that Kevin Trudeau (the infomercial guy hawking "Medical Cures They Don't Want You To Know About") But, I did read every article, opinion, and blog that I could find on both sides of the issue. MM neglected to mention that in Cuba, people don't even get simple antibiotics that they need, most of the hospitals in Cuba are filthy, and people in Cuba have to bring their own sheets and food when they will be staying in the hospital.
This is what one US hand surgeon had to say about part of the film:
As a hand surgeon who treats many traumatic injuries, Moore's portrayal of a patient who amputated his middle fingertip captured my interest. He depicted this uninsured man as required to pay $23,000 to have his finger "saved." Moore lost considerable credibility here. Most hand surgeons would never consider micro-surgically replanting this table saw injury at the finger nail base. Rather, this unfortunate injury would have been comfortably and safely treated -- without reattachment of the severed bit of finger -- in an office procedure room for $1,000 or less.
http://www.acton.org/commentary/commentary400.php
Anyone could go to Cuba, Canada, England, etc and make a movie depicting the absolute worst cases there too. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article105238.ece
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_Rf42zNl9U

I know that some people in the US are denied care due to financial reasons, but it is the exception and not the rule. Medicaid pays for the poorest of the poor and there are many other programs to help those that fall outside the income requirements for Medicaid.

I live in the Metro Detroit area and during my rotations, I have seen a decent number of people crossing the border from Canada, where they have "free healthcare" to get care in Michigan. The patients that sought care in Michigan weren't wealthy (one was a single mother working as a waitress) and weren't seeking world renowned doctors. They just didn't want to wait for quality care.

I don't know all of the reasons we spend more and get less, but some of them include : Americans, compared to those living in other countries, are fat and lazy and do little to help stay healthy. More kids are born to drug addicted mothers in the US, more older mothers in the US have kids that end up with lifelong health problems.

Many wealthy people come to the US from other countries because they want the highest quality care possible. We must be doing something right. I'm not saying healthcare in the US is beyond reproach, there is room for improvement. But, universal coverage or socialized medicine is not the answer.

...I live in the Metro Detroit area and during my rotations, I have seen a decent number of people crossing the border from Canada, where they have "free healthcare" to get care in Michigan. The patients that sought care in Michigan weren't wealthy (one was a single mother working as a waitress) and weren't seeking world renowned doctors. They just didn't want to wait for quality care.

I used to practice in SE Michigan, and I could tell you an equal number of stories about people who crossed from the US to Canada, for example to obtain affordable prescription medications.

I'm just sayin'...

I too am from MI and was quite interested in a scene from Sicko. A young woman from Detroit who has to be treated for her cervical cancer and doesn't have insurance is going to Canada and pretending to live with a friend there so she can get treatment.

Say what you will about not taking care of herself to end up with cervical CA in her early 20s, but here is a young woman, a mom, who has CANCER and has to lie about living in another country to get care. Made me kind of embarrased to be an American.

To me the most glaring difference between the US and all other countries profiled is that here it is "me me me" and if you can't take care of yourself you are screwed versus EVERY OTHER COUNTRY SHOWN where people have faith that they are cared for by one another in their country. Seems like a kind of nice idea, don't you think? It is more than just healthcare, it is a completely different paradigm.

I used to practice in SE Michigan, and I could tell you an equal number of stories about people who crossed from the US to Canada, for example to obtain affordable prescription medications.

I'm just sayin'...

They don't even have to cross the border anymore, they have Canadian Pharmacy Outlets popping up left and right.

In my mind, and I could be really off base because I have a lot more about healthcare delivery than I have about the cost difference of prescription drugs, I think that healthcare delivery and the price of prescription drugs are somewhat separate issues. The drugs are the same quality, no matter what country they are sold in and from the little bit I have read on the subject, pharmaceutical companies charge more for medication in the U.S because Americans are willing to pay for it. Healthcare on the other hand is very different between the US and Canada due to the quality and shorter waiting times in the U.S.

I too am from MI and was quite interested in a scene from Sicko. A young woman from Detroit who has to be treated for her cervical cancer and doesn't have insurance is going to Canada and pretending to live with a friend there so she can get treatment.

Say what you will about not taking care of herself to end up with cervical CA in her early 20s, but here is a young woman, a mom, who has CANCER and has to lie about living in another country to get care. Made me kind of embarrased to be an American.

To me the most glaring difference between the US and all other countries profiled is that here it is "me me me" and if you can't take care of yourself you are screwed versus EVERY OTHER COUNTRY SHOWN where people have faith that they are cared for by one another in their country. Seems like a kind of nice idea, don't you think? It is more than just healthcare, it is a completely different paradigm.
I have heard anecdotes like the one about the woman from Detroit and I know that some people in the US die because they truly couldn't pay for care, but they are the exception and not the rule. As I stated earlier, we do provide for the poor and even the middle class too. I haven't done a ton of rotations yet and I am based at a small community hospital, but I have yet to see one person denied care for lack of ability to pay. One man had a torn rotator cuff. He wasn't eligible for Medicaid and had been making more than enough to purchase insurance, but was now unable to work due to his injury. The physician treating him called in a few favors and he had surgery to repair his shoulder. It did take a few months, but he was cared for. One woman without insurance came in to the ER because she thought she diagnosed herself with asthma and it turned out that she had lung cancer. She was admitted and handed over to the oncologist. No one ever even questioned if she would be treated or not. Several years ago, I had a melanoma on one of my toes and had to go to U-M to get it removed because the podiatrists wouldn't touch it because it was cancer and the dermatologists didn't feel comfortable removing it because it was on my toe. A year later, they called me for to schedule a follow-up visit and I told them that I couldn't schedule an appointment because I was a full-time student and didn't have insurance and they said to come for an appointment anyway because they never turn anyone away for care. I've seen patients without insurance inquiring about care in private offices and either the physician agreed to see the patient for a reduced fee or they directed them to community clinics(the resident OB/GYN clinic, the resident FP clinic, CHM, etc).

I think that for a lot of people living in the US, healthcare isn't something they really think about until they need it. People are willing to pay for beautiful homes, sports cars, vacations, expensive clothes, etc, but when it comes to paying for healthcare, all of a sudden they "can't" afford it. Again, I'm not talking about the truly poor or the disabled. I think we should take much better care of those who can't take care of themselves.

IMO, those in other countries aren't living in some communal paradise. They just take "free" healthcare for granted like we take clean drinking water for granted.

I think that Ron Paul has the best ideas for healthcare. I know he's kinda a little out there on some issues and some of his core supporters are way out there and he doesn't really have a chance, but his views on healthcare are really the best of any of the candidates IMO. Here's a link to Ron Paul talking about his ideas for healthcare in the US on youtube(found on a thread on SDN) http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=442322&page=2

Talk to any professional in a country that has it, and they will let you know what they think of it (and it isn't good).

-t

That's not true. Not in Denmark. I've lived and worked there. I know many doctors there who think highly of their country's system, and it's one of the "universal" systems. It isn't perfect of course. I'm sure there are some Danish doctors who hate the Danish system, but I would guess the dissatisfaction is nothing compared to that found in the UK, or the US. I mean, the Danes I know say so many good things about their system. You NEVER hear Americans applaud the US system, on the other hand...

In Norway from what I know, they seem happy too.

I think that Ron Paul has the best ideas for healthcare. I know he's kinda a little out there on some issues and some of his core supporters are way out there and he doesn't really have a chance, but his views on healthcare are really the best of any of the candidates IMO. Here's a link to Ron Paul talking about his ideas for healthcare in the US on youtube(found on a thread on SDN) http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=442322&page=2

:(

Too bad....I think his political platform is on the money, he just doesn't have the votes.

-t

That's not true. Not in Denmark. I've lived and worked there. I know many doctors there who think highly of their country's system, and it's one of the "universal" systems. It isn't perfect of course. I'm sure there are some Danish doctors who hate the Danish system, but I would guess the dissatisfaction is nothing compared to that found in the UK, or the US. I mean, the Danes I know say so many good things about their system. You NEVER hear Americans applaud the US system, on the other hand...

In Norway from what I know, they seem happy too.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they pay around 60% in taxes? Also, I've heard that in order to provide a high level care and services you're talking about, they have extremely strict immigration laws to help control the flow of services. Is that right?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they pay around 60% in taxes? Also, I've heard that in order to provide a high level care and services you're talking about, they have extremely strict immigration laws to help control the flow of services. Is that right?

Yes, that's true, for Denmark. But then, after paying their 60%, they get education, health care, and child care all for free, and 6 weeks of vacation. Plus, their government services, their trains and subways actually work. The immigration laws have been getting more strict, but it's not clear whether that's because of problems maintaining services or because of anti-immigrant sentiments among the people. The attitudes and rules go in cycles--a labor shortage for a few years causes immigration laws to be relaxed, and then an inflow of foreigners will cause a backlash and the immigration laws get tightened.

I don't know what they are paying in taxes in Norway, and I think their immigration laws are not that tight. They claim to pride themselves on being a welcoming place, at least. They have a lot of oil money in Norway though.

I don't think the US could adopt a Danish-style welfare state. I don't think it would go over well here. I bet once the services were in place people would like them and want to keep them, but we'd never be able to even get to that point!

Talk to any professional in a country that has it, and they will let you know what they think of it (and it isn't good).
I work in the NHS, the British universal healthcare system funded by tax-payer and free at the point of use. The system is not perfect, but it works. It also has its advantages over the US healthcare system (of which I have no first-hand experience, it must be said). For instance, everyone in this country must have a GP. Any access to secondary care provider (even privately) must be via the GP who orchestrates the overall healthcare of the patient. I think this is an extremely important point of difference between the two systems, and the one the NHS wins hands down. Having a single generalist overlooking your healthcare prevents you from doctor shopping, prevents you from seeing random specialists because you (an average person with no medical knowledge) think those specialists are the right docs to see for you at present, and ultimately cuts the healthcare costs considerably. It may also reduce the workload of specialists, because certain follow-ups can be easily done in primary care (eg, periodic renal function tests and general check-up in someone on Li, or LFTs in someone on anticonvulsants). So, in this model, a generalist has a concern/problem that requires specialist input --> he makes a referral to a specialist --> specialist makes the initial assessment and establishes treatment --> specialist refers the patient back to generalist for routine follow-up --> specialist may or may not arrange follow-up in his clinic, but if he does not the generalist can re-refer the patient at any time. The bottom line: as much as British general public despises NHS, it has its advantages, and it would be unfair to say that any professional in the UK would not have anything good to say about it.

IMO, those in other countries aren't living in some communal paradise. They just take "free" healthcare for granted like we take clean drinking water for granted.
Hell, YES. They have a RIGHT to free healthcare, right? The fact that a lot of them come from welfare families, where two or three generations never worked a single day in their lives (hence, never contributed to the NHS funding) is completely irrelevant. The "free" healthcare is something people in this country firmly believe they are entitled to.

The drugs are the same quality, no matter what country they are sold in and from the little bit I have read on the subject, pharmaceutical companies charge more for medication in the U.S because Americans are willing to pay for it.
Hey, this is a bit off. Is Seroquel cheaper in India? i bet you, it is. Can you be confident it is actually Seroquel every time you buy it? Hmmmm.... I originally come from a Second World Country, and have quite a few colleagues from Second and Third World countries. The medications sold there are generally divided into three categories: 1) First World class medications - those that can be sold in the US, UK, etc without a fear of a lawsuit. 2) Medications produced by the same companies, but specifically for export into developing countries. And then, there are 3) "Similars"....

It's funny how not one single candidate has said that. If people would simply take more responsibility for their own health, that would lead to better outcomes, better qualities of life, etc.
But that would be asking too much. State should fix everything for you, why should you be forced to do anything about it? After all, if a kid falls behind at school, it is the school's fault. If you are sick, it is all these damn doctors...:rolleyes:

However it will also bring in its fair share of problems. In the NHS for example, the waiting line for a hernia surgery is several months, sometimes even more than 1 year. The patients in the meantime are put on welfare. Imagine the waste!--1 year of welfare because the guy can't work while waiting for about a year.

Also doctors have much less incentive to work hard. The surgeons at the hospital I worked at were supposed to work about 9-5. Most of them showed up 1 hr late, and left 1 hr early.

Socialized medicine will not be the panacea several politicians are making it out to be. IT will get rid of some problems, but it will also create new ones. The overall improvement IMHO will be none, while at the same time making the playing field worse for us doctors.
Whopper, I agree with you that the playing field for doctors would be made much less attractive by introducing "universal" healthcare system in the US. I do not think the US healthcare system will ever come close to what NHS is like, though, so I do not think this is a big worry. The medical establishment in the US will not allow this to happen. Frankly, I think neither NHS nor the US healthcare system are likely to survive as they are at present: too many things are "broken" in both systems. It is my vision, the NHS will slowly become more privatised and the US healthcare system will become more "nationalised", so meeting in the middle (ideologically speaking). The US system will be offering some core services (eg, prenatal and perinatal care) free at the point of use, and the NHS will be charging for some of it's services.

I do have issue with your statement regarding the NHS waiting times, doctors performance etc. I do not know when and where you got your NHS experience. It might be that what you are saying was true a few year back, in some poorly managed hospital. I work in one of the best hospitals in the country, a tertiary referral centre, and things are certainly not as horrible as you describe. I have yet to see a doctor being consistently late, or leaving consistently early. As a matter of fact, most of my colleagues regularly stay 1-2 hours late, after their shifts are over. Most of us are quite hard working, despite the fact our salaries have no direct correlation with the time we spend at work or the amount of work we accomplish whilst there. I think there is a lot to be said about just being a conscientious professional, and wanting to do your best for your patients independent of the financial reward.

The waiting times for referral, operations, etc have improved tremendously since late 90s. The norm for a hernia op is 1 month or so, if it is uncomplicated. Cancer referrals take 2 weeks max. Total hip arthroplasty has 6 months max waiting time on the list. So, things are not as bad as you experienced them.

The way I look at universal health care is this--when someone is admitted, we will KNOW they have insurance that is current, valid, and will pay for the admission at THIS hospital (as opposed to the one across town that is "in network". When they are discharged we will know they will be able to fill and refill their meds without my filling out a prior authorization form. We will know that they can see the doctor we've arranged a follow-up appointment with. We will be able to eliminate the jobs of the 20 or so people in every hospital whose job it is merely to check and recheck benefits and do "utilization review", as well as half of the employees of the insurers who spend their days talking to those people. (Also in universal health care, the insurance is not tied into the employer--so you don't get this ridiculous changing of providers every 2 years as jobs change and employers switch coverage plans, etc...)
This would be ideal. This is also quite close to what we have in the NHS here in the UK. However, the government will always find something to be monitored to justify hiring a few "managers" whose salaries may easily consume the savings you would have made.

Yes, that's true, for Denmark. But then, after paying their 60%, they get education, health care, and child care all for free, and 6 weeks of vacation. Plus, their government services, their trains and subways actually work. The immigration laws have been getting more strict, but it's not clear whether that's because of problems maintaining services or because of anti-immigrant sentiments among the people. The attitudes and rules go in cycles--a labor shortage for a few years causes immigration laws to be relaxed, and then an inflow of foreigners will cause a backlash and the immigration laws get tightened.

I don't know what they are paying in taxes in Norway, and I think their immigration laws are not that tight. They claim to pride themselves on being a welcoming place, at least. They have a lot of oil money in Norway though.

I don't think the US could adopt a Danish-style welfare state. I don't think it would go over well here. I bet once the services were in place people would like them and want to keep them, but we'd never be able to even get to that point!

I am jealous.... Education AND childcare, as well as healthcare for free? Hell, an average doc in the UK pays 40% taxes, and then has to pay for childcare (£600-1200 per month). Education up to the age of 18 is technically free, but seeing 30 pupils per class in our local state school with about 2/3 coming from "disadvantaged background", half of them with "learning disabilities" (mental ******ation in the US terminology), it looks like we will have to dish out £1000 per month in school fees for private education of our son.

I know the solution....time to learn Danish and move to Denmark!:idea: :rolleyes:

That Ron Paul video was scary. You have to be pretty out-of-touch to think that health savings accounts and changes to the tax code are going to fix the problem for the average joe living paycheck to paycheck trying to keep the lights on. Unless you have extra money lying around to put in these accounts and hire an accountant to figure out those byzantine tax credits, you're SOL. Fiscal conservatives must be either too far removed from average people to get this, or else they do get it but just don't care.

I personally would favor a single payer system--and before you start screaming "big government bureaucracy" at me--I'll just let you know that what we have now is already a bloated private enterprise bureaucracy, with 25% of "health care costs" paying for the sustenance of the system.

Me too. One of my attendings had some consulting job where he had to review charts, some of which came from other countries. Of course the US charts were pages and pages thick. But he was struck at how the single-payor nations' charts were tiny in comparison. Because they only contained the relevant clinical information. Imagine that, what a concept ;)

(Australia's were the thinnest, BTW)

I know the solution....time to learn Danish and move to Denmark!:idea: :rolleyes:

You could do it! They have a doctor shortage and will take anyone, from what I hear. Danish words are a lot like English words. "Knive" = knife. You have to say the "k" though, and the "e" at the end. To say "where is the hospital" you say "hvor er hospitalet?" Don't pronounce the "r" in hvor. Ok, I think you are ready.

Another cheap thing there is transportation. You just ride a bike everywhere.

:(

Too bad....I think his political platform is on the money, he just doesn't have the votes.

-t
It seems that a lot of people really like his platform, but because he isn't one of the front runners, they are shifting their votes to others and choosing the lesser of 2 or 3 evils. Maybe if everyone voted for their personal favorite candidate instead of the candidate that the polls suggested, we'd have a different outcome.

It seems that a lot of people really like his platform, but because he isn't one of the front runners, they are shifting their votes to others and choosing the lesser of 2 or 3 evils. Maybe if everyone voted for their personal favorite candidate instead of the candidate that the polls suggested, we'd have a different outcome.
I wish! I'll be supporting him until he officially passes on his endorsement to someone else. Unfortunately the other options are horrid.

-t

I wish! I'll be supporting him until he officially passes on his endorsement to someone else. Unfortunately the other options are horrid.-t

What's wrong with, say, Mitt Romney (other than being Mormon)?

What's wrong with, say, Mitt Romney (other than being Mormon)?

MItt is definitely not my choice with Ron in the running, but he may be a better choice than others out there. If Ron drops out, I'll have to re-evaluate who is the next best candidate.

Obviously these are my interpretations, so I welcome input from people.

Healthcare
Mit: Deregulating healthcare, change the tax code, and provide healthcare to every citizen.

Ron: Talks a lot about individual's right to information, access to care, and supports avenues to make healthcare more affordable (tax deductible, small biz support to provide affordable care, encourage doctors to negotiate with insurance companies instead of taking what they are offered, healthcare saving account).

Stem cell research
Mitt: Against it.
Ron: Against the federal gov't paying for it. He wants to leave it as a state and private citizen issue.

Pro-life vs Pro-choice
Both are pro-life, though Ron is more hardline about it. I'm not wild about his hardline stance, but I appreciate his consistency in support of the issue. This definitely is a difficult issue for me (as I believe in pro-choice).

Education
Mit: Supports No Child Left Behind (burning federal funding on something that at best needs to be fixed, and in reality doesn't work)

Ron: Supports more realistic spending, and he doesn't want to throw money at a broken system. He wants more parental involvement and 'real' standards. I need to read more about his stance, so I'd welcome anyone who knows more about it.

Privacy
Mit: National ID system and very much in support of The Patriot Act.

Ron: Against The Patriot Act and against a National ID system. He believes this violates citizen's rights, which he wants to protect.

Taxes
Both are in favor of cutting taxes, simplifying the code, etc. Ron wants to eliminate the IRS, while Mit wants to just simplify. I think both have good plans (from what I've read).

Immigration
Mit: Securing borders, enforcing the laws, new biometric verification, stricter employer verification, and increasing legal immigration. The biometric verification is a bit scary, but everything else is closer to Ron's plan. I'm not sure how he would handle amnesty issues.

Ron: Much more hardline (which is needed). Secure the borders, enforce the laws, no offer of amnesty, no chain immigration, and equal allowances for people from various countries.

International Issues
Mit: Wants better international support and is in favor of sending troops abroad to protect our interests (not nec. Iraq? but he thinks we need a strong presence)

Ron: Protect our home front. We are spread too thin and are too involved in fights of other countries.

--

There are obviously many other issues, but I tried to pick some of the issues that effect healthcare, while also including some other major issues. I'm sure I missed a bunch....but I need to go start my real research work now. :D

Some references for those interested in these two candidates:

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/
http://www.mittromney.com/
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/national/politics/2008/bios/view.bg?articleid=1063102
http://nyletterpress.wordpress.com/2007/09/30/3/
http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul252.html
--

In case anyone cares to see where they may fall during the race: http://www.electoralcompass.com/

There's this website where you can take a quiz and then it tells you which candidates are most in line with your views. They also have a page where you can click on a candidate and then click on an issue and see where they stand. Healthcare is one of them along with several other impt ones. It's pretty helpful:

http://glassbooth.org/explore/

Sorry for my late response. This thread had gotten so long it was hard to keep track of all the goings on...

I do have issue with your statement regarding the NHS waiting times, doctors performance etc. I do not know when and where you got your NHS experience. It might be that what you are saying was true a few year back, in some poorly managed hospital. I work in one of the best hospitals in the country, a tertiary referral centre, and things are certainly not as horrible as you describe.

You are very correct in your analysis. It was about 5 years ago in Coven-Warrick hospital, which had a reputation of not being in the best area. Actually several doctors worked very hard and showed high professionalism, though there were of course as is always, the fair share of bad apples-they were the ones that showed up late & left early.

Universal healthcare needn't always follow a bad example in 1 country. Several countries have several differing systems--Canada's system is very different from UK's NHS, and is very different from the system in Norway.

Each country has differing levels of success & failure with their own systems.

Our own system in the US has several problems that need to be fixed. The biggest thing I'm fearing is that some bureaucrat is going to make a new one that does not take into consideration anything that will make it a system that works in an efficient, practical & fair manner.

Don't believe me? Just take a look at several of the various electronic medical record systems-made by software designers that have no idea what its like in the real field. The end result is a system where it takes 50 minutes to type a note you could've written in 5. Unfortunately when a hospital picks up 1 bad EMR system it'll stay with it for at least years.

No matter what system is made--Universal or not, people IMHO need to be held responsible for their own health.

Americans, compared to those living in other countries, are fat and lazy and do little to help stay healthy. More kids are born to drug addicted mothers in the US, more older mothers in the US have kids that end up with lifelong health problems.

Overweight people IMHO ought to pay more for their healthcare. You want to piss in the well? You got to drink it. That goes for anyone who engages in clear lifestyle choices that'll engage (edit-result) in increased medical fees for the community. In NJ there's a point system attached to traffic violations. You get more points, you get higher insurance rates. Same system ought to happen in the US for managed care. (Reminder, I'm talking lifestyle choices, I'm not talking about medical conditions where the person had no choice such as a genetic disease).

Like it or not, any health payment system is communal. You want to benefit from the communal fund? You need to act communal.

In NJ there's a point system attached to traffic violations. You get more points, you get higher insurance rates. Same system ought to happen in the US for managed care.

IIRC, NJ also charges a penalty per point per year ($100?) as an administrative cost, on top of your insurance*; I think they should do the same for people who choose to live very unhealthy lifestyles.

*I haven't had NJ car insurance for 5-6 years, so YMMV...but the idea is still a good one.

-t

No matter what system is made--Universal or not, people IMHO need to be held responsible for their own health.

Overweight people IMHO ought to pay more for their healthcare. You want to piss in the well? You got to drink it. That goes for anyone who engages in clear lifestyle choices that'll engage in increased medical fees for the community. In NJ there's a point system attached to traffic violations. You get more points, you get higher insurance rates. Same system ought to happen in the US for managed care. (Reminder, I'm talking lifestyle choices, I'm not talking about medical conditions where the person had no choice such as a genetic disease).

Like it or not, any health payment system is communal. You want to benefit from the communal fund? You need to act communal.

I couldn't agree more.

I have to be honest that I have been too busy working to learn about the candidates for the upcoming presidential election. I have heard this year that it's up for grabs. Anyway, as I start to define myself more as a psychiatrist and want to look out for the field, I wonder want opinions are out there about which candidate, if elected, would contribute most to Psychiatry. I know that a big interest would be parity of mental health/substance abuse with other medical areas. I also have some concern about the idea of a universal health plan. I have tended to vote Republican but with my career in a different direction I am really more open this time. Any thoughts?

This WebMD page has a quick breakdown of the candidates' various positions on health in general. The second Webpage addresses briefly a few candidates' positions on mental health issues. Personally I would stay away from a candidate who doesn't believe in evolution..they may be a little weak on the whole science thing.

http://www.webmd.com/election2008/default.htm

http://bipolar.about.com/od/socialissues/a/presidential.htm

Personally I would stay away from a candidate who doesn't believe in evolution..they may be a little weak on the whole science thing.
Which candidate doesn't believe in evolution?

Overweight people IMHO ought to pay more for their healthcare. You want to piss in the well? You got to drink it. That goes for anyone who engages in clear lifestyle choices that'll engage in increased medical fees for the community. In NJ there's a point system attached to traffic violations. You get more points, you get higher insurance rates. Same system ought to happen in the US for managed care. (Reminder, I'm talking lifestyle choices, I'm not talking about medical conditions where the person had no choice such as a genetic disease).

You want people to be responsible for their own destinies and actions? Cross off all the democrats then. :D

Cross off all the democrats then.

Life's not so simple for me. I got a bunch of things I like on the left or the right. I guess I cancel out to a moderate.
But who the heck's heard of a passionate moderate?

But at least when it comes to healthcare--I'm on the side of holding people accountable for their own health, all things being equal. Again, someone with a genetic disease or something like that shouldn't be penalized.

But some overweight man with c-cup breasts breasts (due to lifestyle choices), smokes a pack a day, potato chip inhaling person in the ER once a week because they got nothing better to do so he got smashed on Jack Daniels, and then add to that is noncompliant on his diabetic meds (and don't accuse me of not being sympathetic-he's been given the speech that he needs to stop all this but doesn't listen to you), ought to pay more.

Life's not so simple for me. There's a bunch of things the right does that bugs me, but there's also a bunch of things that the left does that bugs me as well.

I guess I'm just an extremist moderate--if there is such a thing.

I got views on the left & the right (if there is such a thing anymore-seems like what used to be L&R isn't that anymore) that I happen to be very passionate about. I guess all in all, I cancel out to a moderate.

But who's the heck heard of a passionate extremist moderate?

whopper, if you run for office as a "passionate, extremist moderate", you have my vote, no questions asked. :thumbup:

Life's not so simple for me. I got a bunch of things I like on the left or the right. I guess I cancel out to a moderate.
But who the heck's heard of a passionate moderate?

But at least when it comes to healthcare--I'm on the side of holding people accountable for their own health, all things being equal. Again, someone with a genetic disease or something like that shouldn't be penalized.

But some overweight man with c-cup breasts breasts (due to lifestyle choices), smokes a pack a day, potato chip inhaling person in the ER once a week because they got nothing better to do so he got smashed on Jack Daniels, and then add to that is noncompliant on his diabetic meds (and don't accuse me of not being sympathetic-he's been given the speech that he needs to stop all this but doesn't listen to you), ought to pay more.

Ah yes, but who's to argue that his issues are "purely" lifestyle choice, vs. influenced by some genetic predisposition to obesity, alcoholism, and diabetes? Or maybe a manifestation of a family history of depression combined with childhood victimization? Who will make these decisions? (I vote for President Whopper, the Passionate Moderate! :D) What level of bureacracy will we now need to invoke to track these factors? :confused:

Particularly in mental health, I think that ascribing the level of responsibility a patient has for their illness is a very slippery slope indeed, and I believe it will ultimately lead to re-stigmatization and marginalization of our patients, and to a reversal of the limited progress being made toward parity. :(

Life really isn't simple. Bottom line is, all health care costs must be paid. The main choice will be whether they are paid by taxpayers via government programs, or by consumers (indirectly through the lower wages you are paid in a trade-off for employer-provided health care benefits and the higher prices you pay for goods and services because of the cost of providing these benefits to the employees of the companies you do business with).

Personally, I'm not hearing ANY of the candidates talk in real terms about these things...

True...
I was just getting on a soapbox rant with a sarcastic tone. Life is truly not as simple.
Every patient has a potentially complex reason for why they are in their current position.

You get the idea (I think)...

When people for example don't listen to their docs, and come back with even worse problems (and higher costs of care), people don't factor the results they have on the communal fund. They only factor in the effect it has upon themselves, if even that.

IMHO people should be held accountable for decisions they make that are within a patient's responsibility to understand that are a direct result of lifestyle choices (weight, cholesterol levels, blood pressure, smoking, not including things such as genetic hyperlipidemia which can be easily discovered based on a lab test).

This does not go down the level of a patient-doctor relationship. It goes down the level of their payment structure with their current medical provider, or things where there is no stigma caused--such as a fat tax (want a box of oreos? Pay a little extra), or for example providing people with healthy alternatives at the cafeteria in school so the kids that choose to eat healthy can do so. See Supersize Me? The kids in several schools are only offered unhealthy food in cafeterias.

There are several who cannot afford insurance who are working & responsible. Rewarding people willing to take responsibility can reduce wasted funds and allow many more of these people to get affordable healthcare.

American society has lived with excesses for several years. Adding incentives & disincentives to promote prosocial behavior will shift funds from treating preventable problems to treating those more in need, while making healthcare more affordable for everyone. Someone paying $200 a month to the insurance company who is obese & smokes costs much more than the other person paying $200 who excercises, doesn't smoke & watches their weight.

Pushing personal responsibility need not be seen as only "punishing" those with unhealthy lifestyles. It can also add rewards such as credits for compliance, meeting realistic goals with small steps of improvement, tax deductions/credits for things such as gym memberships, excercise equipment etc.

Anyways, anyone here know that Ron Paul has an M.D.? He was a practicing Ob-Gyn. I, however do agree more with the platforms of some of his competitors.

Anyways, anyone here know that Ron Paul has an M.D.? He was a practicing Ob-Gyn. I, however do agree more with the platforms of some of his competitors.
Yup. He's mentioned something about delivering thousands of babies and not seeing how someone could support abortion. I'm quite split on the issue (in cases of rape, incest, etc....but *not* a form of BC, which is sadly what it has become for some).

-t

I'm not a Ron Paul supporter. I respect him, think he's a guy I'd love to have as a neighbor or friend, but disagree with a lot of his platforms.

I'm actually not finding a candidate I really like, though I feel the selection is much better than the last election.

But consider this dichotomy.

Paul-a Republican & Ob-Gyn physician
http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul339.html

vs

Edwards-a Democrat & malpractice trial lawyer
http://www.johnedwards.com/issues/health-care/

Not saying I'm for or against either one, just thought the dichotomy was interesting given their backgrounds.

Ah yes, but who's to argue that his issues are "purely" lifestyle choice, vs. influenced by some genetic predisposition to obesity, alcoholism, and diabetes? Or maybe a manifestation of a family history of depression combined with childhood victimization? Who will make these decisions? (I vote for President Whopper, the Passionate Moderate! :D) What level of bureacracy will we now need to invoke to track these factors? :confused:

Particularly in mental health, I think that ascribing the level of responsibility a patient has for their illness is a very slippery slope indeed, and I believe it will ultimately lead to re-stigmatization and marginalization of our patients, and to a reversal of the limited progress being made toward parity. :(
I am glad it is not just me that can see this side of the argument...

Ah yes, but who's to argue that his issues are "purely" lifestyle choice, vs. influenced by some genetic predisposition to obesity, alcoholism, and diabetes? Or maybe a manifestation of a family history of depression combined with childhood victimization? Who will make these decisions?

I will.

Reminds me of the "neutral planet" in Futurama.

==Planet Express Ship on Collission Course with the Neutral Planet==
Zap Brannigan waves "the white flag of war" and gives the planet a peaceful message.

Neutral Planet Executive #1: Should we trust them, your neutralness?
Neutral Planet President: All I know is, my gut says 'maybe.'
==============================================
Grand Councilwoman Glab: What are your thoughts on this momentous occasion, Your Neutralness?
Neutral President: I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
==============================================
Zapp Brannigan: What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?