Which program did you rank #1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which program did you rank #1 during the 2005 EM Match?

• Emory

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • UNC

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Carolinas

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Duke

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Indiana

• Cinci

• Denver

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Highland

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • UCLA Harbor

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • BIDMC

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Brigham

• Boston Med Center

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Hopkins

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • University of Chicago

• Cook County

• Northwestern

• NYU Bellevue

• Kings County

• University of Michigan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other... Feel free to post

Votes: 42 42.9%

• Total voters

waterski232002

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious how many people ranked some of the following common programs number one during the 2005 EM Match...

Members don't see this ad.

LSU-Shreveport for me. I rotated there and my wife is from there so we are hoping to make it back.

Members don't see this ad :)
JACOBI? After perusing many of these types of threads, there seems to be very little mention of this classic program. As one not associated with it, but familiar with it from previous experience, I would expect more mention of it. It is one of the oldest, most established programs, it has alumni in most other major programs, many of whom lead the programs, it was one of, if not the creator of "graduated responsibility", it continues to have considerable amount of trauma with maintenance of autonomy during them, and has an Annals editor as its department chief. As far as I can recall it was always considered a powerhouse. What is the current word on Jacobi?

TTAE said:
JACOBI? After perusing many of these types of threads, there seems to be very little mention of this classic program. As one not associated with it, but familiar with it from previous experience, I would expect more mention of it. It is one of the oldest, most established programs, it has alumni in most other major programs, many of whom lead the programs, it was one of, if not the creator of "graduated responsibility", it continues to have considerable amount of trauma with maintenance of autonomy during them, and has an Annals editor as its department chief. As far as I can recall it was always considered a powerhouse. What is the current word on Jacobi?

Almost exactly the same post as in another thread, and it seems like you know all you need to already. Are you already there (ie, a 'ringer')? The "not associated, but familiar from previous experience" sounds a little obscure. AECOM student?

Anyways, what about Jacobi? If people on SDN aren't from there, or haven't interviewed there, how can they talk about it?

How about Hennepin, you're killing me :)

christiana

Apollyon said:
Almost exactly the same post as in another thread, and it seems like you know all you need to already. Are you already there (ie, a 'ringer')? The "not associated, but familiar from previous experience" sounds a little obscure. AECOM student?

Anyways, what about Jacobi? If people on SDN aren't from there, or haven't interviewed there, how can they talk about it?

In fact the posts were exactly that same (good 'ol cut and paste). But no, no "ringing" here. Used to work there when I was younger, before the MD. Just wondered what has happened since. Funny though, your suspicion that is... must be match season.

So after 44 votes, no one program has more than 3. I guess this would explain why everyone on these boards seems to get their #1 choice; it doesn't look like we're really trying to elbow each other out of the way to get to any one program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hercules said:
So after 44 votes, no one program has more than 3. I guess this would explain why everyone on these boards seems to get their #1 choice; it doesn't look like we're really trying to elbow each other out of the way to get to any one program.

Bingo! Except for my #1 pick that is. I'm expecting some serious pressure getting into that most competitive of all EM programs..."Other".

This is probably a good indicator that all that advice we got about the decision really being a personal one was accurate. One more reason I'm glad I'm doing EM instead of, say, medicine where there is a clear hierarchy of programs (or so I'm told).

Take care and good luck!
Jeff

T-10 days and counting

Jeff698 said:
Bingo! Except for my #1 pick that is. I'm expecting some serious pressure getting into that most competitive of all EM programs..."Other".

This is probably a good indicator that all that advice we got about the decision really being a personal one was accurate. One more reason I'm glad I'm doing EM instead of, say, medicine where there is a clear hierarchy of programs (or so I'm told).

Take care and good luck!
Jeff

T-10 days and counting
Hey Jeff, good luck man! :)

An old OPMer....

Hercules, I always thought you were gonna go Vandy. ;)

North Shore Manhasset

Hercules said:

I'm glad to be going into the same field as you all. Save the herd mentality for the fleas.

My #1... UNM
... closely followed by others listed in the poll.

Happy St. Patty's Day :luck:

EPA7X1 said:
Palmetto Health

Hercules, I always thought you were gonna go Vandy. ;)

It was a tough choice for me between Vandy and UAB, but geography and a great job offer for my wife helped swing the balance in UAB's favor. BTW, I liked your blog!

Hercules said:
It was a tough choice for me between Vandy and UAB, but geography and a great job offer for my wife helped swing the balance in UAB's favor. BTW, I liked your blog!

Thanks! We rotated together at Vandy; that's why I said that. Hope you get your first choice! :)

EvoDevo said:
Hey Jeff, good luck man! :)

An old OPMer....

Thanks, fellow-geezer! :D

Take care,
Jeff

T-9 days (not that I'm counting)

Apollyon said:

I would have to agree with TTAE, Jacobi is probably one of the most under rated programs out there. Jacobi has a great mix of patients, great pathology and one of the few programs out there who totally control trauma. There is no alternating of intubations, no succession of responsibility once a trauma surgeon "shows up", no daily struggle with trauma and you learn how to be an attending in your fourth year and manage an ED.

All that said, it was my #1.