Which program MSW or Counseling (want to be a counselor/therapist)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cocopepper

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to both a counselor program (through Department of Education) and MSW program (in Health Sciences) at my local state school. I already have an MA in Anthropology. I want to become a psychotherapist. Both programs are two years. The Counseling program is clinical (we start counseling clients our first fall). The MSW program is "advanced generalist," so any counseling experience would have to come from internship hours. Having interviewed both, I get the feeling that the MSW program is more academically rigorous (the application process was much more difficult). The counseling program comes across as warm and fuzzy. I want to be a counselor (most likely in private practice), but do appreciate the career flexibility offered by the MSW. I am afraid that I won't get the needed experience through the MSW program to be a counselor.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been accepted to both a counselor program (through Department of Education) and MSW program (in Health Sciences) at my local state school. I already have an MA in Anthropology. I want to become a psychotherapist. Both programs are two years. The Counseling program is clinical (we start counseling clients our first fall). The MSW program is "advanced generalist," so any counseling experience would have to come from internship hours. Having interviewed both, I get the feeling that the MSW program is more academically rigorous (the application process was much more difficult). The counseling program comes across as warm and fuzzy. I want to be a counselor (most likely in private practice), but do appreciate the career flexibility offered by the MSW. I am afraid that I won't get the needed experience through the MSW program to be a counselor.

I would look at a couple of different factors. Is the Counseling program CACREP Accredited? If not it can definitely complicate the process when applying for licensure or transferring across states. Also look at the the trends in your area for which licensure has the most visibility. Does the MSW have a mental health track? If so you will likely get similar coursework. The general philosophy between the masters in counseling and the masters in social work is different however that does make one bad, it just means the approach might be a little different. However, generally speaking, you are going to get the most knowledge and skills from practicum and internship. I attended a 4 year parttiime MSW Program for one year before leaving and eventually transferred and completed my Masters in Counseling. For me it was a much better choice and fit. I enjoyed the sole focus on Counseling from the get go. However, the MSW by far has the greatest portability. You can reach your goals with either program, and can supplement your training with workshops or conferences if you want to learn more. Best of luck.

Reactions: 2 users
I would look at a couple of different factors. Is the Counseling program CACREP Accredited? If not it can definitely complicate the process when applying for licensure or transferring across states. Also look at the the trends in your area for which licensure has the most visibility. Does the MSW have a mental health track? If so you will likely get similar coursework. The general philosophy between the masters in counseling and the masters in social work is different however that does make one bad, it just means the approach might be a little different. However, generally speaking, you are going to get the most knowledge and skills from practicum and internship. I attended a 4 year parttiime MSW Program for one year before leaving and eventually transferred and completed my Masters in Counseling. For me it was a much better choice and fit. I enjoyed the sole focus on Counseling from the get go. However, the MSW by far has the greatest portability. You can reach your goals with either program, and can supplement your training with workshops or conferences if you want to learn more. Best of luck.

Thanks for sharing your experience. May I ask what specifically made you leave the MSW program and why you fit better with Counseling? Also, are there any doors that were shut for you because of making this switch? Any that were opened? Is it correct that LPCs cannot bill Medicaid/Medicare?
The deadline for the Counseling program is tomorrow at 5. So I'm definitely feeling the pressure to make a decision ASAP. Having spent so much time in Anthropology (MA + all PhD coursework), I'm eager to get to learning and applying practical skills. As such, the counseling program appeals to me because it's clinical. It's also CACREP accredited. They have two tracks school counseling and mental health. The two tracks only differ by one course. Apparently if you do the school track, you can also do work as a private counselor. I live in Wyoming, so I'm not sure how that transfers between states. The MSW program DOES NOT have a mental health track. In fact, looking over the course offerings, I only see two classes that specifically mention mental health.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my experience, the quality of an education is also in part due to what the student puts into their studies. Certainly, the msw is more portable and often in my area is able to bill more insurance. However, the msw straight from graduate school is not a seasoned clinician. It takes years of practice and supervision to be a competent provider. a counseling student has more theory for beginning practice. I do note that in my area the msw is preferred by large agencies because of the standardization with education and easier billing. In my area, directors are often msw and the psychiatrists prefer them in the agencies I have worked for. as far as initially, the philosophy between the two professions and training in school is the major difference. In practice, we do just about the same work when it comes to psychotherapy. In reality, in my experience, msw has more options. ....In my opinion.

Also, are there any doors that were shut for you because of making this switch?Any that were opened?

Is it correct that LPCs cannot bill Medicaid/Medicare?

The deadline for the Counseling program is tomorrow at 5.

I live in Wyoming, so I'm not sure how that transfers between states. The MSW program DOES NOT have a mental health track. In fact, looking over the course offerings, I only see two classes that specifically mention mental health.

1) I could not work where I work, or the population that I work with if I could not bill Medicare. It would be really difficult to get my foot in the door if I was an LPC. I work on an academic medical center in our cancer center. In my role I do traditional therapy, integrated behavioral health, brief psychotherapy, and case management. Honestly, its the perfect job for me.

2) LPCs can bill Medicaid in my state, they cannot bill Medicare (anywhere, because that's federal). Medicaid billing will be determined state by state, though honestly I can't think of a state that I've heard won't allow LPCs/LMHC bill medicaid.

3) OOOOOH what did you decide?

4) This is hard. It is hard to become a therapist and learn therapy AFTER you graduate. I didn't necessarily want to do strict one-on-one therapy, rather I wanted to do exactly what I'm doing, so yeah, it was a perfect fit for me. Some MSW programs do a great job of teaching clinical stuff, some are terrible at it. I was really lucky and had an amazing supervisor and great training. I also had a great practicum before I graduated where I also received excellent therapy training.

Reactions: 1 user
1) I could not work where I work, or the population that I work with if I could not bill Medicare. It would be really difficult to get my foot in the door if I was an LPC. I work on an academic medical center in our cancer center. In my role I do traditional therapy, integrated behavioral health, brief psychotherapy, and case management. Honestly, its the perfect job for me.

2) LPCs can bill Medicaid in my state, they cannot bill Medicare (anywhere, because that's federal). Medicaid billing will be determined state by state, though honestly I can't think of a state that I've heard won't allow LPCs/LMHC bill medicaid.

3) OOOOOH what did you decide?

4) This is hard. It is hard to become a therapist and learn therapy AFTER you graduate. I didn't necessarily want to do strict one-on-one therapy, rather I wanted to do exactly what I'm doing, so yeah, it was a perfect fit for me. Some MSW programs do a great job of teaching clinical stuff, some are terrible at it. I was really lucky and had an amazing supervisor and great training. I also had a great practicum before I graduated where I also received excellent therapy training.
Some MSW programs do a great job of teaching clinical stuff, some are terrible at it. I was really lucky and had an amazing supervisor and great training. I also had a great practicum before I graduated where I also received excellent therapy training.

Can I ask which MSW program you attended where you received great therapy training?

counceling program is better
Counseling

I went MSW route myself, the flexibility of being able to bill Medicare/Medicaid is great since I work in community mental health under medical non-profit agency.
I understand it's been a while, which route did you end up going and is it what you expected?