Which programs are known to screen by Step 1 score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whizkidytj

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious to see what everyone knows on this subject. I've heard 230 or 240 as the most common cutoffs...

Members don't see this ad.

I would say all of them screen by Step 1 to some degree.

If you have a low or even low-average step 1 score (arbitrarily <225) you will have difficulty getting interviews unless you have something amazing in your corner such as: Multiple first author papers in premier journals with a solid record of bench research, a PhD from a highly respected program, previously completed a pathology residency with Dermpath fellowship, a glowing letter of recommendation from Bernie Ackerman (dated prior to his death in 2008 - may he rest in peace) saying that you are his A number 1 guy.

Other than having the above, your best shot is to do multiple away rotations and be extraordinarily impressive. Also, depending on your home program, you may find that they are more forgiving than others in terms of an unimpressive Step 1.

Also, if you feel that you are able to work a room well, you could consider submitting papers to present at national meetings such as the AAD. If you believe you can come off charming and intelligent yet not slimy or arrogant when networking with some of the Chairmen/PD - it could pay dividends.

I would assert that all programs screen, no matter what they say.

Also, you'd be sickened to know how much connections will make you. You'd be even more sickened to know how some attendings and program directors will make nice to you, but stab you in the back. I've seen it happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with all of the above. Since every applicant applies to nearly every program, they all end up with a massive number of candidates and have to screen in some way. Honestly, I would say that you step one score and the photo that shows up in ERAS are the first filters.

One wonders what score they use to screen though....

One wonders what score they use to screen though....

One logical progression would go like this. Not all programs do this, but I know of several who do.

1. Establish a list of "must interview" candidates based on who they are familiar with, and who they like.

Most programs interview all home candidates. Most medium/small programs interview all who students who rotate through the program out of courtesy, unless you are really bad. In my experience, a lot of the really big name places don't always do this. Same goes for research experiences. If a certain powerhouse research program has 70 students and researchers apply in the same year, they can't interview them all.

2. After establishing the list of must interviews (I would estimate somewhere around 25%-40% of the total number of candidates interviewed), then the programs start to filter out based on step scores, AOA Status, Class Rank and location.

This process would explain the phenomenon of candidates matching with extremely low Step 1 scores (<190)

As for the exact number, after speaking with a few insiders, 240/99 seems to be common, however I did hear of a program up north screening out with 250's. However, it's also common for such programs to not find enough suitable candidates at one particular score plateau and subsequently lowering it. One other north/midwestern program made a big point of stating in their letter that they didn't use single item to screen out candidates.

One thing is certain though, the number will continue to increase. In the last 5 years the national average step 1 score has increased by 10 points. The national average step 2 score has increased by 15.

Just curious to see what everyone knows on this subject. I've heard 230 or 240 as the most common cutoffs...

Again this changes from program to program but I suspect it also changes year to year, I know our program has a fluid cutoff that moves in order to screen the # of applicants to a certain size.

Agree with all of the above. Since every applicant applies to nearly every program, they all end up with a massive number of candidates and have to screen in some way. Honestly, I would say that you step one score and the photo that shows up in ERAS are the first filters.

I hope they don't lean on my picture too much. I have a face only a mother could love.