Which programs are participating in the match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crompy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've recently begun my M4 year and plan to apply for radonc. The question I have is where can I find out a listing of programs that are participating in the match? The only website I know that comprehensively lists the programs is the FREIDA/AMA site, and according to what it says when I select Radiation Oncology and 'SearchPlus' almost half of the programs say No under both 'Accepting applications this year' and 'Accepting applications next year.'

It seems unlikely that so few programs are accepting applications, so I believe this must be inaccurate but I suppose anything is possible. Is anyone aware of a more accurate listing anywhere?

Also, I had a question about letters of recommendation. What are the most that any programs asked for? Do most want 3? Do many want 4? Are there any what want more than 4?

Thank you for any light that can be shed on the above.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm new to this myself and noticed the same discrepancy on FRIEDA (not recently updated), but to really make sure, I just called the programs myself to see if they're interviewing this season. It would be nice to have a list or if there isn't one already.

FREIDA is not really that reliable. ERAS is a little better once they give you the sign-in token to start putting your app together, but there were still a few programs that said they were taking ERAS applications, and it took your money for the application, only to later find out that they did not actually have any spots.

Yes, you can always call programs and find out if they are taking applicants, but in all honesty most people (at least those with any sense, IMHO) apply to so many programs that it may not be reasonable to call up every program that you are maybe only moderately interested in just to make sure you are not throwing your money away.

Maybe we should just list which programs are not interviewing this season for 2010.