Which programs are the very best? DO friendly and unfriendly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slinkeyooo

sleeper
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering which er programs are rated the best both allo and osteo. Also, which allo er programs are DO friendly and unfriendly? I did a search on this but nothing concrete came up...

Members don't see this ad.

You're so gonna get "Fattied."

Members don't see this ad :)
i think a reasonable question is which allopathic programs are DO friendly? but then again, i imagine that has also been discussed at somepoint in time. just remove the word "best" from your question, and people will take you seriously.

also, tell us where you're interested, and maybe some of the vets will help point you in the general direction of some programs that are DO friendly... but these days, it seems like the majority of the programs are DO friendly. mine is (cook county)

According to US News and World Report, the best program is the one run by Dr. Fatty McFattypants.

Go to the programs websites and check out their resident profiles. If they have a DO, chances are they are DO friendly.

Check out emramatch.org. It's free and it even tells you how many DOs are or have been at the program.

Personally I would not go to a DO EM residency but that is just me. Im sure there are definately decent ones out there. For me I just thought I'd get better training and exposure at a level 1 allopathic institution.

Good luck.

Go to the programs websites and check out their resident profiles. If they have a DO, chances are they are DO friendly.

Check out emramatch.org. It's free and it even tells you how many DOs are or have been at the program.

Personally I would not go to a DO EM residency but that is just me. Im sure there are definately decent ones out there. For me I just thought I'd get better training and exposure at a level 1 allopathic institution.

Good luck.

Thank you for calling. The estimated wait time is [EIGHT MINUTES]. Please consult the FAQ. This is a recording.

Another great site for DO's is the www.acoepsc.org, it has information about the student chapter and residency programs. More detailed information is available on each program at the www.do-online.org "opportunities" section.

Be careful of the biased opinions of students, there are great allopathic AND osteopathic programs, both have level I trauma opportunities. Also, don't feel pressured to find a level I program, you can great experience in some level II centers where you're not watching the surgical residents on the trauma team, and in these programs your trauma rotation will be at a neighboring level I, where you'll spend your time there on the trauma team.

You have plenty of time to look around, talk with as many residency program directors as you can, everyone as their own way of doing things, you need to find which one fits you.

Another great site for DO's is the www.acoepsc.org, it has information about the student chapter and residency programs. More detailed information is available on each program at the www.do-online.org "opportunities" section.

Be careful of the biased opinions of students, there are great allopathic AND osteopathic programs, both have level I trauma opportunities. Also, don't feel pressured to find a level I program, you can great experience in some level II centers where you're not watching the surgical residents on the trauma team, and in these programs your trauma rotation will be at a neighboring level I, where you'll spend your time there on the trauma team.

You have plenty of time to look around, talk with as many residency program directors as you can, everyone as their own way of doing things, you need to find which one fits you.

That ACOEP website is pisspoor. The links take you to the main hospital webpage. That is the problem with all DO specialties other than FM. There is no central clearing house of info, and until they get their act together, DO's will continue to believe that allopathic programs are better. And I hate to tell you this, but EM residents at level I's do more than "watch their surgical colleagues" in a trauma. I think you are getting a little ahead of your knowledge.

That ACOEP website is pisspoor. The links take you to the main hospital webpage. That is the problem with all DO specialties other than FM. There is no central clearing house of info, and until they get their act together, DO's will continue to believe that allopathic programs are better. And I hate to tell you this, but EM residents at level I's do more than "watch their surgical colleagues" in a trauma. I think you are getting a little ahead of your knowledge.
My mistake, I did not intend to put down any programs. I was only trying to make the point that you don't need to be at a level I program to get good trauma exposure.

The AOA website at www.do-online.org has an "opportunities" database that works like AMSA's FREIDA site, it can be accessed directly at opportunities.osteopathic.org. This includes information for all AOA approved programs and can be searched by specialty and location.