Which programs offer "hands-off" OMFS externships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jumpman26

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rising D2 here, thinking about doing an externship in the winter IF covid permits it. Ideally I want to do an externship where I am mostly observing, because I haven't done any clinical OS yet in school and I don't think id be able to contribute in clinic or OR

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt most will do externships this year. But here's my 2 cents:

I would say honestly don't worry too much about not knowing much - as long as you are aware and open about it people *should* be nice and help you out. They usually want to help you learn and probably don't expect you to actually know anything.
I would focus more on externing where you might want to go, especially because some can be expensive to visit (plane/car, hotel at some, food, ect). A lot of people go to their home program first and I'd hope they would know a bit about what you've learned so far so it shouldn't be too bad.

To actually answer the question: I think UW is hands off unless you go there already!

Members don't see this ad :)
Rising D2 here, thinking about doing an externship in the winter IF covid permits it. Ideally I want to do an externship where I am mostly observing, because I haven't done any clinical OS yet in school and I don't think id be able to contribute in clinic or OR

I have a feeling almost all externships are going to become "observerships" and be hands-off because of the circumstances. A lot won't start up again until next spring more than likely, too.

Michigan, Rutgers, MGH, Penn, UW, Cornell are hands off.