OMFS Externship at program AFTER Pass Deadline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeethAreKewl

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Had a quick question - is it not advised to do an externship (as in it will not benefit your app) at a program who’s deadline for submission has just passed? One such program I am interested in is a deadline of 9/1 however my next school break for which we are cleared to do externships is from 9/4 - 9/25. I was hoping to attend 9/4 - 9/8, however I am wondering if this time may be better spent at an externship for a program who’s deadline may be 9/15, 10/1, or 10/15 despite my interest in the original program. I suppose my main concern is that apps will have already been read, and my time spent will be for naught.

Petty questions from a nervous applicant - thanks for your time,

Members don't see this ad.

typically program director isn't gonna sit down the minute the deadline is up to evalute applications, and even if he does, it takes time to get through the stash so you should be fine. Just go and put your best foot forward. If they like you you'll likely get an interview, but that's a big IF, mainly because being a good extern is difficult.

Your rule of thumb is to take as much call as possible, EARLY is on time, on time is late, and you are not going to impress anyone with questions in the OR (if you have a burning question, I'd keep it to yourself and ask the intern when ya'll are on call), stay strapped with tongue depressors, have a penlight, and have a good attitude (even-keeled, not clownish happy).

Reactions: 2 users
As far as I know, once you have at least three externships, the number of externships does not affect the chance of getting an interview. However, doing more externships can only be beneficial regardless of when you do them for the following reasons:

1. if you are doing it at a program you have applied to, it will be an excellent opportunity for you to get a feel for the program and for the program to get to know you better. However, you have to make sure that you are the best version of yourself as it could potentially work against you

2. if you are doing it at a program you did not apply to, although I do not recommend this, it could also be beneficial because you will gain more exposure in OMS and will have more to talk about on your interviews

Also, you can always update your CV after you have submitted your application.

As far as I know, once you have at least three externships, the number of externships does not affect the chance of getting an interview. However, doing more externships can only be beneficial regardless of when you do them for the following reasons:

1. if you are doing it at a program you have applied to, it will be an excellent opportunity for you to get a feel for the program and for the program to get to know you better. However, you have to make sure that you are the best version of yourself as it could potentially work against you

2. if you are doing it at a program you did not apply to, although I do not recommend this, it could also be beneficial because you will gain more exposure in OMS and will have more to talk about on your interviews

Also, you can always update your CV after you have submitted your application.
typically program director isn't gonna sit down the minute the deadline is up to evalute applications, and even if he does, it takes time to get through the stash so you should be fine. Just go and put your best foot forward. If they like you you'll likely get an interview, but that's a big IF, mainly because being a good extern is difficult.

Your rule of thumb is to take as much call as possible, EARLY is on time, on time is late, and you are not going to impress anyone with questions in the OR (if you have a burning question, I'd keep it to yourself and ask the intern when ya'll are on call), stay strapped with tongue depressors, have a penlight, and have a good attitude (even-keeled, not clownish happy).

Perfect answers I was looking for - thanks so much for taking the time to respond!