Which programs provide residents with the most "hands-on" training in forensic pathology? Which provide the least?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pastavangelist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I learned that some residency programs only allow residents to "observe" forensic autopsies, with little or no hands-on involvement in any part of the process. Can anyone provide insight on which institutions have decent hands-on experience, or institutions that are observation only?

Even if you only know how things are done where you are training, it's still very useful information that is likely not provided on the institution's website. I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Forensic pathologist here-most ME offices with a residency affiliation will allow a rotating resident to at least assist with the natural and accidental cases. I certainly have no problem turning over dissection to such a case to an upper level resident. For your own protection resident involvement with a homicide is going to be primarily limited to observation.

Thank you for your input. Do the residents at most ME offices also write the autopsy reports for the cases they perform?

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s my feeling that if you tell them you are interested in forensic pathology they will let you assist. Also depends on the forensic pathologist you are working with.

I think they assume you don’t want to do forensics unless you tell them you are interested because most Path residents aren’t interested.

The ME is separate from most residency programs. They don’t interact much with the anatomic pathologists in the program itself.

I don’t see why they wouldn’t give you the opportunity to assist or help write up reports if you told them you were interested in forensics as a career.

I always allow a resident to write up the case that they have cut otherwise they are simply acting as a diener.

I learned that some residency programs only allow residents to "observe" forensic autopsies, with little or no hands-on involvement in any part of the process. Can anyone provide insight on which institutions have decent hands-on experience, or institutions that are observation only?

Even if you only know how things are done where you are training, it's still very useful information that is likely not provided on the institution's website. I appreciate it.

I would highly recommend consider UTMB at Galveston. They do a lot of autopsies at the hospital and there is a close interaction with the local ME office. In fact, a lot of cases they do as a hospital autopsies would be treated as forensic cases in many other jurisdictions. Prisoners expired in a jail hospital is a good example.

I interviewed at U. Maryland (in Baltimore) and they seemed to have a particularly close relationship with the ME.

From interviews, I remember that the University of New Mexico has a very close relationship with the ME. At my program, forensics is a two week rotation, and even if you show interest, you're only allowed to observe. And unfortunately, there's absolutely no follow up. You don't get to see slides or how cases were signed out.

Reactions: 1 user
UTMB, the students I know there who are interested get lots of experience.

Most of the NYC programs allow residents interested in Forensics to do 1-2 months Elective at the OCME office in Manhattan (which is, as you know, one of the busiest and best).

As others are saying anywhere with a big ME office nearby should be able to create that kind of arrangement.

New Mexico, Boston, Miami, Chicago, Detroit, LA, and of course NYC are the ones I think of first.

Most of the NYC programs allow residents interested in Forensics to do 1-2 months Elective at the OCME office in Manhattan (which is, as you know, one of the busiest and best).

As others are saying anywhere with a big ME office nearby should be able to create that kind of arrangement.

New Mexico, Boston, Miami, Chicago, Detroit, LA, and of course NYC are the ones I think of first.

My two cents - programs must send residents over to ME office at least for one rotation and it is not an elective, it is mandatory rotation.
Otherwise it would be a violation of ACGME rules.
Then residents can use their elective time if they would like to spend more then one rotation at the office.

From interviews, I remember that the University of New Mexico has a very close relationship with the ME. At my program, forensics is a two week rotation, and even if you show interest, you're only allowed to observe. And unfortunately, there's absolutely no follow up. You don't get to see slides or how cases were signed out.

I was also going to suggest the program at New Mexico. They appear to have a strong forensics program associated with the residency program.

I think this is a bad way of looking at it. If you walk into a solid residency program and then told them you really wanted to focus on your FP rotations Im sure you would get the exposure you need. Then go the FP folks and just tell them hey I want to make that a career. Assuming you are a normally socialized human being, you will be fine. I would say many programs have observation rotations in FP because people arent into it, only study it for the boards and likely are not normally socialized to begin with.

Hate to tell you, but Im afraid there is plenty of homicide crime to go around here, especially in California. Lots of unsolved stuff too, dead homeless people everywhere, charred remains from massive forest fires obliterating whole towns.

Pretty much Mad Max Fury road. Lots of good training.

Last edited:
I have been told by my FP friends that this is the premiere forensics program.

Reactions: 1 user