which Qbank should i use during rotations. kaplan or UW?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jennah

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Helloo everyone...
i just started my clinical rotations and i wanted to use a qBank to study for Step IIck during my third year. which one should i use.. am debating between doing 12mo of kaplan and 6mo of UW.. or just 12mo of UW.. and does anyone know when should we take step IIck and CS in order to make it for Match 2014????

Members don't see this ad.

Do both. You'll have lots of time if you start early.

UWorld is always #1

but some of the Kaplan questions are worth going over (though a number of them will be mind numbingly unfair and frustrating. i.e. a very long winded vignette plus lots of tricks and traps along the lines of obscuring the diagnosis between 2 choices, omitting the key physical exam finding or lab finding to help you, and forcing you to rely on clinical judgment based on a very little known obscure fact to get the right answer)

FYI: The biggest nuisance and danger of doing multiple QBanks for Step 2 or 3 is the fact that on certain "controversial topics," different Qbanks may give you different answers, criteria, or treatment pathways.

For these, you will end up scouring research papers and UpToDate for hours trying to get the bottom line and all you get is "some studies show this, other studies show that..."

But overall, the benefits outweigh the nuisances.

Last edited:
Do both. You'll have lots of time if you start early.

UWorld is always #1

but some of the Kaplan questions are worth going over (though a number of them will be mind numbingly unfair and frustrating. i.e. a very long winded vignette plus lots of tricks and traps along the lines of obscuring the diagnosis between 2 choices, omitting the key physical exam finding or lab finding to help you, and forcing you to rely on clinical judgment based on a very little known obscure fact to get the right answer)

FYI: The biggest nuisance and danger of doing multiple QBanks for Step 2 or 3 is the fact that on certain "controversial topics," different Qbanks may give you different answers, criteria, or treatment pathways.

For these, you will end up scouring research papers and UpToDate for hours trying to get the bottom line and all you get is "some studies show this, other studies show that..."

But overall, the benefits outweigh the nuisances.

Thanks. Seems like you got through Kaplan Qbank so maybe I can ask you the breakdown of how many questions there are in each section roughly (i.e. how many IM, Surg, Peds questions)? Thanks in advance :)

I would just pick one and go with it. Uworld seems to be the most realistic, although all qbanks have more trick questions then you ever see on the real exam. Add NMS review for step 2. 1000 questions, very straightforward, can be bought off amazon for just a few dollars. Don't buy Kaplan if you have Uworld.

The best way is to use Uworld to prepare for shelf exams. During IM rotation, do IM questions, Ob rotation, do OB questions. You will be pretty tired after some days so one qbank should be enough.

I would just pick one and go with it. Uworld seems to be the most realistic, although all qbanks have more trick questions then you ever see on the real exam. Add NMS review for step 2. 1000 questions, very straightforward, can be bought off amazon for just a few dollars. Don't buy Kaplan if you have Uworld.

The best way is to use Uworld to prepare for shelf exams. During IM rotation, do IM questions, Ob rotation, do OB questions. You will be pretty tired after some days so one qbank should be enough.