1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Which research position should I take?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by CornellMan, Sep 6, 2014.

1. CornellMan

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Current undergrad here majoring in bio. I am really interested in undergraduate research, and I was just offered two positions in pretty different labs. Both have great reputations are well funded. One is working in Cell & molecular bio and the other is in molecular medicine. The lab in the former is pretty large (good number of post-docs, grad students, undergrads) with a well-known PI, and I really wasn't given the chance to talk to the PI about what kind of work I would be doing (although I was told i'd be assigned to a grad student). The other lab is much smaller (there would only be three of us), and I'd probably have a much greater involvement in the work. The PI seems really nice and passionate about having me engage directly in his work. One thing I should point out though is that the hours per week demanded in the molecular medicine lab would probable be a lot more, but the opportunities for publications seem greater in this lab. Any advice on which lab I should pick? Thanks in advance for the input!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mimelim

mimelim Vascular Surgery
    Rocket Scientist Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Whichever one you are more likely to show up to on a regular basis and get something productive done. Everything else is secondary.

pbrocks15 likes this.
  4. MatttF

Pre-Medical
    I currently work in a pretty small lab. There's three grad students and two undergrads (including myself) and I like the small lab setting a lot. I actually get to be involved in the research as opposed to doing bitch work (refilling pipette tip containers, cleaning lab glassware, etc.) I don't know how it would work in a bigger lab but I could say pretty surely that you would enjoy working in the smaller lab.

5. womanofscience

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I would personally take the smaller, intense lab. My original lab was similar to the smaller lab since I had my own project and reported back to the PI whereas my current lab I am assigned to a post doc...and little contact with the PI.

My original PI pushed me in my research endeavors so I was able to form a close relationship with this professor and I am still in touch with her even though I've graduated!

Research is what you make of it though. My lab required 20+ hours/week during the semester and I knew people who did around 2 hours in large labs, but it was mostly grunt work and they were unhappy about it.

Good luck!

pbrocks15 likes this.
  6. knv2u

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Which one interests you? Which lab would you learn more from? This should be dispositive.

7. Uafl112

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    second one ALL THE WAY. I worked in a lab that felt like the former and I barely had a relationship to the PI since the lab was so big. I didnt know what the hell our lab was about since I was always doing busy work instead of a real project. Worst part? My PI wasnt gonna write me a letter cause he didnt know anything about me.

The research I do now is in a much smaller place, and I am the only student who does research with the PI. I have a strong relationship with the PI and I know exactly what my research is about, which makes me LOVE IT. Also, since im the only one there, I was put on my own project right away and ill be collecting my data very soon