Which resources to buy for MS1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tasiubao

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am entering my first year of medical school in about two weeks. Would you guys recommend buying a copy of first aid for Year 1? Should I wait for the new version that will be released this winter?

I'm a little confused by the fact that I have a Pathology course this year but Year 2 is entirely pathology. Should I subscribe to Pathoma this year or wait till year 2?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Just buy a fresh edition of FA when step 1 time comes around and buy this years or last years copy for now

And just relax and enjoy your two weeks

Members don't see this ad :)
Just buy a fresh edition of FA when step 1 time comes around and buy this years or last years copy for now

And just relax and enjoy your two weeks

Continues to be the worst advice ever, lol.

I am entering my first year of medical school in about two weeks. Would you guys recommend buying a copy of first aid for Year 1? Should I wait for the new version that will be released this winter?

I'm a little confused by the fact that I have a Pathology course this year but Year 2 is entirely pathology. Should I subscribe to Pathoma this year or wait till year 2?

Thank you!

re: First Aid

I'd find a copy from 2011 or newer and look through it. I wouldn't pay more than $5 for it and just keep it around. It has it's uses. Do NOT study from it. Just look at it every once in a while when you are studying so that you appreciate the big ticket items (tend to be the ones tested during pre-clinical years) and you appreciate what the book looks like when you are going to actually buckle down and study for Step 1.

Your second year, you should purchase the newest version of First Aid when it comes out that year and use it to study for Step 1.

It is not necessary to even do this, but if you must, I think that going beyond this will actually hurt you rather than help.

You can get a BRS book or two--especially physiology--to give you an overview. I heard from someone that they're not great for boards but give you an idea of what's important during coursework. I liked that one--I thought the anatomy one was a bit overkill.

haven't taken step 1 yet but it seems that people think that pathoma is best saved for second year and you don't need first aid until the new version comes out in second year (january or so) at the earliest

im of the opinion that books are not necessary at all except an anatomy atlas (i liked thieme a lot). i bought a few books (mostly used) and did not read them at all
will get uworld, pathoma, first aid and usmlerx later on in second year