Which School for My Pre-Vet Undergrad BS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PythonMolurus

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There are two schools on the list: University of Arkansas and Kansas State University. At Arkansas, I have gotten half of a full ride (I am a TN resident) and at Kansas State University I have gotten $7500. I have visited both but Kansas was a snappy visit. Is either school a better choice? I am an Animal Science major at both.

I appreciate it
Python M.
 
There are two schools on the list: University of Arkansas and Kansas State University. At Arkansas, I have gotten half of a full ride (I am a TN resident) and at Kansas State University I have gotten $7500. I have visited both but Kansas was a snappy visit. Is either school a better choice? I am an Animal Science major at both.

I appreciate it
Python M.

I don't think it matters too much in terms of how it will look on your application to vet school. Go wherever you feel more comfortable, or where it ends up being cheaper, or a combination of the two.

I don't know much about either schools so I'm pulling this out my ass, but the only major advantage I see would be that for Kansas state, there may be more vet related networking available. But at the same time, I would think Kansas state would have more pre-vets you'd have to compete with.
 
It doesnt matter where you go as long as you will be happy and do well. To get into vet school you need to thrive and get experience, so whichever school will allow you to thrive is where you need to go, and both schools will allow you the possibility to thrive. It comes down to where you want to go. Personally, since vet school is a financial suck,I would go where it will be cheaper, unless you would be truly unhappy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It doesn't matter at ALL which college you go to for undergrad. I went to a pretty crappy college (though it did have a decent science department) and got in. If it were me, I'd go wherever it will be cheapest. I simply can't comprehend why people would choose to spend a buttload on tuition for an undergrad degree.
 
Arkansas doesn't have a vet school, Kansas does. True, OkSU and LSU both have contract slots for Arkansas students. I'm not sure how many slots they have, but memory seems to think it isn't very many. KSU, obviously, has slots for IS students. I'd run the numbers and see which one you'd have a better chance at based on slots for IS students.

Also, you wouldn't have to move to go to KSU. As an Arkansas student you'd be required to move to go to vet school. That may sound insignificant now but moving it a PIA IMHO.
 
I simply can't comprehend why people would choose to spend a buttload on tuition for an undergrad degree.

One way to look at it, is that it's kind of like apartment hunting. Some people could never comprehend spending a shatload for a "luxury apt" with a concierge/gym/indoor pool/etc... but others think all the amenities are worth the extra costs. Some people are also just filthy rich.

Another way to look at it: An intelligent, self-motivated, street smart person with good life skills and common sense can excel in any situation... but some people really do much better in a coddled undergrad environment during their transition to adulthood. Some people are also not good self-promoters, and can use a diploma from an expensive "brand-name" college to do the promoting for them as they initially branch out into the real-world.
 
Arkansas doesn't have a vet school, Kansas does. True, OkSU and LSU both have contract slots for Arkansas students. I'm not sure how many slots they have, but memory seems to think it isn't very many. KSU, obviously, has slots for IS students. I'd run the numbers and see which one you'd have a better chance at based on slots for IS students.

Also, you wouldn't have to move to go to KSU. As an Arkansas student you'd be required to move to go to vet school. That may sound insignificant now but moving it a PIA IMHO.

hmmm... but the OP's state of residency is TN, and if the OP applies to vet school before he/she's 24, I don't think the undergrad the OP goes to will determine residency status. Unless of course, KSU,OkSU, and LSU have weird residency criteria that foster in undergrad students living in dorms.
 
hmmm... but the OP's state of residency is TN, and if the OP applies to vet school before he/she's 24, I don't think the undergrad the OP goes to will determine residency status. Unless of course, KSU,OkSU, and LSU have weird residency criteria that foster in undergrad students living in dorms.

You're completely right. Sometimes I forget the rules that apply to the younger folk😛. If OP ends up married before he/she is 24, then my info would apply.
 
Well I don't plan on getting married before I am 24 and I will only be 22 as a Senior in College so either way, I will be going as an OOS to Vet School unless I go to UTK.
 
I don't know much about either school's undergrad, but personally, I would find it really hard to turn down a full ride. You'll be in debt after vet school. Better to not already be in debt heading in. As long as the school you choose has all the prereqs you need, I think you'll be fine.
 
I don't know much about either school's undergrad, but personally, I would find it really hard to turn down a full ride. You'll be in debt after vet school. Better to not already be in debt heading in. As long as the school you choose has all the prereqs you need, I think you'll be fine.

they got half of a full ride, not full 🙂

i do think it just depends on the person. will your parents be helping you pay for tuition? what is the price difference between the two with your scholarships added in? it would be better to not be in debt...but if your parents are helping a little, or if you can pay off the difference in tuition after the scholarships with a part time job then kansas could work. IMO, i would choose kansas because of the vet school and also, id prefer not to live down south because it is not as mixed race. I know, kansas doesnt have as much as an ethnicity mix either, but i have actually lived in kansas before and had no problems. If your parents can't help you out AT ALL, i would choose the cheaper school.

Would you mind posting the total OOS prices for each school?? then we'd know how big the tuition gap is
 
Say what?

lol that probably came out wrong since im bad with words.......but i mean large diversity of people, like in DC. you can basically find every race possible here and i like the mixture of people, religions, political views, etc Does that sound better? sryy
 
lol that probably came out wrong since im bad with words.......but i mean large diversity of people, like in DC. you can basically find every race possible here and i like the mixture of people, religions, political views, etc Does that sound better? sryy

Diverse?

lol :laugh:

As for the original question, there's something to be said for going to a different school than your vet school for undergrad. After 4 years, a place can start to grate on your nerves, and as much as a PITA as moving can be, it's nice to get a change of scenery.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Go with your gut!

I chose a little midwestern LAC over bigger name schools on the East Coast because I LOVE the friendly atmosphere here... against everyone I knew telling me I was stupid for making that decision to attend a "backup" school... but it's fantastic! 🙂
 
It doesn't matter at ALL which college you go to for undergrad. I went to a pretty crappy college (though it did have a decent science department) and got in. If it were me, I'd go wherever it will be cheapest. I simply can't comprehend why people would choose to spend a buttload on tuition for an undergrad degree.

Hmm... that is pretty closed-minded. If you know 100% that you are going to end up in vet school or another grad school then maybe minimizing your debt is the most important. But let me tell you, if you need to get a job after undergrad, go to the best school possible. You might actually get a good paying job then. Not everyone's plan ends up exactly as planned.
 
Sorry, I know it's been a while. I apologize for restarting this thread. Right now, the costs for the schools including R&B, food, etc is as follows:

Kansas State : $24-25k
Arkansas: $18-19

my parents can pay for Ark, no student loans for me but at KSU, I have to take out $6k in loans.

Any opinions?
 
Last edited:
Go for Arkansas. That $6,000 in loans that you would pull out for Kansas will not be just $6,000 by the time you pay it off with interest, and the less debt you start out with before vet school, the better.
 
Go for Arkansas. That $6,000 in loans that you would pull out for Kansas will not be just $6,000 by the time you pay it off with interest, and the less debt you start out with before vet school, the better.

100% ditto this. I went to an undergrad that didnt have ani sci as a major, had no farms or anything around it, I got NO animal or vet experience while I was in school (did it all over the summers) and I did fine in applying and getting in. Go with zero debt!! I did the zero debt route and now that I am going to vet school I feel so so sooooo much happier.
 
I say go for whichever you like. The $6k should be covered entirely by the subsidized Stanford (I think it's up to $8k right?) which gets no interest while you're in school, so the interest is negligible.
 
I say go for whichever you like. The $6k should be covered entirely by the subsidized Stanford (I think it's up to $8k right?) which gets no interest while you're in school, so the interest is negligible.

True, but at th end of four years, that's $24k.

In terms of getting into vet school, do vet schools look at where you did your undergrad and can that make them deny you? If I went to Ark, which has no vet school, would I be any worse off than if i went to KSU?

Thanks
 
Definitely agree with less debt and prerequisites matter, not undergrad schools.

As for LSU contracts with Arkansas students, this past year 30 AK students applied and 9 seats were available. I don't know about you, but I would have liked 30% odds.
 
That's a really good point. 30% odds aren't bad at all! Course that may not be the course in the future but who knows?

Then, on the other hand, you have to consider that you may be able to gain residency with Kansas while there for UG and apply to KSU as a resident.

Are you aiming for any other vet school over Tennessee's school? Or have you even reached that stage in the game?
 
I'd say you should have a really good reason for choosing to attend an undergrad and coming out w/ 24 k + interest in debt verses not. The average vet student comes out of vet school with ~127 k in debt--that number is only going to go up by the time you graduate. That's some serious money--really think about this before you leap.
 
Definitely agree with less debt and prerequisites matter, not undergrad schools.

I have a different view on this topic...

A number of vet schools do look at the difficulty/quality of the school where courses are taken, but not all. All else equal (which is never the case, and clearly not here) choose the "better" school.

Also to consider is the plan-B if you don't end up going to vet school right away or even change your mind about it for various reasons. So many people change their minds as undergrads that it is insane not to consider the possibility.

If you need a plan B, then the better quality school will really be a help in getting a better, higher-paying job as a grad to a certain extent (and these days getting a job at all). Even if you just have to take a year off to re-apply you can have an advantage getting the type of position you want. I have hired a number of people and there is no doubt that I pay attention to where a candidate got their education!

These are general comments and every situation is different but it is something to consider.
 
I have a different view on this topic...

A number of vet schools do look at the difficulty/quality of the school where courses are taken, but not all. All else equal (which is never the case, and clearly not here) choose the "better" school.

Also to consider is the plan-B if you don't end up going to vet school right away or even change your mind about it for various reasons. So many people change their minds as undergrads that it is insane not to consider the possibility.

If you need a plan B, then the better quality school will really be a help in getting a better, higher-paying job as a grad to a certain extent (and these days getting a job at all). Even if you just have to take a year off to re-apply you can have an advantage getting the type of position you want. I have hired a number of people and there is no doubt that I pay attention to where a candidate got their education!

These are general comments and every situation is different but it is something to consider.

Agreed, x100.

You also need to look at where you'll be happier. 4 years is a long time to spend in a location or at a school that you hate. College should be fun!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad