Which schools are below average in board pass rates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc Foot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Every school seems to say that their board pass rates are above average. Which schools are actually below average?

Members don't see this ad.

Barry has a 90% pass rate for first time takers for the boards after second year

Every school seems to say that their board pass rates are above average. Which schools are actually below average?

Clearly none are below average then. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
It means very little. Until podiatric medical school boards are brought up to a level that is analogous to USMLEs with brutually difficult questions, tertiary level thinking skills, case based questions,etc....the exam rates will be ~90% with only 205 questions within 2-3 hours and simple/simpler rote memorization questions/primary level questions. However, it is a balancing act, too difficult exam, folks fail left and right, no more dinero for the schools.

So it's a catch 22.

I guess another way to find who is below average would be to see which schools refuse to tell applicants what their pass rates were or "don't know" what they were. Does anyone remember asking pass rates during their interviews? Which schools said "I don't know" or refused to answer?

Traum, when did you take boards? If you dont mind sharing...

Im okay with just a time period. 80s, 90s, 00s, etc...

why is anyone concerned about a school's board passing rates? I mean, the school doesn't take it for you (to paraphrase Bob Dolerson). All schools are accredited, and therefore teach the material necessary to pass boards. Isn't it up to each individual to make sure they pass?

It makes sense that schools with higher admission stats would correlate to higher board averages. It doesn't necessarily mean a difference in the education, but maybe more in the quality of students at a particular institution.

Am I missing something here?

why is anyone concerned about a school's board passing rates? I mean, the school doesn't take it for you (to paraphrase Bob Dolerson). All schools are accredited, and therefore teach the material necessary to pass boards. Isn't it up to each individual to make sure they pass?

It makes sense that schools with higher admission stats would correlate to higher board averages. It doesn't necessarily mean a difference in the education, but maybe more in the quality of students at a particular institution.

Am I missing something here?
You are correct but there are slight differences in the schools. One big one is that some schools give students time off to study for boards, others dont. In theory you should know all the material before the boards, but I know I had to study....

But yes, if the school is accredited you should have the materials to pass.

Regardless of school, 100% of the students taking boards part 1 - who are prepared to take boards part 1 - will pass boards part 1. It's not a question of which school to choose in order to have a better shot at passing, its a question of how much effort are you willing to put in during the first two years.