Which schools are easier to get into???????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ApplicantPharmD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My stats are not tht good...i have a 3.2 GPA and a BS in Biotechnology...working as a clinical research coordinator...NO pharmacy experience....I was wondering which schools are easier to get into with these stats???????

Members don't see this ad.

My stats are not tht good...i have a 3.2 GPA and a BS in Biotechnology...working as a clinical research coordinator...NO pharmacy experience....I was wondering which schools are easier to get into with these stats???????

while its hard to say which school would be "less" competitive, i would say that every school has a different way of looking at your stats. what i would suggest is to gain some experience in pharmacy to let them know that youre serious about going to pharmacy school. take all the necessary prereqs to be an eligible applicant since every school has different requirements. (this would be a great chance to boost your gpa and make it more competitive). finally, do well on your pcat. they take a great test score with less stellar grades into consideration. :)

if you need more info log in to pharmcas.com. it tells you all the necessary requirements. you would also need to get some letters of rec to show that you are a great candidate for the profession.

it doesnt hurt to apply! and do it well in advance too!

if anyone can answer which school would be less competitive feel free to chime in! i'll be curious to know too!

I agree with uilani66…every school looks for something different. Some only want students with great GPAs, while others weigh more importance on having a Bachelor’s Degree. As far as this year, I don’t know b/c it’s late in the application game. Get pharmacy experience and prepare for the PCATs. When next year rolls around, apply EARLY to schools with rolling admissions and schools that are not 0-6 b/c most of those schools are geared more for students straight out of high school. So you want 2+4’s or 3-yr accelerated programs. You can use pharmcas and aacp to figure out which schools fit these requirements. Use your B.S. to your advantage…look for schools that have a high % of students already with degrees b/c obviously those schools must put emphasis on having a degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply early is great advice. Especially at schools with rolling admissions. Check out the thread that talks about how to maximize chances of getting in.

If you have a 1st choice school and it has early decision, apply early decision to boost your chances.

Look for non-PharmCAS schools and apply there. I've noticed they get significantly fewer applicants. U of Michigan, for example. There are other schools like U of Washington with fewer than average applicants also, even though they use PharmCAS.

Don't apply to out of state public schools that explicitly limit the number of out of state students.

New schools, schools with less name recognition, and schools in isolated areas probably are easier to get it. I can't confirm this though because I didn't investigate any such schools myself.

not like those are bad "stats", but if you want an easy school, look up texas southern.

thanks.

:scared:

I hate to tell you guys this, but this thread won't go anywhere. It's been attempted already.

I disagree that there's something magic about UW because they receive fewer applicants. Their class size is about 90. They received 790 applications last year. That means that only about 11% were accepted (not counting the waitlisters). Colorado admits about 130 with 1630 applicants - 8%. Maryland 120 with 1407 - 9%. Purdue - 159/939= 17% (1 in 6 odds!). Mercer 129/2217= 6%. Butler 99/729=14%

Pharm school admission is competitive. Accept it. Study hard, take the time to figure out what kind of pharmacy education you want and then apply to schools that can help get you there. I'm glad I didn't know about these stats before I decided on pharmacy - I would have been completely discouraged.

There's a .pdf document on the AACP website showing number of schools applied to v. number of offers. One poor soul applied to 45 schools and was accepted at none. :eek: Anybody know how much money he gave to PharmCAS for that?

References:
http://www.aacp.org/Docs/MainNavigation/InstitutionalData/7374_Enrollments.pdf
http://www.aacp.org/Docs/MainNavigation/ForDeans/7733_ApplicationsBySchool0506.pdf