Which schools do not recognize the course work from comm. college??

dj7DDS

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
May 4, 2006
53
0
Status
Pre-Dental
From what i heard, i know tufts is one of them does not recognize the pre-req course work from cc... :( Is that right? The reason i asked this is because i don't want to waste $$ to apply the schools that don't even bother with my application. Thanks for any advice and inputs!! :)
 

Yellow Snow

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2004
732
0
Pacific NW
Status
Pre-Dental
I think Tufts is the only one that flat our rejects it. Do you have more than 1 year of course work that you need to count from a CC? Because some schools have the 1 year cap. And UoP wants some sort of written statement of equivalency that I haven't checked out yet for my gen chem credits. Anyone able to comment on UoP's written statement they want?
 
OP
D

dj7DDS

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
May 4, 2006
53
0
Status
Pre-Dental
Yellow Snow said:
I think Tufts is the only one that flat our rejects it. Do you have more than 1 year of course work that you need to count from a CC? Because some schools have the 1 year cap. And UoP wants some sort of written statement of equivalency that I haven't checked out yet for my gen chem credits. Anyone able to comment on UoP's written statement they want?
Thanks! I took the G. chem, G. bio, G. physics in the cc. I spend about 3 years in cc then transfer to 4-year university. Recently, i just graduated and try to apply for dental school. Thanks yellow snow! :)
 

dippedindettol

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
145
0
Status
Pre-Dental
damn! thats messed up about tufts, i had no clue. sigh, i guess ill just cross that school out of the list then.
 

armorshell

One Man Freak Show
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2006
7,173
238
Status
Non-Student
Pittsburgh has a restriction on the amount of community college work allowed :mad:

I feel stupid for noticing only after I already paid for AADSAS...oh well, I know I won't be sending them DAT scores or secondary monies.

edit: I'm also interested in finding out about Pacific's policy on credits
 

sheikha9

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 1, 2005
48
0
Status
Pre-Optometry
I was told by a Howard Recruiter at one of our pre-dental society meetings that they HIGHLY look down on CC pre-req's. But I havent found anything on their website about that, or heard anything from anyone else about that...I also have a bunch of pre-req's from summer CC classes..
 

burton117

The Big Kahuna
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2004
1,087
7
Yeah! what it this thing about Pacific and credits?
 

dippedindettol

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
145
0
Status
Pre-Dental
burton117 said:
Yeah! what it this thing about Pacific and credits?

yeah id love to know about this too. it says our 4-yr university is supposed to submit some equivalency form?


id love to know about any other schools with this problem too. thanks guys
 

tinman831

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2004
11,355
80
Texas
Status
Dentist
armorshell said:
edit: I'm also interested in finding out about Pacific's policy on credits
Limitation on Community College Work: Courses taken at a community college will be acceptable if they are transferable as equivalent to predental courses at a four-year college. Students should submit a copy of an advanced standing evaluation form provided by the four-year college or a course equivalency statement from the community college.
 

Hopin'

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2006
161
0
Status
Dental Student
dippedindettol said:
damn! thats messed up about tufts, i had no clue. sigh, i guess ill just cross that school out of the list then.
You might still get an interview from them depending on your stats.
However, if they offer you admission, they might ask you to repeat some of the classes that you took at CC at 4-year school.
Say you took Gen Bio, Gen Chem and Gen Physics at CC and got above average scores in Bio and Chem in DAT, then they might just waive it. However, they will require you to take Physics at 4-year school since you're not tested on Physics in DAT.
 
OP
D

dj7DDS

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
May 4, 2006
53
0
Status
Pre-Dental
Hopin' said:
You might still get an interview from them depending on your stats.
However, if they offer you admission, they might ask you to repeat some of the classes that you took at CC at 4-year school.
Say you took Gen Bio, Gen Chem and Gen Physics at CC and got above average scores in Bio and Chem in DAT, then they might just waive it. However, they will require you to take Physics at 4-year school since you're not tested on Physics in DAT.
May i know which school might ask to retake the physics? Thanks!
 

litldime

D2
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
1,060
0
Texas
Status
Dental Student
Definately Tufts...but I think Howard as well... I read on their website that all required pre-reqs must be from an accredited 4 yr university but it didn't include other course work only pre-reqs..