Which schools do not recognize the course work from comm. college??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dj7DDS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what i heard, i know tufts is one of them does not recognize the pre-req course work from cc... :( Is that right? The reason i asked this is because i don't want to waste $$ to apply the schools that don't even bother with my application. Thanks for any advice and inputs!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think Tufts is the only one that flat our rejects it. Do you have more than 1 year of course work that you need to count from a CC? Because some schools have the 1 year cap. And UoP wants some sort of written statement of equivalency that I haven't checked out yet for my gen chem credits. Anyone able to comment on UoP's written statement they want?

Yellow Snow said:
I think Tufts is the only one that flat our rejects it. Do you have more than 1 year of course work that you need to count from a CC? Because some schools have the 1 year cap. And UoP wants some sort of written statement of equivalency that I haven't checked out yet for my gen chem credits. Anyone able to comment on UoP's written statement they want?

Thanks! I took the G. chem, G. bio, G. physics in the cc. I spend about 3 years in cc then transfer to 4-year university. Recently, i just graduated and try to apply for dental school. Thanks yellow snow! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
damn! thats messed up about tufts, i had no clue. sigh, i guess ill just cross that school out of the list then.

Pittsburgh has a restriction on the amount of community college work allowed :mad:

I feel stupid for noticing only after I already paid for AADSAS...oh well, I know I won't be sending them DAT scores or secondary monies.

edit: I'm also interested in finding out about Pacific's policy on credits

I was told by a Howard Recruiter at one of our pre-dental society meetings that they HIGHLY look down on CC pre-req's. But I havent found anything on their website about that, or heard anything from anyone else about that...I also have a bunch of pre-req's from summer CC classes..

Yeah! what it this thing about Pacific and credits?

burton117 said:
Yeah! what it this thing about Pacific and credits?

yeah id love to know about this too. it says our 4-yr university is supposed to submit some equivalency form?

id love to know about any other schools with this problem too. thanks guys

armorshell said:
edit: I'm also interested in finding out about Pacific's policy on credits

Limitation on Community College Work: Courses taken at a community college will be acceptable if they are transferable as equivalent to predental courses at a four-year college. Students should submit a copy of an advanced standing evaluation form provided by the four-year college or a course equivalency statement from the community college.

dippedindettol said:
damn! thats messed up about tufts, i had no clue. sigh, i guess ill just cross that school out of the list then.

You might still get an interview from them depending on your stats.
However, if they offer you admission, they might ask you to repeat some of the classes that you took at CC at 4-year school.
Say you took Gen Bio, Gen Chem and Gen Physics at CC and got above average scores in Bio and Chem in DAT, then they might just waive it. However, they will require you to take Physics at 4-year school since you're not tested on Physics in DAT.

Hopin' said:
You might still get an interview from them depending on your stats.
However, if they offer you admission, they might ask you to repeat some of the classes that you took at CC at 4-year school.
Say you took Gen Bio, Gen Chem and Gen Physics at CC and got above average scores in Bio and Chem in DAT, then they might just waive it. However, they will require you to take Physics at 4-year school since you're not tested on Physics in DAT.

May i know which school might ask to retake the physics? Thanks!

Definately Tufts...but I think Howard as well... I read on their website that all required pre-reqs must be from an accredited 4 yr university but it didn't include other course work only pre-reqs..