Which schools do not require interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msmrtrthnyllb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Subject says it all. I know most do, but which don't? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Iowa and Cornell do not interview. Just a word of caution even if you don't interview I highly recommend visiting the school before you send in your deposit if accepted. You get a much better sense of the school actually being there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wisconsin doesn't interview either.

I don't know your location, but if you are applying as a WICHE applicant, I'm pretty sure those schools will not interview you ( Washington State, Oregon State, Colorado State, and UC Davis).

CSU basically says that they reserve the right to interview out of state students, but they haven't for several years. They do interview in-state applicants. Oregon state also does not interview out of state students.

Michigan State does interview in and out of state. There are a select few who are accepted because their applications were SO good that even if they bombed the interview they would still get in. I have my doubts about that line of reason but hey that's just MHO.

Oklahoma doesn't interview oos students.

Wisconsin doesn't interview either.
BUT, they do have an "open house" for accepted applicants at the end of March, which involves all the extra stuff most schools do on their interview weekends - speeches by administration and faculty, tours, etc. Also they pay airfare for some (all?) out-of-state accepted applicants to go to the open house, which is way cool.

BTW although Davis interviews, all you get is a half-hour appointment with the committee. All the speeches/tours/informative stuff that actually convinces you that you might like to go there is done a week before interviews start with an "orientation" given by the first-year class. Kind of a lame system IMO and obviously *really* hard on applicants from far away (whether that be Ohio or Los Angeles). But, that's the way they do it.

BUT, they do have an "open house" for accepted applicants at the end of March, which involves all the extra stuff most schools do on their interview weekends - speeches by administration and faculty, tours, etc. Also they pay airfare for some (all?) out-of-state accepted applicants to go to the open house, which is way cool.

Good point. And you get some free stuff. I passed on going since I decided not to go there but my friend went and got some free stuff. Probably not relevant to the original posting but I am bored at work.

Good point. And you get some free stuff.
:hardy:

I actually use the (really nice briefcase-like) bag they gave us to carry my laptop around. I feel slightly guilty every time I look at it, since I turned them down... But all the "stuff" was actually from the local Purina reps and I'm sure the school didn't pay for any of it, so I don't feel *that* guilty.

OK, sorry, back to topic...

Iowa and Cornell do not interview. Just a word of caution even if you don't interview I highly recommend visiting the school before you send in your deposit if accepted. You get a much better sense of the school actually being there.

Starting with the 2007-2008 cycle, Iowa IS interviewing. From Iowa website:

Interviews
Beginning with the 2007-08 (October 1, 2007 deadline) application cycle, interviews will be included as a part of the admissions process. Further information on the interview and interview times will be available in August 2007.

oops. Sorry guys! They didn't interview last year and I didn't actually double check on the website.

I don't know your location, but if you are applying as a WICHE applicant, I'm pretty sure those schools will not interview you ( Washington State, Oregon State, Colorado State, and UC Davis).

Davis interviews everyone, and I'm pretty sure WSU does too (I interviewed there but I was just OOS, not WICHE). Oregon and Colorado don't usually interview out of state.