Which schools, if any, ask for SAT scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pinkertinkle

2003 Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested to know which medical schools ask for or accept SAT scores in their secondaries?

Members don't see this ad.

hmm...if i remember not many...and the only school i can come up with is VCU i think.

now that i think about...out of the 43 schools...only one asked and i think it was VCU.

Baylor asked for it in their secondary along with your HS class rank. Don't ask me why... :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
U of Chicago does too.

Indiana University asked for ACT/SAT scores and a HS class rank.

As does Penn State

Wow I would be screwed at those schools then if they actually consider this stuff. I was a complete and total slacker in high school, getting by with b's and c's with my rank just about the 50% mark.

I think Wake Forest does as well.

bgreet said:
Wow I would be screwed at those schools then if they actually consider this stuff. I was a complete and total slacker in high school, getting by with b's and c's with my rank just about the 50% mark.
Me too. I had a somewhat unique situation where I went to schools that had no AP (6.0) or honors credit (5.0) for my first 3 years, then transferred my senior year to a small private school (about 70 in my class) with both AP and honors classes. All of the sudden my 3.4 GPA went from top 20% to bottom 40%.

And you can add USUHS to the schools that ask for SAT/ACT.

Duke made it optional to fill out SAT scores and high school class rank

wash u does....i dont remember u chicago asking

Can this really hurt your application?
I had a decent SAT score, but then I feel I have become a better "standarized test-taker" and hopefully performed well (cannot use better) on the MCAT. just seems silly or way too competitive in the wrong sense

That's kind of shocking...I mean, I was fourth in my high school class, so I don't care, but what about the people that went to college and turned their scholastics around from bad to med-school-worthy? Is this really fair to them? (I know, I know, life's not fair, but still)

terzian said:
what about the people that went to college and turned their scholastics around from bad to med-school-worthy? Is this really fair to them? (I know, I know, life's not fair, but still)

I wonder what homeschoolers are supposed to do?

Relax, I'm sure its up there with ponytail style in priority of what they would consider for acceptance. Its mainly for statistical purposes, how else would they correlate MCAT performace vs SAT? (Notice most of the schools mentioned have some sort of BS/MD program, thats part of it too)

Cornell asked for SAT scores if you "remembered" them.

SachinG said:
Duke made it optional to fill out SAT scores and high school class rank

Thanks to me last year. Basically, I'm a high school drop out and I didn't do very well on the SAT. I applied to many of the schools listed here and did just fine (including in the MD processes that are separate at some schools). I don't know why they ask for them, but I wouldn't worry about it. If anything, I would think a massive improvement in college would help!

Some people around here think it's to screen for those who are a good at standardized tests... It's possible I guess.

Neuronix said:
Thanks to me last year. Basically, I'm a high school drop out and I didn't do very well on the SAT. I applied to many of the schools listed here and did just fine (including in the MD processes that are separate at some schools). I don't know why they ask for them, but I wouldn't worry about it. If anything, I would think a massive improvement in college would help!

Some people around here think it's to screen for those who are a good at standardized tests... It's possible I guess.
Did you do something specific at Duke last year that caused them to change their policy, or are you saying that you caused them to rethink their policy because you were a successful applicant at many schools that required these scores?

snapdad said:
Did you do something specific at Duke last year that caused them to change their policy

Sorry, I should have made that clear. Last year their form wouldn't accept a 0 or a N/A, so I e-mailed them and told them I'm not a high school graduate. A few days later they responded to me that I could enter a N/A for high school rank and SAT score. Then they announced it later to the applicant pool.