Which schools should I apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docindev

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Been doing some research on here, but if someone can point me to a guide such as MSAR for DO schools that I can access for free, I will really appreciate it.

My stats: 3.1cgpa, 3.0sgpa, 24MCAT (re-take this August), I'm a California resident.
I don't think my stats are good enough for US schools (MD or DO), so I was wondering if someone who believes otherwise could give me a list of 3-5 DO schools (anywhere in the US) that I might stand a chance at.

The cali schools- Western and Touro are out of my range, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I will continue to do research, and again, I don't think with my stats I have a chance anywhere in the US, but I'm just looking for people's opinions.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

Been doing some research on here, but if someone can point me to a guide such as MSAR for DO schools that I can access for free, I will really appreciate it.

My stats: 3.1cgpa, 3.0sgpa, 24MCAT (re-take this August), I'm a California resident.
I don't think my stats are good enough for US schools (MD or DO), so I was wondering if someone who believes otherwise could give me a list of 3-5 DO schools (anywhere in the US) that I might stand a chance at.

The cali schools- Western and Touro are out of my range, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I will continue to do research, and again, I don't think with my stats I have a chance anywhere in the US, but I'm just looking for people's opinions.

Thanks

Here you go. Take your pick.

Touro-Ca: 3.45/3.36/28.90
UMDNJ-SOM: 3.6/3.51/28
NYCOM: 3.6/?/28
Western-COMP: 3.53/3.47/28
DMU: 3.68/3.63/27.3
OUCOM: 3.66/?/27
UNTHSC-TCOM: 3.59/3.49/27
ATSU-SOMA: 3.50/3.41/27
ATSU-KCOM: 3.5/3.4/27
RVUCOM: 3.49/3.44/26.68
Touro-NV: 3.40/3.31/26.6
MSUCOM: 3.6/?/26.49
PNWU: 3.44/3.36/26.39
KCUMB: 3.55/3.51/26
WCUCOM: 3.4/?/26
VCOM-VC: 3.59/3.52/25
VCOM-CC: 3.61/3.55/25
LMU-DCOM: 3.4/?/24
UP-KYCOM: 3.5?/3.4?/24
CCOM: 3.56/?/(28?)
NSU-COM: 3.41/3.31/27 (2014)
LECOM-E: 3.44/3.31/26 (2014)
LECOM-B: 3.48/3.39/27 (2014)
OSU-COM: 3.64/3.58/26.1 (2014)
UNECOM: 3.5/3.45/27 (class of ?)
PCOM: 3.45/3.38/27 (2014)

Thanks for posting that list. I have been researching those stats, and again, I don't feel I am competitive for any of those schools, but which ones will it be even worth applying to? Any applicants with similar stats to mine get accepted?

I just want to try my chances at 3-5 schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would pick LMU, WCU, Touro-NY, WVSOM, ACOM, MUCOM, and CUSOM for sure. If your MCAT goes up to 27, you should be in the running for a broad range of schools though.

Touro-Ca: 3.45/3.36/28.90
NYCOM: 3.6/?/28
UMDNJ-SOM: 3.59/3.51/28
CCOM: 3.56/?/28
Western-COMP: 3.53/3.47/28
AZCOM: 3.51/3.46/28
DMU: 3.68/3.63/27.3
OUCOM: 3.66/?/27
UNTHSC-TCOM: 3.59/3.49/27
ATSU-SOMA: 3.50/3.41/27
ATSU-KCOM: 3.5/3.4/27
Western-COMP NW: 3.46/3.39/27
RVUCOM: 3.49/3.44/26.68
Touro-NV: 3.40/3.31/26.6
MSUCOM: 3.6/?/26.5
PNWU: 3.44/3.36/26.39
KCUMB: 3.55/3.51/26
WCUCOM: 3.4/?/26
VCOM-CC: 3.61/3.55/25
VCOM-VC: 3.59/3.52/25
Touro-NY: 3.3/3.3/25
LMU-DCOM: 3.4/?/24
UP-KYCOM: 3.5/3.4/24
PCOM-Ga: ?/?/27
NSU-COM: 3.41/3.31/27 (2014)
LECOM-E: 3.44/3.31/26 (2014)
LECOM-B: 3.48/3.39/27 (2014)
OSU-COM: 3.64/3.58/26.1 (2014)
UNECOM: 3.5/3.45/27 (class of ?)
WVSOM: ?/3.37/25 (class of ?)
PCOM: 3.45/3.38/27 (2014)

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that list. I have been researching those stats, and again, I don't feel I am competitive for any of those schools, but which ones will it be even worth applying to? Any applicants with similar stats to mine get accepted?

I just want to try my chances at 3-5 schools.

I think you're better off sitting out this cycle, improving your GPA and MCAT score, and then applying next year. You're right that you are not very competitive and, while the reapplicant dilemma isn't as huge for DO as it is for MD, you might as well save your money. You can improve your application quite a lot in 1 year and give yourself a better chance at not only getting in, but attending the school of your choosing.

Unfortunately, you'd probably be wasting money this cycle.

Its tempting to "try" but as a re-applicant, you'd be looked at with some added scrutiny from most schools and writing an extra secondary essay (i.e. what have you done to improve your app since last time)

Retake a few classes at least (a full semester...two would be better). Do you think you could improve your MCAT? If you could at lest get a 26+ I think your chances would shoot up significantly.

Good luck

Unfortunately, you'd probably be wasting money this cycle.

Its tempting to "try" but as a re-applicant, you'd be looked at with some added scrutiny from most schools and writing an extra secondary essay (i.e. what have you done to improve your app since last time)

Retake a few classes at least (a full semester...two would be better). Do you think you could improve your MCAT? If you could at lest get a 26+ I think your chances would shoot up significantly.

Good luck

Thanks so much for the advice. Regarding re-app status, I have a couple of questions,

1) from what I've read, you are only considered a "re-app" if you apply to the same school a second time. All new schools that I apply to, I will be a first time applicant. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Or maybe the rule is different for MD vs DO?

2) Also, the extra secondary you mentioned I'd have to fill out as a re-app, is that for MD, DO, or both?

Thank you so much for your help

Thank

My advice:

1. Retake courses you did poorly in. This can even be done at a community college, and it won't cost you much.
2. Study for the MCAT and shoot for a 26+.
3. You can also work/volunteer while you take classes since it probably won't be full time.
4. Apply next year.
5. ???
6. PROFIT!!!!

Thanks so much for the advice. Regarding re-app status, I have a couple of questions,

1) from what I've read, you are only considered a "re-app" if you apply to the same school a second time. All new schools that I apply to, I will be a first time applicant. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Or maybe the rule is different for MD vs DO?

2) Also, the extra secondary you mentioned I'd have to fill out as a re-app, is that for MD, DO, or both?

Thank you so much for your help

Thank

1-Yes, you're right. (MD and DO are the same on this as well)

2-This is common for both MD and DO schools.

:thumbup:

Hi everyone,

Thanks
Wait for your mcat score after your retake...If the score is 28+, I think should definitely apply. Anything less than that (25-27), you should wait for next cycle and do some GPA repair to the range of 3.3-3.4, which will give you a decent shot.

Just going to weigh in here... My opinion is that you wait out this cycle and apply next cycle like others have stated. Virtuoso, Half and Med are spot on.

keep in mind too in addition to low stats youd be applying late, putting in secondaries around late sept to early october. so that would hurt you a bunch too. study hard for the mcat, own it, build your ecs and gpa and apply next cycle

Apply this year if you score 27+.

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice:

1. Retake courses you did poorly in. This can even be done at a community college, and it won't cost you much.
3. You can also work/volunteer while you take classes since it probably won't be full time.
4. Apply next year.
5. ???
6. PROFIT!!!!

This is basically what I did.

Last year: 2.65, 28M.

This year: 3.20, 33Q. Only spent ~$3200 on tuition.

On step 4 now. Hopefully Step 6 soon.

Low GPA, average MCAT, late application? Really?

Indubitably. September is not that late. Their GPA is in the low but acceptable range and a 27 is solid for DO.

Indubitably. September is not that late. Their GPA is in the low but acceptable range and a 27 is solid for DO.

Hmmm, maybe...if they had a 9 or 10 in the BS and nothing below 7. But its sort of pushing it Id say, since the GPA is very very borderline.

Id say its a no go this time around.

My advice:

4. Apply next year.
5. ???
6. PROFIT!!!!

Thanks so much for all the advice everyone. I really appreciate it.

Regarding re-taking courses, at the moment, I cannot afford to take courses at a 4-year without taking out loans. However, after reading much on taking courses at a community college, I'm a bit confused on whether or not this is acceptable from the perspective of adcoms. (Perhaps a med student who has served on an adcom can shed some light or anyone with info)

Also, is it better to re-take C's or just take new sciences altogether?

I've read that a few classes (3-4) is OK, but any more is not. On the other hand, some say that it is totally unacceptable to have a BS in Biology and then go to a CC and take science courses there.

Again, this is all from SDNers' opinions, but I will appreciate the advice of someone who has actually done this.

I know that to show strength in the sciences, I need to take upper-division courses and these are only offered at a 4-year, so can taking classes at a cc help at all? I got all C's in Biochem, Molecular bio, and genetics (which were lower division, core classes at my uni)- maybe I can take these again. I actually did better in upper division bio classes than these 3 core ones.

Eventually, I will try to take courses at a 4-year or do an SMP of some kind.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you should wait until next year. Admissions requirements only go up each year and whatever small GPA improvements you make might not mean that much. I would apply as soon as you can then update your application when your new MCAT is in.

Hi everyone,

Thanks

many people on here have posted that you should sit out this cycle; I think it depends on your ECs, LOR, and Personal Statement. If you feel that these are VERY strong and can get your application out within a couple of weeks then apply.

Here are some schools you should consider applying to:
University of Pikeville
William Carey University
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine
Marian University
Campbell University
Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine

With this list you should double check the GPA requirements as well as the MCAT section requirements. The first three may have a small regional bias, but if you express a sincere interest in rural medicine I think the are very accepting to OSS. The last three are new schools. I am not 100% sure if they will have a 2013 class or 2014 class, but new schools are always worth trying out.

Good Luck.

Since CUSOM has been suggested a few times I figure I'll share what I've seen in the School specific thread. There were a few folks that said they got the "thanks but no thanks" before even receiving a secondary invite from Campbell. The consensus was they screened out people with a science GPA < 3.2

This is what I would do if I was in your shoes:
Apply to 1 school to get your application verified, which takes 3-4 weeks. If you feel good after the MCAT, start pre-writing secondary essays in the month long wait for your scores. If you score 26 or above, apply to more scores. By this time, you will already be verified, have secondaries pre-written, and be able to be "complete" by september, which isn't that late.
If you do end up not doing well enough on MCAT, then don't apply this cycle.

Best of luck.:xf:

Yes, 27 is good for DO, but the GPA is about as low as you can get as far as matriculants go. Yes, September isn't that late, but it's still late especially for someone with mediocre (at best) stats.

If OP has money to burn, by all means apply. DO schools don't rape you as a reapplicant like MD does, so it won't really hurt that much.

Hmmm, maybe...if they had a 9 or 10 in the BS and nothing below 7. But its sort of pushing it Id say, since the GPA is very very borderline.

Id say its a no go this time around.

+1

when you're an UD you want every advantage you can get

+1

This is what I would do if I was in your shoes:
Apply to 1 school to get your application verified, which takes 3-4 weeks. If you feel good after the MCAT, start pre-writing secondary essays in the month long wait for your scores. If you score 26 or above, apply to more scores. By this time, you will already be verified, have secondaries pre-written, and be able to be "complete" by september, which isn't that late.
If you do end up not doing well enough on MCAT, then don't apply this cycle.

Best of luck.:xf:

Oh now a 26er! If I had a 3.0/3.1/26 I would take a year to retake classes and retake the MCAT. As above though, if you have money to burn by all means apply. I personally don't.

Thanks so much for the advice everyone. I was hoping someone could help me with what I posted below regarding retakes as well. Or should I post this somewhere else?

Thanks!

Thanks so much for all the advice everyone. I really appreciate it.

Regarding re-taking courses, at the moment, I cannot afford to take courses at a 4-year without taking out loans. However, after reading much on taking courses at a community college, I'm a bit confused on whether or not this is acceptable from the perspective of adcoms. (Perhaps a med student who has served on an adcom can shed some light or anyone with info)

I've read that a few classes (3-4) is OK, but any more is not. On the other hand, some say that it is totally unacceptable to have a BS in Biology and then go to a CC and take science courses there.

Again, this is all from SDNers' opinions, but I will appreciate the advice of someone who has actually done this.

I know that to show strength in the sciences, I need to take upper-division courses and these are only offered at a 4-year, so can taking classes at a cc help at all? I got all C's in Biochem, Molecular bio, and genetics (which were lower division, core classes at my uni)- maybe I can take these again. I actually did better in upper division bio classes than these 3 core ones.

Thanks again.

I applied with similar GPA stats and a 29R MCAT last year around the same time of year and got 1 interview and a lot of rejections. I don't know that much about CC vs. 4 year and a special masters program so I can't speak to that, but I'd improve my application before applying if I were you. When you re-apply through AACOMAS you are listed as a re-applicant regardless of whether you applied to that specific school as far as I know.

I applied with similar GPA stats and a 29R MCAT last year around the same time of year and got 1 interview and a lot of rejections. I don't know that much about CC vs. 4 year and a special masters program so I can't speak to that, but I'd improve my application before applying if I were you. When you re-apply through AACOMAS you are listed as a re-applicant regardless of whether you applied to that specific school as far as I know.

Really? Are you a US citizen? What schools did you apply to?

Thanks for sharing your experience. Someone earlier said that you are a re-applicant only at schools you are reapplying to and 1st time applicant otherwise, which is what I believed also. Perhaps I should call some schools and ask them of this. Also, what school was your interview at?

bumping this...
Thanks so much for the advice everyone. I was hoping someone could help me with what I posted below regarding retakes as well. Or should I post this somewhere else?

Thanks in advance for all the advice everyone. I really appreciate it.

bumping this...

Thanks in advance for all the advice everyone. I really appreciate it.

Retake the lowest grades at a 4 yr university, and make sure your sgpa is indeed north of 3.00.

I really think you can get the biggest bang for your buck by retaking the MCAT and scoring 27+. Heck, even a 25 or 26 would open some doors for you.

As long as your score goes up, I still think you should apply this year. There are hundreds of new seats (including 3 new DO schools) for next fall that will not be easily filled. Even with a 3.1 and 25 I still think you would have a chance, especially at the bottom tier programs.

Last edited: