Which schools specifically DO NOT accept JC science pre-reqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rambo

Slightly Evil
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be taking a pre-req sequence over the summer, and I can take it at a JC, or at a 4 year. Taking the class at a JC will save me time, and money, but I'm concerned that I might be limiting my options come application time.

Bottom line... what schools have you come across that specifically don't accept JC credit? I know Wake Forest doesn't, just off the top of my head.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Supposedly it's "frowned upon"--but that somes from advisors at a 4 year school. Heck, my tuition pays their salary and they want me to spend as much as I can there.

If it transfers/is accepted by your 4 year, I wouldn't believe they care. Hopkins and UMaryland doesn't care in the least.

-Liz

my friend took the entire Phys/Math/Bio sequence at JC's and she's at UCLA medical right now. cause she hammered her classes at UCLA, especially the chem sequence (organic +inorgan+biochem). I also heard of many people who got into many big name schools (JHU, HMS) doing their first two years at CC's. Bottomline, do well at the 4-year and you will have nothing to worry about for "most" of the schools. I put most in quotations b/c I heard some SDNers say that a few schools don't accept JC classes like Duke. But I find that very very very very (enough verys for you) hard to believe.

Members don't see this ad :)
I transferred to a 4-year after 2 years at a good JC. Got all my pre-reqs there. The smaller class sizes were a big help- I did really well at the 4-year institution and MCAT science sections. I'm going to a good medical school next year so it worked out for me. I don't think it's "frowned" on (from what I've heard and experienced) unless you do alot worse in the 4-year institution. I actually worked at a premed AMSA conference where admissions officials from Stanford, UCSF, and UC Davis talked about being a premed with a JC background; they basically said that there were no disadvantages to doing the work at a JC. Just make sure the units transfer to your 4-year institution!!!

In a nutshell: there are no major disadvantages to doing work at a JC and nothing wrong with saving a ton of money. :D

rambo said:
I'm going to be taking a pre-req sequence over the summer, and I can take it at a JC, or at a 4 year. Taking the class at a JC will save me time, and money, but I'm concerned that I might be limiting my options come application time.

Bottom line... what schools have you come across that specifically don't accept JC credit? I know Wake Forest doesn't, just off the top of my head.

Thanks.

I don't know who gave you the information on Wake Forest, but it is incorrect. I'm a first year at Wake Forest SOM, and I did all of my basic biology work at a community college. Granted there were some special considerations in my case, but Wake didn't know that until interview time.

You could try emailing the Admissions office- maybe they dont accept cc credit that isnt tied in with your Bac. Deg like with non-science majors that take the science classes outside of their 4-year school and dont care if they transfer.

I'm also going to take alot of my prerequisites (60-70%) at junior college simply because my local state university has very limited classes after 5pm and I work full-time (50 hours/week). I was also a little concerned about taking so many credit hours at junior college also until I saw a profile of an applicant in mdapplicants.com. He is 21 years old, did not complete a bachelors degree, did all his prerequisites at a large but obscure junior college (San Jacinto Community College, just outside Houston), got a 30Q on MCAT, 3.8 GPA, out stellar EC's but got accepted into the following places:

Interviewed, Accepted
Albert Einstein of Yeshiva University
Baylor College
Boston University
Charles Drew University/UCLA
Tulane University
University of Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh
University of Texas, Galveston
Vanderbilt University

He received interviews at the following places:
Interviewed, Waitlisted, Not Accepted
Columbia University
Georgetown University
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
Tufts University
Washington University in St. Louis
Yale University

Congradulations are in order if all his stats/details are true.

I would ask the schools you are applying to if it's a big deal. My feeling is that it isn't for most schools, if you had a good GPA from your 4-yr Degree.
I did all my science pre-reqs at a reputable community college in L.A. and got interviews at Hopkins and Einstein, among others. Others here have mentioned JHU - and I think if the #3 school in the country doesn't have a problem with it....

Good luck

If a school doesn't take JC coursework, they deserve to lose the potentially excellent applicants.

Thanks for all your help :).

Bluemirage said:
I was also a little concerned about taking so many credit hours at junior college also until I saw a profile of an applicant in mdapplicants.com. He is 21 years old, did not complete a bachelors degree, did all his prerequisites at a large but obscure junior college (San Jacinto Community College, just outside Houston), got a 30Q on MCAT, 3.8 GPA, out stellar EC's but got accepted into the following places:

Interviewed, Accepted
Albert Einstein of Yeshiva University
Baylor College
Boston University
Charles Drew University/UCLA
Tulane University
University of Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh
University of Texas, Galveston
Vanderbilt University

He received interviews at the following places:
Interviewed, Waitlisted, Not Accepted
Columbia University
Georgetown University
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
Tufts University
Washington University in St. Louis
Yale University

Congradulations are in order if all his stats/details are true.

For some reason this profile seems HIGHLY suspect. Taking all prereqs at a junior college, getting a 30, having "average stuff," and then getting into sooo many top schools seems too extraordinary to me. Of course, I could be wrong; this is just my gut feeling. If the guy who posted on this profile is on SDN, I'd be very interested to hear his story.