Which schools to apply to?

Started by st3ady
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

st3ady

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I just wanted some thoughts on my stats and where I plan to apply, if you think I have a shot, or if you think I should try applying to other schools.

Stats:
Undergrad cumulative GPA in General Business from University of Maryland, College Park 05': 3.0
Current Post-bac GPA: 3.87 - plan to have a 3 more As by the end of May
Kaplan MCAT practice tests: 16, 18, 19, going to do another online one tonight - Very low, I know, but I asked some of the other students in my Kaplan course and they said they were about the same. Should I post-pone my scheduled May 27th MCAT exam to July/August so I can really study over the summer? It is pretty hard to find time to study with 3 hard science courses at the same time.
Volunteering Hours at ER: 175 hours - plan to reach 250

My post-bac program allows me to apply to 15 schools, every one after 15 is a $15 fee.
Clearly my mcat scores are not so hot, and because of this I plan on applying to the following schools:

Foreign Schools:
1. Universita de Guadalajara
2. Sackler in Israel - long shot probably
3. Ben Gurion in Israel - I have family there
4. Technion in Israel

Caribbean schools:
5. AUC
6. ROSS
7. SABA
8. St. George's
9. St. Matthews
10. AUA

American schools:
11. University of Maryland - probably no shot in hell, unless I magically score a 29+ on mcat
12. Howard - I don't know if I will get accepted since I am white
13. ?
14. ?
15. ?

What are 3 more lower end American MD schools (in the event I manage to do really well on the MCAT). Thanks for your help folks!
 
It doesn't make sense that you have a 3.85 post-bacc GPA, but can only score 19 on practice MCAT exams. If your post-bacc GPA is legitimate, then you should give U.S. schools a try. The reason why is that you have only a 25 to 30% chance of practicing medicine in the U.S. with a foreign medical degree (I've posted links to these stats in the past).

So IMHO, delay the your test date, find 40 hours a week to study for a solid 4 months, and then take the MCAT. After that, apply to all of your state schools and also to at least 24 U.S. medical schools that take out-of-state students.
 
It doesn't make sense that you have a 3.85 post-bacc GPA, but can only score 19 on practice MCAT exams. If your post-bacc GPA is legitimate, then you should give U.S. schools a try. The reason why is that you have only a 25 to 30% chance of practicing medicine in the U.S. with a foreign medical degree (I've posted links to these stats in the past).

So IMHO, delay the your test date, find 40 hours a week to study for a solid 4 months, and then take the MCAT. After that, apply to all of your state schools and also to at least 24 U.S. medical schools that take out-of-state students.

I agree with ntmed - you have a good GPA and you should get the chance to prove yourself on the MCAT. I had a really rough time with the MCAT and took it twice but went up 4 points the second time. My science GPA is about a 3.5 and I scored significantly lower than what I should for my MCAT given a good history of practice exams scores, strong SATs,...etc But sometimes it happens and the trick is to figure out how to avoid that. I really think you should forego the classes and really focus on nailing the MCAT. I found a tutor helped me. I am not sure what the classes are but if they aren't pre-reqs, take them later and just focus on the MCAT.