Which schools to apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chinabuffet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of international dentists have no idea what schools to apply to. Most people apply to all of them, while some limit themselves to only a few. I am just going to write some quick reviews compiled by my international friends on some of the international programs around the US.

UCLA - I hear its not that good a course. The school is located in a bad area of town, the patients aren't very good, and they ask lots of stupid things in the interview. Lots of people have told me bad things about their international course.

NYU - Probably the most popular, but only because they take lots of international students. The course is 3 years which means you pay an extra years tuition. Plus New York is very expensive to live in and the tuition itself is one of the most expensive in all America. The course also sucks. They say you see patients up to 8pm at night. You also have to study a lot and have quizzes and exams very frequently.

Boston U - Not a bad school. But the 7 month preclinical part will drive you insane. They also accept a decent amount of students, but less than NYU. A great place to live in.

U of Michigan - A great school. 2 years long, 3 month preclinical, not very stressful. However they only accept 8 students. Good luck getting in! The winters can be harsh!

Nova - Another great school thats very difficult to get into. All the equipment is top notch and the school is very modern and advanced. I'm not too sure how they treat the international students, but once you are in, its not that stressful. Miami is also a great place to be for the 2 years.

Thats all i got. I know with most people its "wherever i get into I will go" but its always nice to spend these 2 years of your life at a decent place.

Members don't see this ad.

hey, I dont mean to be rude, but your friend who told you about UCLA is not correct.
UCLA is located in westwood...which is RIGHT NEXT TO Bel AIR and Beverly hills ( I dont think i need to explain the status of these 2 cities)....Westwood is also considered one of the 'POSH' areas of Los Angeles. Ive been to UCLA only a million times now....about the course...i wouldnt know....but, if i get into UCLA, i promise to update this thread =).
again, just giving out information. Not trying to offend anybody.
I think that maybe your friend may be talking about USC? now that, i would agree is in a bad area...downtown Los Angeles...not the place to be at night =/

hi,
that's very correct, UCLA has one of the best locations in US.
the area is just superb, the school has excellent infra structure too.
but the biggest pitfall is lack of patients.
being located in a posh locality it's not able to get enough patients, just because people living in that area are capable enough to go to private dentists, again the clinics are pretty disorganized
u can ask a current UCLA student about the requirements to graduate, they have pretty low requirements as compared to USC/LOMA LINDA.
USC being in downtown is flooded with patients although there are other issues with the school too.
it's upto you to decide which one you prefer,
all schools have their pros & cons:thumbup: