Which schools to give deposit to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docstunna

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got into a few schools last night and I was wondering which ones you guys thought would be the best to place a deposit to hold a spot?

I'm really thinking about sending a deposit to UOP, Oklahoma, UNLV, Penn, Case and NYU. What do you guys think? I really don't know which school I want to be at so I think it would be best to at least hold down a spot at each until I make up my mind.

Members don't see this ad.

I got into a few schools last night and I was wondering which ones you guys thought would be the best to place a deposit to hold a spot?

I'm really thinking about sending a deposit to UOP, Oklahoma, UNLV, Penn, Case and NYU. What do you guys think? I really don't know which school I want to be at so I think it would be best to at least hold down a spot at each until I make up my mind.

LOL people will hate you for holding up that many spots (not me). :laugh::laugh: but do it if that makes you feel better.

If you got 7K+ to do so. By all means!

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you hear from UPenn?! and how?! through phone or snail mail? I'm still waiting... :(

people will hate you for it.

But why don't you wait till the last week or so before deposits are due before sending them out. you get 2-3 weeks to pare down choices. Unless you have money to blow. I'm assuming they are all non-refundable deposits, you'll be out 5K minimum assuming each is 1K deposit each.

The best plan would be, pick one then send me the 5K. :D

LOL people will hate you for holding up that many spots (not me). :laugh::laugh: but do it if that makes you feel better.

I'm not out to make any friends over my choice in dental school. Everyone had the opportunity to get into schools, and if I want to pay to hold multiple spots, I really don't see an issue with it. Basically, I just want to be sure that I move my girlfriend and myself to the right place. The money isn't that big of a deal. 5 grand in the grand scheme of all the student loans we'll have isn't even a drop in the bucket.

I'm not out to make any friends over my choice in dental school. Everyone had the opportunity to get into schools, and if I want to pay to hold multiple spots, I really don't see an issue with it. Basically, I just want to be sure that I move my girlfriend and myself to the right place. The money isn't that big of a deal. 5 grand in the grand scheme of all the student loans we'll have isn't even a drop in the bucket.

i figure its not really about making friends, its about seeing your self in the situation as some others that are hoping on people like you to decide and let others have a chance to get in. But, as you said, others have had their opportunities and you have full right to hold as many spots as you can for the time allowed. Good luck and well done

I don't think this is ethical at all. There are many of your peers that are anxious and upset right now because one of those schools are their dream school. If you really can't decide, I would at least narrow it down to 2 schools and send in 2 deposits if I had to.

Good luck deciding and Congrats on getting so many acceptances :) :thumbup:

I don't think this is ethical at all. There are many of your peers that are anxious and upset right now because one of those schools are their dream school. If you really can't decide, I would at least narrow it down to 2 schools and send in 2 deposits if I had to.

some people dont care and dont have the decency, i dont blame them but dont like em either

Of course it's your right to... but that doesn't mean it's cool. It's your right to not tip a cab driver or waitress, but that's not very nice.

Of course it's your right to... but that doesn't mean it's cool. It's your right to not tip a cab driver or waitress, but that's not very nice.

:thumbup:

Well said

Members don't see this ad :)

Ethical? I think you've lost it. There's nothing remotely wrong with a few deposits. People will have to wait a little longer, but that's life. It isn't fair.

if you have 1 month to think about it. why would you send deposits all over the place? take your time and then send out maybe like 2 tops.

if you have 1 month to think about it. why would you send deposits all over the place? take your time and then send out maybe like 2 tops.

Because this is a decision that my girlfriend and I aren't taking lightly. She's applied for a few jobs in some places so that is a factor in this decision. I'm sorry people aren't happy with it, but that's life. I worked my ass for my stats, if people didn't get in, maybe they should've studied harder.

people will hate you for it.

But why don't you wait till the last week or so before deposits are due before sending them out. you get 2-3 weeks to pare down choices. Unless you have money to blow. I'm assuming they are all non-refundable deposits, you'll be out 5K minimum assuming each is 1K deposit each.

The best plan would be, pick one then send me the 5K. :D

Money isn't an issue when your ballin' outta control.

Ethical? I think you've lost it. There's nothing remotely wrong with a few deposits. People will have to wait a little longer, but that's life. It isn't fair.

how's 6 deposits a few? :laugh:

Because this is a decision that my girlfriend and I aren't taking lightly. She's applied for a few jobs in some places so that is a factor in this decision. I'm sorry people aren't happy with it, but that's life. I worked my ass for my stats, if people didn't get in, maybe they should've studied harder.

Your probably gonna make more $$$ than your gf in the long run, so I would go with the best school for you. Picking a school based on her needs might be a mistake. What if she wants to go work in a city where you would have the worst or most expensive dental experience?

Wait...why did you even post this question if you already know your plan of action? :sleep:

I ain't even mad, though. I'm set on my school. Just wanted to add to the consortium of individuals calling you out.

Although I personally think you might be trolling.

:rolleyes:

are you guys going to get married??

if not? why bother?? it;s your life and your decision, not your gf

Like others said, if time is what you need, wait till you have to send in deposits. I still don't consider it necessary to send deposits to all of those schools, and I believe you should narrow it down. This is just a suggestion, and I hold firm what I said. Of course, you may have different ethics and you're free to do what you want (in which case I don't see the point of this thread if you have your mind made up already.)

You could wait until the end of December to send deposits and spend the next few weeks calling the schools (or visiting if you can) and talking with them to help you decide. Even if you scratch one school off your list, you'll save some money. Also, you'd be surprised how much that deposit will be worth when you pay the loan and interest. If you spend $7000 now on deposits, you won't be paying $7000 back in 5 years or whenever you start paying off the loans.

it's your money. however, i wouldn't do it. everything is up to you!

I honestly think you people telling this guy "O don't be a dick and hold spots." At the end of the day hes only going to one school and those other schools are open for another acceptance just later on. No offense but the people that got accepted in the first wave of acceptances are the cream of the crop like someone stated before in another thread, probably worked extremely hard during school busting their ass to get a near 4.0 gpa or a 23+ DAT score or had ridiculous amounts of ECs. Long story short dont hit this guy with the whole guilt game thats pretty messed up to hear after the first day of acceptances. Be supportive. In my opinion if your unsure and if you got the money go for it and pay deposits for all of the schools. Its your own life decsion not these other people on a forum. Also for all you other people that probably hate me watch this video starting at 2:29 or more specifically at 4:38 http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cJD8pZiRIzs

I honestly think you people telling this guy "O don't be a dick and hold spots." At the end of the day hes only going to one school and those other schools are open for another acceptance just later on. No offense but the people that got accepted in the first wave of acceptances are the cream of the crop like someone stated before in another thread, probably worked extremely hard during school busting their ass to get a near 4.0 gpa or a 23+ DAT score or had ridiculous amounts of ECs. Long story short dont hit this guy with the whole guilt game thats pretty messed up to hear after the first day of acceptances. Be supportive. In my opinion if your unsure and if you got the money go for it and pay deposits for all of the schools. Its your own life decsion not these other people on a forum. Also for all you other people that probably hate me watch this video starting at 2:29 or more specifically at 4:38 http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cJD8pZiRIzs

Haha, that video...best

Um, I don't know if you're just bragging, super rich, or just plain inconsiderate. There is no way that ALL SIX of those schools are simultaneously at the top of your list. Why don't you just hold off on sending in those deposits, give it some thought, and only hold a spot in one or two schools?

*Note: I'm not saying this because I want to rush you along. I'm saying this because it's the considerate thing to do.

I still think this guy is jerking us around.

Do schools rescind their offers if you decide within their deadlines? If not, there's no need to waste money. If you're approaching deadline but still haven't decided, then it makes more sense to pay the deposits to buy more time.

And um, take it easy. We all may be colleagues one day.

If his future wife has potential job offers near all those schools, but won't find out until after the deadlines, then putting all the deposits down could be worth it.

you have at least a month to decide. decide then or pick your top two.

Sounds like you've made up your mind, OP.

Take the next 3 weeks to decide on 1. Then use the money you saved to buy your gf a nice necklace.

People should have studied harder? That's a pretty stupid statement coming from someone accepted to so many schools. I'm sure there are many people out there with the same stats as you, and diddnt get accepted by chance.

its your money, waste it however you like. :thumbup:

OP,

You've already made up your mind that you are going to "hold" spots at the previously mentioned schools so what exactly was the point of "asking" of our opinions??

Completely bogus thread...but you're absolutely right. You got into that many schools, congrats! It's your decisions to blow that much money and hold those spots...more power to ya brutha...

i figure its not really about making friends, its about seeing your self in the situation as some others that are hoping on people like you to decide and let others have a chance to get in. But, as you said, others have had their opportunities and you have full right to hold as many spots as you can for the time allowed. Good luck and well done

Haha...sure it's not about making friends. But if you ask me, 7K isn't a drop in the bucket. It's a whole year's rent (depending on the city).

I would hold UofP and UPenn for sure. Great schools.

Money isn't an issue when your ballin' outta control.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you Exhibit A...."The reason why so many students can't pay off their debt."

Nothing against you, OP, but my advice to everyone else is to spend your money wisely. Wait until the last minute to pay those deposits!! And only pay for the ones you have thought twice about.

OP, if I was in your gf's shoes, I'd be voting for University of the Pacific. Hello San Fran!

This thread is hilarious! We have an OP (who is probably just a troll with a brand new account) who is talking about throwing away ~$6000.

On one side of the argument we have people saying that because this guy has earned this right by working hard he should waste $6000 if he wants to. And to back up this argument somebody posted a video about how we shouldn't be self entitled and that this is the whole problem with the OWS generation. Considering the average applicant is in student debt from undergrad and you're saying the OP should waste $6000 is a whole bunch of nonsense. One of the major issues with OWS is student debt and wasting money. The other funny part is the OWS movement is addressing the lack of jobs currently. In previous years, the OP's gf would have already had a job by now.

On the other side we have people saying it's unethical to hold these spots, whining how they should be stress free by getting into their school of choice as soon as possible. It's not really unethical. Holding multiple deposits is not a big deal in the schools' eyes. Some people need more time than others. Plenty of people are holding only one deposit, holding out for some other school.

The OP in my opinion, should throw out Case, UNLV and Oklahoma because his gf just won't find a long term job in those places.