Which schools want us to send in printed AMCAS apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have sent paper copies to Geo. Washington, Mount Sinai, UVA, and Jefferson despite lack of an official announcement that they are taking them. Since they all have their secondaries on-line and don't screen, why not? I only submitted AMCAS on July 25, and would prefer that the schools know I'm applying before the end of August. Does anyone have any official information about these schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I spoke with Sophia at Jefferson Medical College today about sending copies of the AMCAS application. She said they're not accepting them right now and that they will most likely wait for AMCAS. I wouldn't send them unless a school asks for em, otherwise it's just a waste of time and money.

I spoke to someone at Mt. Sinai, and she said not to send copies of our AMCAS printout. They are just gonna throw them away. You can send in the secondary though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all. Can we make a list of secondaries online also? So far I know that these are available:

Saint Louis U
Baylor
Albert Einstein
Tulane

Thanks!

hey,
conscerning the mcp , i called them, and the a lady in the admissions office told me that we could mail them a copy of our amcas to get a secondary quicker, unfortunately, no hay un viniculo, there aint no link. i think that it is the same with some of the other schools, but at least it is something . . . :D

Thanks for the info on MCP jdub. i was actually browsing there website too and couldn't find anything on that. so have people been calling their schools to find out if they accept copies of our AMCAS? I was just wondering also if anyone actually received an email from Hahnemann saying that they would accept printed copies.

Originally posted by bubbaap:
[QB]Hey all. Can we make a list of secondaries online also? So far I know that these are available:

Saint Louis U
Baylor
Albert Einstein
Tulane
Wash U (my additions from here down)
Rochester - don't send till they ask
Mount Sinai
UVA - need link, see above in thread
Jefferson

U of Chicago is also available online.

so the list of online secondaries is:

U of Chicago
Baylor
Albert Einstein
Tulane
Mount Sinai
Jefferson

Rochester is now asking for copies of AMCAS to be sent along with MCAT scores and their secondary application.

See my other post, "University of Rochester Revised Procedures", and the U of R website. :rolleyes:

This is the email i got from hahnemann:

You can send us a hard copy of the AMCAS application to 2900 Queen Lane, Philadelphia, PA 19129

Sincerely,
Lisa Cifelli

Originally posted by TwoSteveSquared:
•U of Chicago is also available online.

so the list of online secondaries is:

U of Chicago
Baylor
Albert Einstein
Tulane
Mount Sinai
Jefferson•

Hey, TwoSteveSquared, You left off Saint Louis U.
The list is now:

U. of Chicago
Saint Louis U.
Baylor
Albert Einstein
Tulane
Wash U.
Rochester - now OK to send secondary in light of their new revised procedure.
Mount Sinai
UVA - need link, see thread about UVA
Jefferson

And just to keep us current, the list of schools accepting paper copies of AMCAS now includes Loma Linda (thank you, Gower!).
Here's the updated list:

George Washington
Johns Hopkins
Saint Louis Univ.(never abbreviate Saint!)
Tulane
Pittsburgh
Washington Univ. St. Louis
Yale
Vanderbilt
MCP Hahnemann
Albert Einstein
Iowa
Medical College of Wisconsin
U of Rochester
Loma Linda University

u guys kick ass. THANK YOU FOR THE LIST! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
One more, at the bottom (just got their email today :D )

George Washington
Johns Hopkins
Saint Louis Univ.(never abbreviate Saint!)
Tulane
Pittsburgh
Yale
Vanderbilt
MCP Hahnemann
Albert Einstein
Iowa
U of Rochester
Loma Linda University
SUNY at Buffalo

can someone please give me the hanehman and vanderbilt insturcitons and online addresss for secondaries :(

pleaaaassee :(

These probably have been listed, but I thought I throw them in anyway:

I was requested to send in AMCAS printouts to:

Albert Einstein
George Washington
Tulane
Yale

hey WatchaMaCallit,
there is no mcp on-line stuff, they are just accepting copies of amcas to start sending some secondaries... :D

Hey, Georgey, I know it's summer, but, geez, pay attention! We're adding to the list, not posting repeats of schools already on the list!

You too, jdub! If you'll just scroll up a bit, you'll see the list of which schools have secondaries on-line. It is NOT the same as the list of schools accepting paper copies of AMCAS!

Oops, sorry jdub, I meant watchamacallit!

SMW...u just bequiet...nobody said anything about them accepting paper copies...I wanted the online info :D

and sjdub thanks for the info :D

u have the address for hanehman and vanderbuilt? so vanderbuilt doesnt have online address either? do you have the emails from haneman and vanderbuilt? can you please post them? ;)

SMW, dont even say a word :D

U of Chicago (Pritzker Sch. of Med.) is online? How come I can't find it? Is it one of those things where they contact you and their secondary is a secure site? And I guess they don't want our paper apps either since no one has posted it and I can't find anything about it on their website. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong :p

OK, here's the deal. I called all the schools I applied to today and asked them if they wanted me to send in my AMCAS. All of them said no, including George Washington, which is listed on your list of schools requesting it. I promise you I spoke with an admissions person today and she told me no! Now she said that they were sending me a secondary, so maybe I wait until I get the secondary? But why a flat no? Should I go ahead and send it? What do you think?

that's odd, kspillman, because GWU explicitly states on the letter enclosed with their secondary that they would like the AMCAS printout. i went ahead and included it.

Originally posted by pendulum:
•I just received GW's secondary!!! The attached letter requests a printed "unofficial" copy of the AMCAS application.

:)
This appears to be the original source for Geo. Wahington being on the list as requesting paper copies of AMCAS. Plus, now sandflea says the same thing. Maybe they want to request it rather than getting unsolicited copies (but why would they care?)

i don't have the letter in front of me so i can't post its exact wording, but i'm 100% positive that GWU requested a paper copy of AMCAS. there was a fairly detailed letter enclosed with their secondary that asked for us to include it, but it also said that they would still wait for the official transmitted app from AMCAS before they started requesting interviews. however, there was no mention of this on the secondary itself, only on the enclosed letter. i almost didn't see it! why kspillman was told that it wasn't necessary to send a copy in, i'm not sure, but i know for a fact that the letter asked for it. regardless, i sent a copy to them.

have a lot of you NOT received their secondary yet? i received it nearly two weeks ago.

Well, it's a moot point now that AMCAS is sending paper copies to all the schools.(See their apology in the thread entitled "AMCAS e-mail." Damn! I've wasted a lot of time sending out paper copies!

Well, so much for this thread I guess. I wonder if we should still send in paper apps though...

Originally posted by SMW:
•Well, it's a moot point now that AMCAS is sending paper copies to all the schools.(See their apology in the thread entitled "AMCAS e-mail." Damn! I've wasted a lot of time sending out paper copies!•

Do you REALLY think AMCAS is just going to be perfectly efficient and mail out 40,000 apps next week with no problems whatsoever? I'm almost willing to bet money that they will miss some people and there will be lots of people who fall thru the cracks, even on something as simple as mailing out paper copies.

Thanks for the responses. I think I will go ahead and send them a copy. I know AMCAS is supposed to be doing this now but I'll do it anyway. Couldn't hurt.

Originally posted by baylor21:
•Do you REALLY think AMCAS is just going to be perfectly efficient and mail out 40,000 apps next week with no problems whatsoever? I'm almost willing to bet money that they will miss some people and there will be lots of people who fall thru the cracks, even on something as simple as mailing out paper copies.•

As of yesterday and today, I called simply to confirm: Albert Einstien, Saint Louis U., and MCP Hahnemann are still accepting our AMCAS printouts.

I just got an email from the University of Washington asking to send in a printed AMCAS.

I'm wondering why they are asking for this when they have already been notified that AMCAS is going to mail paper copies?

Looks like we arent the only ones that dont trust AMCAS anymore.

The updated list of schools with alternate procedures (paper AMCAS copies):

Baylor
George Washington
Johns Hopkins
Saint Louis Univ.
Tulane
Pittsburgh
Yale
Vanderbilt
MCP Hahnemann
Albert Einstein
Iowa
U of Rochester
Loma Linda University
SUNY at Buffalo
University of Washington

Baylor, you are of course right that we shouldn't trust AMCAS to efficiently mail out all these paper copies! If they can't even do what they're supposed to be doing, how are they going to handle another gargantuan task?
I don't regret a single paper copy I've sent, now that I think about it, and I'm sending one to U. of Washington right away. Thanks for the news and the reality check!

Question: do you suppose AMCAS will send out paper apps without verifying grades? If they do, then what the devil is the point? Another poster mentioned that they couldn't possibly send out 40,000 printed apps without mistakes, and I would like to opine that only a small number of apps will be sent out right now.

Why would AMCAS send out nonverified apps? You've gotta think that only a small number of people have verified apps, and that only they should reasonably expect AMCAS to, well, "transmit." I think everyone else would be very wise to continue mailing their own copies, instead of placing faith in AMCAS's empty promise of something that may well never happen.

Originally posted by SMW:
•Baylor, you are of course right that we shouldn't trust AMCAS to efficiently mail out all these paper copies! If they can't even do what they're supposed to be doing, how are they going to handle another gargantuan task?
I don't regret a single paper copy I've sent, now that I think about it, and I'm sending one to U. of Washington right away. Thanks for the news and the reality check!•

Re-reading my response to your post, I probably came across as rude. My anger/sarcasm was really directed at AMCAS, not you so sorry if I came across that way.

Good luck, I'm going to go ahead and plow away with the alternate procedures too.

hey people, I love this list.

I heard Jefferson wants hard copy of AMCAS. my friend told me. is this true?

I would agree that they can only send out a paper copy of an app that's already been "processed," and there seem to precious few of these. I didn't submit until July 25th (and just today got the e-mail that acknowledges my submission) and can't really believe the lag time between submission and processing is going to improve anytime soon. Another reason to contine utilizing the alternate procedures. Sigh. For a while there I thought we could relax. Back to worrying about whether they'll be broadcasting our list of schools (22 on mine) to the world.
(a rephrasing of my post on another thread.)

Originally posted by C U in MD school:
•hey people, I love this list.

I heard Jefferson wants hard copy of AMCAS. my friend told me. is this true?•

I haven't heard a thing about Jefferson requesting hard copy. But I sent them one anyway. I've sent one to every school I'm applying to that has their secondary on-line. And since AMCAS is now sending them, what's the difference? Mine may get there a little (probably A LOT!) quicker.

Do people think it's a good idea to keep the list going now that AMCAS is sending out paper copies? Anyone know of any other schools that have instituted alternative procedures that aren't on the list? Will schools just throw away our paper copies and wait for AMCAS's?

Yeah sure AMCAS is going to send them to medical schools. And they're confident they'll be electronically transmitting on July 15th!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Can somebody supply me with ohio state's secondary applicaiton info? what do they want?

does anybody have the url? anything from ohio state?

thanks

Originally posted by Drako:
•A permanent home for the list of med schools that take paper amcas 2002 and web secondaries
http://www.geocities.com/lvnh6791/paperamcas2002.htm

Thank you to all who shared. This follows in that spirit!•

Thanks for the site. It's a great idea. I have a couple of questions. Where did you get the information that Mount Sinai, UVA and Jefferson are accepting paper copies? I've
been following this quite closely, and haven't heard a thing about these schools. Also, U. of Washington should be on
the list.

Also, I think you're missing a few schools with on-line secondaries. Like Jefferson, Univ. of Texas Southwest, Texas Tech, U. of Kentuckey, U. of Louisville, and Michigan
State.

I called Mt. Sinai and they said NOT to send a paper app. They are waiting for AMCAS. But you can send them their secondary.

A friend of mine called Ohio State university and they said they are also frustrated with the whole situation....they told her to go ahead and send a copy of her AMCAS appliation with a copy of her MCAT scores only....

Anyway, I guess I should do it ASAP....I thought I would share that bit of information :D

Apparently, they haven't updated their website, cuz I checked and it is the same old info....oh well, I trust my friend, that is the only thing I can trust at this point instead of AMCAS!!! ARGH :confused: