Which schools!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here is the scenario:
Taking Mcat August 16 so my app won't be in till around mid September.

3.3ish GPA
Good EC and LOR
If I were to score 30+, would it still be worth it to even apply to md schools, or should I stick with DO?

I would rather be MD, but I know I have a low GPA and am applying late.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Wrong forum.

2) No MD will accept you. Unless your dad is the adcom or influential over the governor of Florida.

3) Your GPA is low but DO may be possible. However, with such a late application and no DO shadowing, you have zero chance. Make that negative 10% chance.

Conclusion: Bring up your GPA, shadow a DO, do well on the MCAT, and apply next year. If you apply in September, you will piss away money.

1) Wrong forum.

2) No MD will accept you. Unless your dad is the adcom or influential over the governor of Florida.

3) Your GPA is low but DO may be possible. However, with such a late application and no DO shadowing, you have zero chance. Make that negative 10% chance.

Conclusion: Bring up your GPA, shadow a DO, do well on the MCAT, and apply next year. If you apply in September, you will piss away money.

I do.
I have 2 years Alzheimer's research
4 years volunteering in a surgery center
2 years volunteering at a company called fresh start offering reconstructive surgery to children
Lots of mD and DO shadowing

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're going to have trouble getting into an MD, due to late app+ low GPA, unless your MCAT is insanely high. DO might even be difficult, given the lateness of your app, but 30+ MCAT might help.

topsy was trolling you.

DO schools tend to be a bit more forgiving of the "low" (medical school definition of low GPA is ridiculous" GPA, so you would have better shots there. That said, you could draw the attention of some MD schools if you get 32+ on the MCAT.

https://www.aamc.org/download/270906/data

topsy was trolling you.

DO schools tend to be a bit more forgiving of the "low" (medical school definition of low GPA is ridiculous" GPA, so you would have better shots there. That said, you could draw the attention of some MD schools if you get 32+ on the MCAT.

I wouldn't call the response a troll response. It was a bit absolute, but given the "low" GPA matched with a late application (which isn't accounted for in your link), the chances of getting into into an MD school are pretty freakin low. Sure, if you get a 32+ on your MCAT, you may want to apply to a few MD schools, but not concentrating on DO schools would likely be a mistake.

With a late MCAT and low GPA, your MD chances are quickly dwindling away. DO may still be an option, but, again, your app will be late and have a mediocre GPA at best. It's possible, but you need to be realistic with yourself and choose wisely. If you're insistent on applying this cycle, I would stick to DO unless you land something higher than a 36 on the MCAT.

topsy was trolling you.

I was not trolling. He never mentioned DO shadowing, which is a common requirement at DO schools. Beyond that, applying so late is a death sentence. He'd be lucky to get an interview or two. If he applies next year and on time, he can absolutely get into a DO school assuming his MCAT isn't abysmal. Applying that late to MD with that low a GPA is an insta-reject. Again, next year, if applies early with a strong MCAT, he can possibly get in at an MD.

I was not trolling. He never mentioned DO shadowing, which is a common requirement at DO schools. Beyond that, applying so late is a death sentence. He'd be lucky to get an interview or two. If he applies next year and on time, he can absolutely get into a DO school assuming his MCAT isn't abysmal. Applying that late to MD with that low a GPA is an insta-reject. Again, next year, if applies early with a strong MCAT, he can possibly get in at an MD.

Do YOU think it is worth it to
Wait an extra year? I am already 25 years old.

If there are a few schools that you would really like to go to, apply this cycle there. The rationale is that many medical schools have a point system to weigh applicants, and reapplicants are boosted up for next cycle. If you get in, great. If you don't, you're boosted up next cycle.

APPLY ASAP.

Tldr: Apply this cycle for next cycle.

If there are a few schools that you would really like to go to, apply this cycle there. The rationale is that many medical schools have a point system to weigh applicants, and reapplicants are boosted up for next cycle. If you get in, great. If you don't, you're boosted up next cycle.

APPLY ASAP.

since when? why would they want someone that other medical schools didn't want last year?

APPLY ASAP.

Not true. I was flat out rejected pre - interview at the schools I interviewed at last cycle, and only two of the fourteen I applied to before gave me an interview this time.

You have to show significant improvements as a reapplicant; being a reapplicant is not a good thing,

APPLY ASAP.

Bad, bad, bad advice. You haven't even taken the MCAT yet, stop giving ****ty advice. I was a triple reapplicant. It is an uphill battle. Reapps are not given a red carpet. Check all the posts about depression/discouragement in the reapp subforum. Every time you reapply, you need at least one new LOR and need to have accomplished something that says 'I'm a better candidate than last year'. If your app is the same, it gets tossed in the trash. And yes, they do compare your current app to previous cycle apps.

Do YOU think it is worth it to
Wait an extra year? I am already 25 years old.

Unless you have some secret weapon you aren't sharing with us, I do not think it is worth it. Work on your GPA, rock the MCAT, and do **** (read http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=503250). Reapply next year. DO is a strong shot; MD is a long shot. You could probably get an MD interview or two, but you may get zero.

Apply early (submit primary in June, you'll get secondaries late July to early August, get them all submitted within a week or so of receiving the secondary. Ignore the 'deadlines' the give you, if you submit the secondaries in sept/oct/nov/dec, you are sabotaging yourself) and schedule your interviews to the earliest date you are offered if possible. The earlier you get **** done, the better your chances. The difference for primary app submission between June 10th and June 20th is tiny, but it's a slippery slope. Show some discipline.

You're 25. The average age of entry to med school is 24. If you matriculate at 26, boo hoo. It doesn't matter. A lot of your class will be your age. By the time you start residency, you'll be 30. There will be many 30 year old residents beside you. Who cares? If you waste a cycle, you will flush money down the drain, and lower your chances in the future. Would you prefer to matriculate at 27?

Last edited:
Bad, bad, bad advice. You haven't even taken the MCAT yet, stop giving ****ty advice. I was a triple reapplicant. It is an uphill battle. Reapps are not given a red carpet. Check all the posts about depression/discouragement in the reapp subforum. Every time you reapply, you need at least one new LOR and need to have accomplished something that says 'I'm a better candidate than last year'. If your app is the same, it gets tossed in the trash. And yes, they do compare your current app to previous cycle apps.

Unless you have some secret weapon you aren't sharing with us, I do not think it is worth it. Work on your GPA, rock the MCAT, and do ****. Reapply next year. DO is a strong shot; MD is a long shot. You could probably get an MD interview or two, but you may get zero (I got 1 with a 3.3 and a balanced 33 MCAT). My first cycle, I applied late (roughly sept) and got zero interviews. Second cycle, I had no real improvement, but I did apply on time - zero interviews. Third cycle, I did an SMP (which I did very well in). I got 1 interview before grades were sent out (waitlist). After they got sent out, I got 2 more interviews and was waiting to hear back from a third school for an interview. I got an acceptance to my SMP's med school, so I withdrew from everything else.

Apply early (submit primary in June, you'll get secondaries late July to early August, get them all submitted within a week or so of receiving the secondary. Ignore the 'deadlines' the give you, if you submit the secondaries in sept/oct/nov/dec, you are sabotaging yourself) and schedule your interviews to the earliest date you are offered if possible. The earlier you get **** done, the better your chances. The difference for primary app submission between June 10th and June 20th is tiny, but it's a slippery slope. Show some discipline.

You're 25. The average age of entry to med school is 24. If you matriculate at 26, boo hoo. It doesn't matter. A lot of your class will be your age. By the time you start residency, you'll be 30. There will be many 30 year old residents beside you. Who cares? If you waste a cycle, you will flush money down the drain, and lower your chances in the future. Would you prefer to matriculate at 27?

This. Applying to MD schools in Sept. w/ a 3.3 GPA is basically like throwing money in the garbage. Unless you get a super high MCAT (35+) and have some relatively non-competitive state med school(s) wait till next year

This. Applying to MD schools in Sept. w/ a 3.3 GPA is basically like throwing money in the garbage. Unless you get a super high MCAT (35+) and have some relatively non-competitive state med school(s) wait till next year

Ugh...I am just so confused. I guess the only thing I can focus on right now is doing well on my MCAT in August. IF I were to do a post-bac...how do I go about this? Do I have to apply a year in advance or when do I apply? I see they have a program at UCSD and it's 25k!

Ugh...I am just so confused. I guess the only thing I can focus on right now is doing well on my MCAT in August. IF I were to do a post-bac...how do I go about this? Do I have to apply a year in advance or when do I apply? I see they have a program at UCSD and it's 25k!

Even if you got 33+ on your MCAT I doubt you do very well this cycle applying to MD schools. Considering you are taking the MCAT in Aug and wont get your score back till Sept. If you applied DO this cycle, you may have a shot. If you get a solid MCAT this year (33+) and apply early next cycle, you got a slight chance. If you apply with that score early for DO you have a solid chance.

Do you really wanna waste money on a slim chance?

APPLY ASAP.

What school does this?