which schools...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
which schools should i apply to?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
which schools should i apply to?

I got a 28 on my MCAT (second time. First: slightly lower.) Do schools take an average or just second score? My GPA is over 3.9.
Both scores will be looked at.
I am a second time applicant- each appication cycle I got just one interview and was placed on wait lists (at state schools.) Last year, I thought my lack of success was due to applying late- around December for primary application. But, this year I applied early- Submitted primary in August.
August isn't really early.

I'm still on the waiting list this year. I don't know what my chances are this year, so I'm debating if I should reapply-and to which schools? I was thinking of retaking the mcat, but the last time I took it was 2 years ago, and I don't know how much I've retained. I've also taken chem and physics 3-5 years ago.
(Some other stuff: I have research experience-including publication, I volunteered abroad as well as in US in various areas, studied abroad, shadowed doctors, worked, listed on dean's list, who's who.)

Is there anything I can do, to make myself a more competitive applicant, besides retaking the MCAT?
Continue your volunteering/ECs.

And, which schools should I apply to? (I would like to stay in the Northeast, or any big city anywhere else in the country.)
I don't think you can be too picky at this point. You need to be applying very broadly.

Any other advice would be appreciated.
I would retake the MCAT.

You might consider adding DO schools to your application list.

Get your application in during the first week of June next time.

Reassess your Letters of Reference and be sure they are solidly supporting you.

Rewrite your Personal Statement, since it didn't get you in this year, and have it critiqued by many people.

I share your pain at the thought of relearning all that material to retake the MCAT, but it's your best option, unless you add the DO schools to your list. If you plan to retake, take this year off so you can take a formal course and dedicate some months to relearning the material. It won't be worth the expense to apply late again.