which scripps is which??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Radon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone enlighten me on the differences between the 2 scripps in san diego (scipps-mercy vs. scipps green) in terms of best chance of getting a fellowship, rep etc. thanks!

ray

Members don't see this ad.

Radon said:
can anyone enlighten me on the differences between the 2 scripps in san diego (scipps-mercy vs. scipps green) in terms of best chance of getting a fellowship, rep etc. thanks!

ray

bump

I'm wondering the same thing....

Tar Heel Born said:
bump

I'm wondering the same thing....

My two cents for what its worth---

Scripps Mercy- formerly called just Mercy was/is a catholic inner city type hospital. located in a very cool part of the city, hillcrest. they have a diverse pt population & from what i hear the residents work super hard, don't seem too cohesive.

Green - is more of the private hospital setting, located in beautiful La Jolla with the wealthy clientelle type, overlooking the beach. They offer some of the better fellowships if that is what you are interested in. The teaching is probably better there.

from there you decide-

Hi, I'm at UCSD - and having worked at both, I can tell you that they are very different hospitals.

Scripps-Mercy is located close to downtown San Diego and serves a patient population very similar to that of UCSD (Spanish really helps!). The categorical medicine residents work alongside transitional medicine residents in the PGY-1 year. Also, one of the ward months is done at UCSD (four blocks down the street). The faculty is excellent and the teaching is wonderful. I would disagree that the residents aren't "cohesive" - in fact, I would state just the opposite. The residents do work hard but overall appear quite happy. In general, the program does a good job of alternating ward/outpatient months and gives you ample time for electives. Excellent board passage rate and I've seen quite a few people match to some nice fellowships.

Scripps-Green is located in La Jolla and as a result has a very different patient population than Scripps-Mercy (as was mentioned before). Very nice hospital; teaching on par with Mercy. I feel like you get a better look at specialties here; note that you do some rotations through the Naval Medical Center. It may be right next to the beach, but unfortunately you don't get to visit it that much. Also, by reputation, residents who graduate this program also match to many fellowships.

Hope that helps... :)