Which should PS focus more on?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cottoncandy500

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why one wants to be a physician OR why one would make a good physician (shown through examples)?

I am getting conflicting opinions and I'm pushing the character limit so I'm trying to condense.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You should do both. First talk about why you want to be a physician, then talk about how you worked to become a doctor that has desirable qualities.

If you simply talked about why you want to become a physician, it's hard to tell if you'd be a good one (let alone have the qualities to become one). Leaving the reader to fill in the holes through memorable experiences may be fine, but not optimal.

If you simply talked about why you'd be a good doctor, it's hard to tell what the underlying motivations for becoming a doctor may be.

Why one wants to be a physician. Claiming you'll be a good physician comes off as arrogant hogwash, don't do it- you aren't God's gift to the profession, and if you think you are, you're probably wrong. You don't know what it takes to be a good physician, nor what it means to be a good physician, until you're actually a physician- I don't even know what it takes to be a good doc as a medical student and person with many prior years in healthcare, it's still coming together. What you want is more tangible, what you will become is part of the journey. Focus on the tangible.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's how you phrase it. There's already some consensus on what would constitute a desirable doctor. You hear about it on the news, AAMC websites, school websites, etc. Things such as leadership qualities, flexibility with diverse cultures, and good communication skills are a given, so it wouldn't be too much of a trouble to talk about how your experiences exhibit those qualities without explicitly saying "good doctor".

If you start your sentence off with "I think I'd be a great physician because..." then it does make me cringe a bit.

Hmm thanks for the opinions, although they are still conflicting :) Maybe I will focus on how I have shown that I want to be a doctor with anecdotes that show my positive qualities. It's tricky...

Focus on your motivation for pursuing the profession and make sure you communicate your understanding of a physician's work, responsibilities, and overall role within healthcare and in patients' lives.

If you want to stress positive qualities try to do so using anecdotes based on your experiences to make it more natural. Good luck.

You need to focus on why you want to be a doctor. It's up to the admissions committee to decide if these reasons are compelling enough to give you the chance to be a good doctor.

Here's a secret: some of the reasons you want to be a doctor are probably reasons you'd make a good doctor. You sort of hit two birds with one bottlerocket.

For example, someone wants to be a physician because he or she has been through a chronic illness and has seen what doctors can do for them. That experience will also make you a better doctor, because you've experienced what patients will when you're on the other side of the fence.

I will tell you this for a decisive final answer: write about WHY you want to be a doctor. The rest will follow naturally.