Which SMP should I attend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

femme

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide which SMP is right for me... I applied to Boston, Georgetown and Rosalind Franklin and was accepted to all three. As of now, I'm trying to pick between Georgetown and RFU.

Here's whats on my mind:

Georgetown has a great program, exciting location and good reputation as a med school. Top 20ish students with 3.5+ GPAs get interviews for Gtown Med.

RFU has a good program, suburban setting, is on probation (? not sure of the details), but historically, anyone with a 3.0+ can matriculate into their med school.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current student at the Georgetown SMP and I might be going to RF next year for med school, so here are my thoughts:

If you just want to get into any medical school, ie. would be content with an acceptance to RF, I would go there because it seems like an easier program with an almost guaranteed acceptance assuming you can do decently well. Don't worry about the probation, it is in the process of being fixed. A number of schools have been in this situation before, and many more will reach that point in the future. If you are looking to the more competitive specialties or to other medical schools, Georgetown is the better way to go because it is more nationally know amongst medical schools and Georgetown itself does very well for the competitive specialties. FYI about 50 people interview from the SMP class not 20, but just getting to that point is pretty difficult.

Also, consider the locations. Georgetown is in quite possibly the best part of DC whereas RF is about 45 minutes outside of Chicago. This will affect your social life/cultural experiences. Hope this helps. Good luck.

California Bear's description echos a lot of what I've heard on other forums regarding Georgetown vs. RFU - you might want to do an SDN search on those threads to get a sense of people's experiences with the highs and lows, etc. But I've heard the same thing...people that do awesome at RFU matriculate pretty easily into their program, and maybe other places like Rush. But the circle is smaller than if you were to do Georgetown I think. I dunno - I hope to be in your shoes this time next year! Any advice on getting into those programs would be much appreciated :) Congratulations and good luck making a decision. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are looking for a post-bacc that allows you to take first year med classes...dont forget about Drexel's IMS

What about EVMS???? If you matriculate you get MSI credit for your SMP classes....

I would like to hear from people who went through EVMS. I got accepted there and also to a DO. I am pretty darn sure I will be going to EVMS. Sounds like a great program.

bioteacher said:
I would like to hear from people who went through EVMS. I got accepted there and also to a DO. I am pretty darn sure I will be going to EVMS. Sounds like a great program.

Yes, what are the thoughts on Georgetown VS. EVMS. Both are 1-year programs, have informal linkages with and give course credit to their corresponding M.D. programs, and they have comparable post-MS acceptance rates.

I know Norfolk is nothing to high-five over, but is G-Town really worth the extra $6,000 + high DC living expenses?

I got into both, and I'm having trouble deciding. Any thoughts?

BDevil2003 said:
I know Norfolk is nothing to high-five over, but is G-Town really worth the extra $6,000 + high DC living expenses?

I got into both, and I'm having trouble deciding. Any thoughts?

Norfolk is coming around though - it's getting more of a scene for young people and a lot of their neigborhoods are getting regentrified (sp?). The military has a huge presence though, but it tends to be more on the eastern side i think. I go there once a year to see family, and run the va. beach 1/2 marathon, hoo-ah!

but g-town the school does have some schwag though! good luck deciding! :luck:

CaliforniaBear said:
I am a current student at the Georgetown SMP and I might be going to RF next year for med school, so here are my thoughts:

If you just want to get into any medical school, ie. would be content with an acceptance to RF, I would go there because it seems like an easier program with an almost guaranteed acceptance assuming you can do decently well. Don't worry about the probation, it is in the process of being fixed. A number of schools have been in this situation before, and many more will reach that point in the future. If you are looking to the more competitive specialties or to other medical schools, Georgetown is the better way to go because it is more nationally know amongst medical schools and Georgetown itself does very well for the competitive specialties. FYI about 50 people interview from the SMP class not 20, but just getting to that point is pretty difficult.

Also, consider the locations. Georgetown is in quite possibly the best part of DC whereas RF is about 45 minutes outside of Chicago. This will affect your social life/cultural experiences. Hope this helps. Good luck.

*Post by PREMED...not GINTIEN*

Don't listen to Calbear, he has no idea what he's talking about... :laugh: jk Rich. I am also a current GT SMP student and I would definitely recommend GT over RF due to the same reasons Calbear mentioned.