Which specialties are able to match my desired lifestyle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlatIsJustice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for a specialty that allows the following:

Many available positions in urban areas with the ability to work 20-30 hours a week only.

Ability to earn over 150k working 20-30 hours a week only in said urban area.

I don't really care about anything else.

Does such a thing exist?

Members don't see this ad.

private practice cash only psychiatry

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Mommy track anesthesiology. Matter of fact you'll probably make 250k+ doing part-time gas work.

Reactions: 1 users
Mommy track anesthesiology. Matter of fact you'll probably make 250k+ doing part-time gas work.

But if you want it that easy, your ass would have been better becoming a CRNA. lolz

I don't think the earning potential would be the same for CRNA

What do you mean by mommy track?

I don't think the earning potential would be the same for CRNA

What do you mean by mommy track?

Doing part-time work. Why do you think there are so many females in gas nowadays and have been compared to other specialties?

They take "mommy track" positions where they aren't doing a full 60-70 hour work week. 2-3 days a week is all and a little call but they are clearing more than $250,000 EASY.

Doing part-time work. Why do you think there are so many females in gas nowadays and have been compared to other specialties?

They take "mommy track" positions where they aren't doing a full 60-70 hour work week. 2-3 days a week is all and a little call but they are clearing more than $250,000 EASY.

Would they be open to hiring males for these positions? Are the hours really under 30?

Do any other specialties have similar type positions?

You want to spend a decade of your life accumulating knowledge to only use it 20 hours/week?

Reactions: 6 users
20hrs is not even 1 day...

Members don't see this ad :)
Work 2 days a week (24 hrs) in EM doing locums and you'd probably clear more than 150k i'd imagine.

Work 2 days a week (24 hrs) in EM doing locums and you'd probably clear more than 150k i'd imagine.
Unless the doctor has years and years of experience, I would not trust a fresh grad working 2 days a damn week in the ER

Reactions: 2 users
Unless the doctor has years and years of experience, I would not trust a fresh grad working 2 days a damn week in the ER
I wouldn't either but a locums company desperate for a licensed fresh body would. How that factors into their experience leading to malpractice is another matter entirely.

Reactions: 1 user
Would they be open to hiring males for these positions? Are the hours really under 30?

Do any other specialties have similar type positions?

Yeah dude lol

They can't deny you based off of sex... that's illegal fam lol

If it isn't exactly under 30 it should be AROUND there.

Don't listen to the haters.

Moving to pre-dental

Reactions: 18 users

An EDP I know found a locums to pay him 10k for two 6-hour weekend shifts. Do that half the weekends in the year...

psych and derm i'm pretty certain fit

EM and anesthesia - makes sense in theory but am not sure how common it is, especially in a big city where you'd be competing with other docs willing to do full-time.

Really though, you could do a job share hospitalist position. There's places that will allow two people to split one 7 on/7 off job so that you work one week out of every four, or three days one week and four days the other, and have the other 21 out of the 28 days off. Compensation is usually 120-150k, depending on how desperate the place is for coverage.

Looking for a specialty that allows the following:

Many available positions in urban areas with the ability to work 20-30 hours a week only.

Ability to earn over 150k working 20-30 hours a week only in said urban area.

I don't really care about anything else.

Does such a thing exist?

Derm at a top ranked residency in one of the major coastal cities.
15+ pubs, AOA, step 1/2 260+.

GLHF.

Really though, you could do a job share hospitalist position. There's places that will allow two people to split one 7 on/7 off job so that you work one week out of every four, or three days one week and four days the other, and have the other 21 out of the 28 days off. Compensation is usually 120-150k, depending on how desperate the place is for coverage.

Even more in ****ty areas Jack.

I have cousins that are hospitalists hitting more than $250K in middle of nowhere but they are on the 7 day on and 7 day off.

They do their work, drive/fly back to home for 7 days and do whatever they wanna do.

Great lifestyle that is often overlooked on here for SURE.

Even more in ****ty areas Jack.

I have cousins that are hospitalists hitting more than $250K in middle of nowhere but they are on the 7 day on and 7 day off.

They do their work, drive/fly back to home for 7 days and do whatever they wanna do.

Great lifestyle that is often overlooked on here for SURE.
I was talking about a job share where two people split one position, so it's 7 on/21 off essentially, hence the lower pay (that 250k gets split between two people, down to 125k each). Some far out places pay 300k or even more, netting you a higher split salary.

I was talking about a job share where two people split one position, so it's 7 on/21 off essentially, hence the lower pay (that 250k gets split between two people, down to 125k each). Some far out places pay 300k or even more, netting you a higher split salary.

Ahhh my bad my guy. :(

School has screwed my reading comprehension :(