Pathology thoughts? Lifestyle specialty? Why not desired?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

la vida loca

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am an incoming medical student who is debating on a bunch of specialties. I was wondering why pathology has not been as desired by medical students? I have heard about their lifestyles being nice and the pay isn’t too bad either so wondering why this field is not super popular. I know that you would need to take an elective during your fourth year to explore the field more and maybe medical school courses don’t really have too much exposure to the pathology field but still interested in peoples thoughts!

Also heard that it’s not a competitive specialty making things a little easier to match, but the job market isn’t great. Wondering how true this is? Also do pathologist have to sub specialize to even find a job in a big city?

Members don't see this ad.

Job market is currently excellent and pay is good, but that has not always been the case. Over the past 30 years or so, there were hospital mergers and practice issues that meant jobs were scarce, but since the pandemic, retirements have opened a lot of jobs. Downside to Pathology is that most jobs are employed, either by hospitals or reference labs, so you don’t have the autonomy that you would in private practice.
Lifestyle is good—you may work lomg days, but night/weekend call is minimal.

Reactions: 5 users
Something should only be desirable because it fulfills and interests you, not because everyone else wants it. Path is drastically different from what most people have in mind when entering med school and I find people either love or hate it. You have to enjoy the material. Lifestyle and money mean a lot but not everything.

If your school is local, you could reach out to faculty now to shadow. Good time to see what interests you and low stress. Do some digging in the pathology forum here too

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pathology is fine speciality.

I think most medical students prefer to help patients, and the typical pathologists don’t have much, if any, direct patient care.

Also histology and immunohistochemistry and being a lab manager are not generally popular topics with the typical medical student.

Reactions: 1 user
Something should only be desirable because it fulfills and interests you, not because everyone else wants it. Path is drastically different from what most people have in mind when entering med school and I find people either love or hate it. You have to enjoy the material. Lifestyle and money mean a lot but not everything.

If your school is local, you could reach out to faculty now to shadow. Good time to see what interests you and low stress. Do some digging in the pathology forum here too
Thanks for the insight. I meant that if there was something stearing people away from the field that’s something I’m interested in knowing.

Job market is currently excellent and pay is good, but that has not always been the case. Over the past 30 years or so, there were hospital mergers and practice issues that meant jobs were scarce, but since the pandemic, retirements have opened a lot of jobs. Downside to Pathology is that most jobs are employed, either by hospitals or reference labs, so you don’t have the autonomy that you would in private practice.
Lifestyle is good—you may work lomg days, but night/weekend call is minimal.
Good to know thank you!