Which specialties best for part-time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eklope2000

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In which specialties would it be possible to work very limited hours (like 2 full days per week) and make about 70,000 or more per year?

Members don't see this ad.

God damn you lazy mo fo. If I have to work myself into an early grave so that some lazy schmuck can get food stamps, you do too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Callogician said:
God damn you lazy mo fo. If I have to work myself into an early grave so that some lazy schmuck can get food stamps, you do too!

Thanks by the way, everything is delicious

eklope2000 said:
In which specialties would it be possible to work very limited hours (like 2 full days per week) and make about 70,000 or more per year?

Assuming predictions of a looming physician shortage are accurate, and given that insurance reimbursement policies are increasingly making medicine a volume business, you may find that fewer and fewer places are going to be amenable to part-time workers in the coming years. Current exceptions include derm, peds, ED (but with the caveat that part time in emergency medicine might all be at night)

If you want to work part time, don't go into medicine. Too many qualified/great people never get in. Don't be that guy/girl.

eklope2000 said:

Difficult to do on the surgical specialties that require someone to be on-call during the off hours, esp. ob/gyn, neurosurgery, etc. However, I do know a practicing neurosurgeon who does exactly that, so exceptions do rule.

It becomes much easier once you're established. You can make part time happen, but you have to take the initiative. Hey, it is much easier than in some fields (aka, law) where part time is essentially verboten.

Herman Bloom said:
If you want to work part time, don't go into medicine. Too many qualified/great people never get in. Don't be that guy/girl.

Some of us actually have this weird desire to raise our own children. Part-time can be a good compromise.

Best specialty for your criteria would be emergency medicine. You may be expected or required to do a night shift here and there but could make more money than you are aiming for with 16-24 hours weekly.

I disagree with whoever suggested peds, where the avg salary is somewhere around 120k for full time. It would be hard to make more than half that working less than 20% of full time. You may be able to do it as a hospitalist in IM or maybe peds but again expect nights/weekends.

Good luck

Actually, more doctors that work part-time = more need for doctors = more med schools opening (as we're already seeing) = more seats available for these great people

I don't think anyone should feel bad about working part-time. This just creates more demand for physicians and thus allows more people to have a dignified job (which are very hard to come by these days).

Too many doctors martyr themselves for their careers and are unhappy. There's a balance to be had. Specialties amendable to part-time work are more likely to allow a life outside medicine.

Emergency Medicine for several reasons:

1. Easy to work part time
2. Easy to change jobs
3. Variable practice setting. University Trauma to private non-trauma hospital to urgent care
4. Relatively high reimbursement
5. No call
6. No continuity of care
7. Depending on where you practice, the vast majority of your patients may be non-acute.
8. Lay-Person Prestige
9. Occasionally get to resuscitate a little kid or mother, etc (bad-ass-ness)

Last edited:
Actually, more doctors that work part-time = more need for doctors = more med schools opening (as we're already seeing) = more seats available for these great people

I don't think anyone should feel bad about working part-time. This just creates more demand for physicians and thus allows more people to have a dignified job (which are very hard to come by these days).

Delete

Too many doctors martyr themselves for their careers and are unhappy. There's a balance to be had. Specialties amendable to part-time work are more likely to allow a life outside medicine.

Emergency Medicine for several reasons:

1. Easy to work part time
2. Easy to change jobs
3. Variable practice setting. University Trauma to private non-trauma hospital to urgent care
4. Relatively high reimbursement
5. No call
6. No continuity of care
7. Depending on where you practice, the vast majority of your patients may be non-acute.
8. Lay-Person Prestige
9. Occasionally get to resuscitate a little kid or mother, etc (bad-ass-ness)

Its interesting that someone had to explain your first paragraph to the lad..:thumbup:

And, Id also say its not a crime to work part time... Geez

Why does nobody look at dates of threads?