Which Specialty Involves The Most Chemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SomeGirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that med school requires a lot of memorization and less conceptual understanding and critical thinking, at least compared to grad school. Is this true? And if so, then are there any specialties that involve a deep understanding of science, especially chemistry? I don't mean just memorizing, but truly understanding and appreciating it.

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone does the same thing in medical school. Residency is when your chosen specialty will determine your education. And I think all specialties require a deep understanding of science..as far as chem goes maybe anesthesia?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am inclined to say oncology, though all the oncologists I know are at Dana-Farber/Harvard med, so that may not actually be the case across the board.

Get your MD/PhD and go into drug design.

Reactions: 1 user
Bailing out to work in Pharm research.

If you want to learn a lot of drug names and interactions: Oncology. Or maybe you could become an Endocrinologist who studies the liver. The liver loves doing stuff to drugs.

If there's anything I've learned in school it is that there is no room in the professional world for "deep appreciation of science". That is completely up to you if you don't want a research career. People don't really need science savants, they need competent people who care.

Not quite Chemistry, but Radiation Oncology requires a knowledge/understanding of Physics. As others have mentioned, if you do an MD/PhD or make research a part of your career, there will be plenty of conceptual understanding and critical thinking.

The ability to assimilate and use information in new ways becomes important as you advance in the practice of medicine.
Complexity comes when you add the actual care of humans into the application of science.
A deep understanding of chemistry is not required. A working understanding will be useful, though.

Understanding and appreciating humans is the challenging aspect of medicine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Isn't there a subfield of path called "chemistry?" That might take the cake.

Medical students need to absorb huge amounts of information rapidly, BUT they also have to be able to apply.
I've heard that med school requires a lot of memorization and less conceptual understanding and critical thinking, at least compared to grad school. Is this true?

Nephrology!

And Rheumatology, Allergy and Immunology without the chemistry.
And if so, then are there any specialties that involve a deep understanding of science, especially chemistry?

Reactions: 1 user
Mineral metabolism--Bones, kidney stones, and other fun things.

I think internal medicine will tend to incorporate more chemistry knowledge, but not to the level you learn in your chemistry classes. I think most of it pertains to drug mechanisms.

I've heard that med school requires a lot of memorization and less conceptual understanding and critical thinking, at least compared to grad school. Is this true? And if so, then are there any specialties that involve a deep understanding of science, especially chemistry? I don't mean just memorizing, but truly understanding and appreciating it.
Clinical pathology (you can even take the clinical chemistry board exam). Clinical pharmacology is a close second. Nephrology third.