Which states accept ABFAS only

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenfootdoc

Reaction score
I've seen here on a few posts some users mention that their state does not accept credentialing at hospitals unless the doctor is ABFAS qualified/certified, anyone know which states those are? Tried to do some searching and couldn't find any. On the ABPM website there are practitioners listed for every state it seems.

Members don't see this ad.

Dictated by hospital system, not state.

Reactions: 5 users
Dictated by hospital system, not state.

In reality, it’s usually dictated by the DPM who is the department chair, residency director, etc. If the department chair is boarded by the ABFAS odds are that ABFAS will be the only board recognized for surgical privileges. There are always exceptions, but I would say this is the most common scenario.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In reality, it’s usually dictated by the DPM who is the department chair, residency director, etc. If the department chair is boarded by the ABFAS odds are that ABFAS will be the only board recognized for surgical privileges. There are always exceptions, but I would say this is the most common scenario.

This is why ABFAS is the greatest invention in podiatry history. Create your own board that is not regulated by the ABMS. Promote it. Get all your grandfathered attendings to get it entered into almost every state scope...making it "legitimate". The hospitals follow the state statutes even though they have no idea about the quality of board or how it certifies podiatrists.

ABFAS then charges astronomical fees for 4 tests. Has a high failure rate which pretty much shows that the entire podiatry medical school and residency training educational system is flawed. Especially if today's recently graduated podiatry medical students and residents can't pass it. The high failure rate leads to more money...and then there you have it. The greatest money making machine in the history of the profession.

Reactions: 11 users
This is why ABFAS is the greatest invention in podiatry history. Create your own board that is not regulated by the ABMS. Promote it. Get all your grandfathered attendings to get it entered into almost every state scope...making it "legitimate". The hospitals follow the state statutes even though they have no idea about the quality of board or how it certifies podiatrists.

ABFAS then charges astronomical fees for 4 tests. Has a high failure rate which pretty much shows that the entire podiatry medical school and residency training educational system is flawed. Especially if today's recently graduated podiatry medical students and residents can't pass it. The high failure rate leads to more money...and then there you have it. The greatest money making machine in the history of the profession.
Yes! Exactly this. All while the new pod who set up shop in town and would be competition, but now they aren’t board certified and can’t take their cases to that facility (granted most places will let board qualified pods do cases for a certain time period), thus limiting competition. And there used to be unlimited attempts to become certified but now only 7 years to pass or that’s it forever.
Great system!

Reactions: 2 users
Need to get rid of this profession. Whats funny is I was looking back at my older posts, way way more optimistic about this profession starting out. Then reality hit. Most podiatrists are terrible people. Stereotypes exist for a reason.

Reactions: 5 users
A lot of my pod friends both took the ABPM and ABFAS exam, it's the only 2 exams recognized by the CPME. I have a friend regretting taking this board, i.e. passing during residency but still cannot get enough elective numbers to be board certified. With the low pass rate, I would take both exams. With ABPM, you can get certified in 1 year and get on insurance plan. You cannot do so being board qualified with either of these boards. One of my attending finally got board certified during his 7th year and he trained under a previous ABFAS president. Also, he got certified with ABPM while collecting his cases. If this exam is required for your job, then take it. If you're in California, I hear the Radiology and Fluoroscopy exam is another money grab. My 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 user
It's completely hospital dependent which in turn is dictated by the DPM who heads the department. Large institutions and corporations tend to only accept ABFAS for a surgical pod but will accept ABPM for non surgical pods. Both boards now require you pass within a certain time frame after residency. If not, you can never sit for them again. ABPM is easy peasy, ABFAS is a complete circus, so I would sit for both if you can just in case.
I have a friend who thought they could get ABFAS no problem, did not take the ABPM at all and did not attempt ABFAS until the 6th year out of residency. They failed once already. Turns out its not so easy and now they only have 1 chance left to pass ABFAS AND can no longer sit for ABPM. If they don't pass ABFAS this next round, they're SOL.

Last edited:

I remember discussing some questions with the foot & ankle orthopod we trained with at my residency program after the exam. His general response to a few of the questions we were stumped on was "What the ****? This is harder than our boards"

It's completely hospital dependent which in turn is dictated by the DPM who heads the department. Large institutions and corporations tend to only accept ABFAS for a surgical pod but will accept ABPM for non surgical pods. Both boards now require you pass within a certain time frame after residency. If not, you can never sit for them again. ABPM is easy peasy, ABFAS is a complete circus, so I would sit for both if you can just in case.
I have a friend who thought they could get ABFAS no problem, did not take the ABPM at all and did not attempt ABFAS until the 6th year out of residency. They failed once already. Turns out its not so easy and now they only have 1 chance left to pass ABFAS AND can no longer sit for ABPM. If they don't pass ABFAS this next round, they're SOL.

For ABPM, page 15

For ABFAS, page 14

So ABPM had to cancel their May exam and it seems from their website if you take the exam in October you can knock the whole thing out in 1 go. I'm sort of tempted to do it. One of my hospitals gives nearly full privileges other than ankle with ABPM. I think the whole thing is bullcrap but its a form of insurance against future ABFAS garbage behavior. The other funny thing - if I just say screw it - I'm giving up on the ankle. I could literally skip all the ABFAS case logs and what not. No reviewing. No taking petty bullcrap. No retesting over and over.

I'm not claiming these are great decisions. Obviously there's a ton that could go wrong with it. But there's something hilarious about the whole thing.

So ABPM had to cancel their May exam and it seems from their website if you take the exam in October you can knock the whole thing out in 1 go. I'm sort of tempted to do it. One of my hospitals gives nearly full privileges other than ankle with ABPM. I think the whole thing is bullcrap but its a form of insurance against future ABFAS garbage behavior. The other funny thing - if I just say screw it - I'm giving up on the ankle. I could literally skip all the ABFAS case logs and what not. No reviewing. No taking petty bullcrap. No retesting over and over.

I'm not claiming these are great decisions. Obviously there's a ton that could go wrong with it. But there's something hilarious about the whole thing.

Same boat, ABFAS qualified in everything, but my hospital doesn't differentiate boards so I will be definitely taking that ABPM October exam in one shot and be certified (ABPM confirmed that is the case). What is another 2 grand...

Same boat, ABFAS qualified in everything, but my hospital doesn't differentiate boards so I will be definitely taking that ABPM October exam in one shot and be certified (ABPM confirmed that is the case). What is another 2 grand...

Screw it guys. I’m taking it too. Let’s get board certified

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

So ABPM had to cancel their May exam and it seems from their website if you take the exam in October you can knock the whole thing out in 1 go. I'm sort of tempted to do it.

I’m taking it. I still don’t have diversity for ABFAS rearfoot so I can’t get that for another year now anyways. I don’t want to have to get images and notes and crap from previous employers, so I’d like to limit the chances of having to do that as much as possible before sitting for even the foot exam/case review.

So yeah, I’m gonna take and pass ABPM, and figure out if I need ABFAS at all. If I do, I’ll submit when I can have a high chance of everything they pick coming from the current job...and stop paying for ABPM once I pass ABFAS. Or maybe I should say “if” I pass ABFAS.

Interesting, which state is this?

Just checked the ABPM site, cause I was tempted to do this as well (even though I already have ABFAS)--I guess I don't qualify to take the exam though, since I completed residency in 2012...

✔ Candidates who completed 36 months of CPME-approved residency training prior to 2015 are eligible ony if the exam process has been attempted between 2012 and 2019. Candidates who are currently in the pipeline may continue the certification process through 2023, but must apply and pass both parts 1 and 2 in the same examination year.

Just checked the ABPM site, cause I was tempted to do this as well (even though I already have ABFAS)--I guess I don't qualify to take the exam though, since I completed residency in 2012...

✔ Candidates who completed 36 months of CPME-approved residency training prior to 2015 are eligible ony if the exam process has been attempted between 2012 and 2019. Candidates who are currently in the pipeline may continue the certification process through 2023, but must apply and pass both parts 1 and 2 in the same examination year.

Check back with Board HQ about this. We’re changing this eligibility requirement to go back to 2012 (8 years) and giving an extra year because of COVID. I don’t know all your circumstances, but you might be able to sit in 2021.

Reactions: 1 users
Check back with Board HQ about this. We’re changing this eligibility requirement to go back to 2012 (8 years) and giving an extra year because of COVID. I don’t know all your circumstances, but you might be able to sit in 2021.

Cool, thanks for the update! I'll take a look.

Cool, thanks for the update! I'll take a look.

Also, the reason why we had to combine the exams into one is to reduce the seat time in the computerized testing centers since they've established social distancing guidelines and have fewer seats available. While not decided yet, I don't see the pandemic easing and that changing in 2021.