Which states dont require postdoc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Random Person

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that APA is trying to get rid of this and that they have been successful in some states such as AZ; What other states do not require postdoc for licensure?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

No answers, but Im also curious about this...

Ohio just changed their requirements for licensure so that you can get licensed without post-internship supervised hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe Maryland, per a recent change.

ya I did a Google search and couldn't find a single source or list for this answer...curious though...

The ones I have heard are MD and AL

I know that APA is trying to get rid of this and that they have been successful in some states such as AZ; What other states do not require postdoc for licensure?

Thanks

I just heard a rumor that this is also true in Indiana (also due to a recent change).

I just heard a rumor that this is also true in Indiana (also due to a recent change).

I think your ability to eliminate the post-doc depends on the number of predoctoral hours you accrue.

A careful search through the ASPPB (licensing organization) requirements for supervised experience requirements says these states do not require post-doc hours for licensure:

http://www.asppb.org/HandbookPublic/Reports/default.aspx?ReportType=SupervisedExperience

Alabama
Arizona
Indiana
North Dakota
Ohio
(Puerto Rico)
Utah
Washington State

HOWEVER, please remember that you may not stay in the same state forever! Right now there is a big problem with people trying to move jurisdictions. If you are, say, licensed in Washington without postdoc hours, then move to San Francisco, you won't be eligible for licensure because you don't have the hours. So, it makes a lot of sense to also try to get some supervised experience just in case you move to a different state.

Thanks

Why would the APA try and get rid of this????

APA is making the point that the number of internship plus practicum hours should be considered sufficient and comparable to how it is done in MD/OD training. It remains very controversial. They are trying to get their Model Licensing Act adopted by all states so that it is consistent. However they are also trying to require that all training sites be APA accredited and the expense of that is an obstacle for many training settings.

Once you are licensed, states with post-doc requirements may accept licenses without pre-doc requirements...but they could require documentation of a comparable number of total pre-doc hours so don't lose track of your practicum records and AAPI stats. Generally, it becomes easier to move from state to state once you are licensed but the system is still very cumbersome and we owe students a much cleaner and less expensive means of national credentialing. Maybe if we ever get to single-payer national health care this will get more streamlined. Until then, keep track of your records, including who supervised your work and their licensure status.

A careful search through the ASPPB (licensing organization) requirements for supervised experience requirements says these states do not require post-doc hours for licensure:

http://www.asppb.org/HandbookPublic/Reports/default.aspx?ReportType=SupervisedExperience

Alabama
Arizona
Indiana
North Dakota
Ohio
(Puerto Rico)
Utah
Washington State

HOWEVER, please remember that you may not stay in the same state forever! Right now there is a big problem with people trying to move jurisdictions. If you are, say, licensed in Washington without postdoc hours, then move to San Francisco, you won't be eligible for licensure because you don't have the hours. So, it makes a lot of sense to also try to get some supervised experience just in case you move to a different state.

Look at the progress notes from CPA

http://www.cpapsych.org/associations/6414/files/files/publications/progressnotes/2010/pn-v09n11.pdf

"If an applicant for licensure as a psychologist has been licensed in another state, Canadian province, or U.S.
territory for at least five years and the license has not been subject to discipline, the applicant shall be required
to meet all current licensing requirements, pay all currently applicable fees, and take and pass the
CPSE."

It can also be useful to complete the Certification of Professional Qualifications (CPQ) from ASPPB or become certified through National Registry of Health Service Providers in Psychology (NRHSPP) because in many states they facilitate licensure in the new state. These each require some paperwork and money but can definitely streamline the mobility of licensure if you expect to be moving about. Do them when you are on internship and you get some pricebreak plus you then have all your credentials "banked" in one place and don't have to hunt up supervisors, etc. later in your career, when they may have moved on or been abducted by aliens.

i havent read through the rest, but i know that Alabama is a state where you can be licensed right out of school.