which step 3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AbuJadenDO

Soon2beOB
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as an osteopathic student who has taken both step 1 and 2 of both COMLEX AND USMLE...what determines which step 3 i will take? is it based on whether i'm a DO/MD or whether the program is ACGME/AOA???

Members don't see this ad.

So as an osteopathic student who has taken both step 1 and 2 of both COMLEX AND USMLE...what determines which step 3 i will take? is it based on whether i'm a DO/MD or whether the program is ACGME/AOA???

Whichever one you want (or both). You must have passed both the written and Clinical Skills portion of the USMLE Step 2 in order to take USMLE Step 3.

The COMLEX Step 3 will get you licensure in all 50 states. In certain states that have separate osteopathic licensing boards from their allopathic medical boards, you might be at a disadvantage (to say the least) with only USMLE Step 3. Note that it is not just the infamous "5 states" that have separate boards.

Whichever one you want (or both). You must have passed both the written and Clinical Skills portion of the USMLE Step 2 in order to take USMLE Step 3.

The COMLEX Step 3 will get you licensure in all 50 states. In certain states that have separate osteopathic licensing boards from their allopathic medical boards, you might be at a disadvantage (to say the least) with only USMLE Step 3. Note that it is not just the infamous "5 states" that have separate boards.

So why wouldnt everyone just take comlex 3?

So why wouldnt everyone just take comlex 3?

That's how I felt by the Step 3 time. I took the both COMLEX and USMLE Steps 1 & 2 written (and COMLEX 2-practical). Having matched into an allo residency, I decided not to take the USMLE 2-CS, since I didn't see the advantage of spending any more money on the USMLEs

Maybe some DOs might think it advantageous to have USMLE 3 if they're applying for allopathic fellowships. But IMHO if you're doing an allo residency, the in-training exams for your specialty would be the most important standardized frame of reference on fellowship apps.