Which study materials did you find the MOST helpful for taking the actual DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burton117

The Big Kahuna
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Ultimate Post-DAT Poll!

What type of study materials did you find MOST helpful for taking the actual DAT and which do you recommend?

This is a multiple options poll: Please choose one option or several options which were most helpful.

If anybody used any really helpful materials that aren't listed here - please feel free to add them!

Note: This poll implies that you have already taken the DAT and know what you are talking about. If you haven't taken the DAT yet, please refrain from voting until you have taken the DAT and can contribute to this poll!

Also, if the "other" option is chosen.. please post what the DAT study material is!!!

Thanks!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard the reading and the maths sections have been revised to better reflect the difficult part of the DAT.

I haven't tried the QR yet, but would say that the reading tests on the new achiever are truly well written. These are the things that would really prepare you for the worst part of the RC like someone else mentioned on the SDN not too long ago.:thumbup:

If the extended timer were ever granted, it would have to be 1.5 times longer.

I'm glad to learn that the ADA is willing to accommodate learning disability with extra time for the DAT. But, will the same thing be considered and granted at the dental schools?

I hope someone can create a new poll like this. It is been three and half years since the first post!!!

I have not seen a poll as huge as this on the DAT forum, but agree that someone should create something like this anew.

I'm glad to learn that the ADA is willing to accommodate learning disability with extra time for the DAT. But, will the same thing be considered and granted at the dental schools?

I highly doubt so. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I haven't tried the QR yet, but would say that the reading tests on the new achiever are truly well written. These are the things that would really prepare you for the worst part of the RC like someone else mentioned on the SDN not too long ago.:thumbup:

I have been told that some of the passages and questions on the new achiever's reading are very dead on the real thing.

I highly doubt so. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

So what's the point of accommodating learning disabilities for the DAT when the dental schools would not consider these in their programs. You think these students are going to survive the four years of harsh training?:confused:

Because it would just not be feasible for anyone taking the test for a straight 9 hours with only a 30 minute break in between, if the timer were to be extended twice as long.

Having the timer extended twice as long was what I used to be hearing about a few years back. I guess the rule has since changed to have the DAT better administered at the testing center.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, what's the matter of having the timer extended twice as long? To me, it's another 9-5 job sitting and working with the computer like anyone would experience at the office.

Actually, what's the matter of having the timer extended twice as long? To me, it's another 9-5 job sitting and working with the computer like anyone would experience at the office.

Not a matter for many of us here. In fact, I would start laughing at the screen that the questions are going to be nailed one after another ... But, let's not forget that this special accommodation is meant for students with learning disabilities. Especially for those with ADHD, it would be a pain sitting there twice as long. Just my opinion.

So what's the point of accommodating learning disabilities for the DAT when the dental schools would not consider these in their programs. You think these students are going to survive the four years of harsh training?:confused:

I agree, giving students with learning disorders 50% more time on the DAT will be detrimental to them in the long run. How are they going to survive dental school, none the less the boards. This time extension will need to be expanded to EVERY test after the DAT, and what happens after you receive your license? It's just a slippery slope that is doomed to lead to failure and a lot of malpractice suits.

It's an excuse annoying people who were raised with poor parenting use so they can get a subscription for baby-cocaine.

Haha, I think every little boy on the planet could be diagnosed as ADHD by today's standards! There are however some with legitimate attention deficit issues...

22AA 23TS 24 Bio 23GC 22OC 24RC 19PAT 19QR

Everyone says the PAT is way harder than the KAPLAN PAT but i didnt think it was any harder. My score did come out lower (19) vs 20-22 on Kaplan but i feel that was due more to the grading than the actual difficulty.

Honestly, I found the material on the PAT to be easy and this was quite refreshing considering the anxiety I had for this section. DAT achiever was much much much more difficult but it was definately a good thing to have studied off.

For every other section, Kaplan was very helpful (including the QR). The QR on the real DAT is NOT much easier than the QR from Kaplan so expect the same relative difficulty of problems. You will have a little less number crunching but overall it felt the same. I was hoping to do better here but I got nervous and started skipping ALL word problems and answering the easy algerbra/arithmetic problems. I did have time to come back and finish all problems but I must have made some careless mistakes in my frantic pace.

The bio section was ridiculously easy for me, but Its always been my strong point and i realize I may have received some of the easier questions. Again, Kaplan was my most valuable asset for this section. I did read Schaum's but im not so sure it helped me out on anything in particular. When you are taking the DAt you have this feeling of utter familiarity. The whole test reminded me of a Kaplan practice test. I think alot of the questions were exactly the same from Kaplan (worded a little different but easily recognizable).

OC and GC- super easy. Kaplan is awesome for this. I would say that Kaplan goes as far as over preparing you for this section. I know of a couple careless mistakes i made so you want to focus on reading the question carefully and thinking about any tricks to the problem. For E1/SN1 always....and i mean always look for carbocation rearrangements.

Reading Comprehension: Ive been reading the economist (magazine) for about a year now since I really do enjoy politics and economy so my RC is probably pretty decent. On the test I DID read the passage and I would be lost if I skimmed the passage. This is my advice passed on from a friend: Skip the first part of the RC that lets you read the whole passage before seeing any of the questions. Once you click next past this stage...you will have a window that shows the passage on the top half and 1 question at a time on the lower half of the screen. Read the first question. If the first question is a theme/format/style/inference question regarding the whole passage, guess and mark it for later (usually this is not the case for the first question). So now read the question carefully and begin to read the passage until you arrive at the answer for this question. Answer the question....read the new question. Sometimes you will find the new question was covered in something you already read and you can answer this by looking at the specific section. Otherwise proceed and read untill you come to this answer. Continue like this until you come to the end. Youll find that you remember the questions you skipped and when the answer pops into your head you can just go back and answer them real quick.I finished the whole RC section with 12 minutes to spare. All in all, I only practiced RC on the 4 full length Kaplan practice tests. No individual attention was focused here.

The day of the DAT i bought these foam ear plugs. When i took my test i used these ear plugs (33 db noise reduction) and I wore the sound reducing head phones they give u at the center. WIth both of these, I was in a state of silent bliss. I know from my experience at KAPLAN, that hearing other people type...even faintly...drives me crazy and distracts my attention. This worked out very well.

GL, feel free to PM with any questions. The DAT is not very hard. If i could go back and know exactly how to prepare...I think 2 months of correctly concentrated effor would be enough. I spent around 3 but I was also in school for 2 of the months.

So what did you use as practice material to prep for your science sections? What resources did you use for chem? Does KAPLAN have some practice books other than the blue book?

I thoroughly enjoyed the Destroyer, although some may call it overkill I tend to disagree, the book goes above and beyond and really prepares you for the test. I also liked watching Chad's videos from coursesaver.

So what did you use as practice material to prep for your science sections? What resources did you use for chem? Does KAPLAN have some practice books other than the blue book?
This thread is around 5 years old. If you want more relevant information just look at the hundreds of breakdowns people have been posting practically everyday. But to answer your question, yes if Kaplan does have a blue book and a white book. The question has also been asked many times before on this website so look up the difference yourself pls. People don't really like Kaplan here in general btw. I have actually read Kaplan for bio and it is sub-par imo.

Can we just lock this thread pls? lol

Awesome! Congratulations, dude! I am glad to hear that DAT Achiever worked out so well for you as well as your hard work paying off with the result of your sweet scores!

Congratulations again and best of luck in your application cycle! :D

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Would you be willing to tutor??

Isn't this thread super old like 5 years. Who brought this back up lol? Checkout glimmers DAT breakdown thread.