Which text to get?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glp1del

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A quick question. I found out today the my prelim program is willing to buy me a textbook as a thank you gift for this year. I believe my program gives us Barish, so I was wondering what other text should I ask for? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Glp1

Members don't see this ad.

It won't be fun sludging through that without any prior gas experience. I've been told to get through Lange Clinical Anesthesiology...so that's what I'll do.

Using Faust as quick reference for my dumb ass.

a friend of mine recommended baby miller.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might as well get your money's worth: Anesthesia and Co-existing Disease

Originally posted by Pinky
a friend of mine recommended baby miller.

I have to warn you though, I had to read some of baby Miller for my 2 wk anesthesia rotation, and it's a pretty boring read (and a lot of my classmates agree!)

A lot of the residents at my program use Clincial Anesthesia (lange series) and Anesthesia secrets (for easy reading and quick pimping types of questions)

I already bought the Clinical Anesthesiology book (Lange series) and plan on hoping paging through it during my prelim year.

Moreover, recently I've been given a book allowance to purchase a textbook. I really wanted a really good text to kinda have on my 'shelf'. I was initially thinking Miller. However, I had the tragedy of meeting one of the co author's of this text who turned out to be a A$$hole and have completely decided to avoid buying this book. LoL...i know i know...but hey I really dont want to line his pockets (or ego) any more than it already has been. plus on an anesthesia rotation of mine, I've tried to read a chapter in Miller and LITERALLY FELL ASLEEP every single time!!

So...I guess I'm left with Barash? Havent heard much about this book. there's no reviews on Amazone.So is it any good? WOuld it be a sufficient, equivalent 'reference' book?

Thanks!

baby miller.....hmmm since it's written by the 'miller' group....i hate to help support it!

so basically you all are saying that Barash is not good???

like i said earlier, i do have that Lange Clinical Anes (by M&M).

i will definitely pick up that ICU book.

anyone else?

My program buys us Lange. I want to have something to do some pre-reading that nicely complements Lange (once I get it), and is good enough to get me ready for my inservice (before I get Lange). BTW, I'm starting my CA1 in July

VentdependenT said:
baby miller with some faust

the icu book

you'll be in good shape

Venty, I second that.

Those were the books I read when I was a resident.

You're walking point on tonight's mission.

jetproppilot said:
Venty, I second that.

Those were the books I read when I was a resident.

You're walking point on tonight's mission.

I was told that Baby Miller has everything you need to pass the in-service your first time. Any thruth to that? If so, then why doesn't everyone pass the in-service in their CA-1 year? It's a 300ish page book that isn't really too boring and is very similar to Anesthesia Secrets, just not in the Q&A format.

BubbleHead said:
I was told that Baby Miller has everything you need to pass the in-service your first time. Any thruth to that? If so, then why doesn't everyone pass the in-service in their CA-1 year? It's a 300ish page book that isn't really too boring and is very similar to Anesthesia Secrets, just not in the Q&A format.

Anyone know if there's a new edition of Baby Miller coming out soon? Last printing was 2001, seems like there should be a new one soon, and I'd hate to buy it just to have a new edition come out.

Barash gave us (residents) a copy of his new book. It's good for detail but you can't just sit down and cruise through it. Lange or baby miller might be a good start.