Which textbook to buy with academic allowance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starbuckscoffee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My prelim program gives us an academic allowance to purchase textbooks. I'm planning to use this to buy a derm book or two since I definitely don't need any medicine texts.

Which derm texts would be most useful for residency, in your opinion?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

i'd buy andrews. it's a good combination of thorough and high-yield. fitzpatrick is overwhelmingly comprehensive and i haven't found it much use for studying. bolognia is supposed to be good too, but i don't have it. for path, rapini's practial dermatopathology is a good one. for genodermatoses, spitz is great to have. hope this helps. :luck:

Get Bolognia. It is by far the best Derm textbook available. I have Fitzpatrick and Andrews as well but dislike both. Fitzpatrick is too detailed about stuff that doesn't matter. Andrews is extremely high yield...for 3rd years who have already learned everything and need a quick refresher. I tried to read Andrews early on in residency and it was like beating my head against the wall...just a bunch of high yield facts listed in a non-memorable way.

Bolognia is best IMO bc it allows you to understand the disease processes without going into too much unnecessary detail (vs Fitz). It also has great clinical photos (better than Fitz and Andrews).