Which TPR book should I purchase?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MsMedSchool

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to this website and have been inspired and deeply touched by some of the posts. I have a quick question: I am trying to purchase a TPR book, however, does anyone know which one is better? For instance, should I get the TPR Hyperlearning?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am new to this website and have been inspired and deeply touched by some of the posts. I have a quick question: I am trying to purchase a TPR book, however, does anyone know which one is better? For instance, should I get the TPR Hyperlearning?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much

The most sought after TPR books are the ones that come with the class. You should check the classifieds for the following:
Hyperlearning Biological Sciences
Science Workbook
Verbal Workbook

hope that helps

Definitely get both of TPR Hyperlearning Workbooks if you see them for sale.

Biology:
1. EK Bio + EK 1001 Bio, non-detail oriented 1. BR/TPR Hyperlearning, detail oriented 3. Kaplan

Physics
: 1. BR 2. Nova 3. TPR Hyperlearning 4. Kaplan

Verbal: 1. EK Verbal + EK 101 Verbal 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. BR 4. Kaplan (Avoid if possible)

Organic Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

General Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

Extra Practice Material: 1. TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook + TPR Hyperlearing Science Workbook, good source of practice passages 2. EK 1001 series, helps nail down basics

Members don't see this ad :)

Biology:
1. EK Bio + EK 1001 Bio, non-detail oriented 1. BR/TPR Hyperlearning, detail oriented 3. Kaplan

Physics

Verbal: 1. EK Verbal + EK 101 Verbal 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. BR 4. Kaplan (Avoid if possible)

Extra Practice Material: 1. TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook + TPR Hyperlearing Science Workbook, good source of practice passages 2. EK 1001 series, helps nail down basics

Hey SN2ed.

Do you think TBR > TPR in terms of detail oriented bio review? Thanks.

Biology:

Physics

Hey, for your physics ranking, what was your thought process there? Why is TPRH so low in the rankings v.s. the others?

Hey SN2ed.

I think TPRH has better content review, but it doesn't have any practice material on its own. BR has pretty good content review and tons of practice passages. The reason why I would go with BR is due to the practice passages because taking tons of timed practice passages is the key to MCAT success.

Hey, for your physics ranking, what was your thought process there? Why is TPRH so low in the rankings v.s. the others?

Wasn't this answered in several threads by other people? BR has slightly better content review than all the other books. The sole weakness in terms of content review is electrostatics and magnetism which they are updating in the next batch of books. It may have already been updated, I don't know for sure. While BR is close in terms of content, it completely beats TPRH for practice passages. Whereas TPRH Science Workbook offers about 2 passages per chapter, BR has 10. Simply put, they offer more and better practice, along with better content review.

Last edited:
Hey SN2ed.

no. not even close. TPR >>> TBR. very few people have tried to use TBR bio for content review...if I'm not mistaken, I don't think SN2ed ever used the TBR books either. I tried it and was pretty disappointed. TPR is much, much better.

The plus is that TBR comes with practice passages which I never got around to working (I did do the ones from the TPR science workbook though). Those passages might have been helpful if I had more time. If you have lots of time, I'd recommend using TPR for the content review, and then doing both the science workbook and the passages from TBR.

I agree that the content review is better in TPRH. What brings BR up is its practice passages which are pretty close to the real deal. If one has the money, doing what you suggest (TPRH for content review and TPRH SW + BR for passages) would be ideal. That said, I don't think the content review is really bad, it's just not up to TPRH.

Something for everyone to keep in mind is that the book review list is based on the general consensus. Some people will prefer different books.

I agree that the content review is better in TPRH. What brings BR up is its practice passages which are pretty close to the real deal. If one has the money, doing what you suggest (TPRH for content review and TPRH SW + BR for passages) would be ideal. That said, I don't think the content review is really bad, it's just not up to TPRH.

Something for everyone to keep in mind is that the book review list is based on the general consensus. Some people will prefer different books.

I don't know if its a good idea to buy TPRH bio to do content review and buy TBR (which is like $60 + $16 shipment) just to do practice because at the moment I already have EK Bio, EK 1001 Bio, and TPRH science workbook.

My plan is to review TPRH or TBR bio and then use EK bio book "as a summary". Then I want to use EK 1001 bio and TPRH science workbook followed by FL's.

SN2ed, what would you do in this situation?

Thanks.

I wouldn't go through two sources for bio review unless you only read the books once. For instance, read the TPRH early in the week and then read EK for the second go through at the end of the week. Even then, I think it's better to just go through TPRH twice. Anyway, in your case I'd definitely go with TPRH Bio over BR Bio. While BR has better passages, you'll still get some solid practice with EK 1001 Bio and TPRH SW.