Which type of protein receptor is found on the cell membrane of a postganglionic neuron?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arc5005

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which type of protein receptor is found on the cell membrane of a postganglionic neuron?

A. Nicotinic
B. Muscarinic
C. Alpha adrenergic
D. Beta adrenergic

A) Nicotinic

Okay, I'm confused by this one.

I thought:
Somatic NS: Nicotinic receptors
Postganglionic neurons of the PNS: cholinergic/muscarinic
Postganglionic neurons of the SNS: cholinergic muscarinic or alpha/beta adrenergic

what am I missing?

Members don't see this ad.

When cells communicate with each other, the sender cells release ligands that bind to the receptors of recipient/target cells. Receptors are the targets of the ligands.

In this case, the postganglionic neuron receptors receive signals released from preganglionic neurons. Since preganglionic neurons release acetylcholine as their ligand, the postganglionic neuron receptors are nicotinic.

Now because many sympathetic postganglionic neurons release epinephrine/norepinephrine as their ligands, their target organ receptors are adrenergic. Likewise since parasympathetic postganglionic neurons release acetylcholine as their ligand, their target organ receptors are muscarinic. For somatic neurons, they also release acetylcholine as their ligands, but here their target organ receptors are nicotinic.

Remember that ligands are signals released and receptors are targets of the signal. Also take a look at the follow diagrams to help visualize the processes:

main-qimg-35633e26f3a43b68610dafc2f1a04716-c

b3f2683662ebad5ae8829f5f0304bfcd.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Oh wow. Stupid mistake. I definitely thought they were talking about postganglionic neurons and not the receptors on postganglionic neurons. Thank you. I appreciate it.

When cells communicate with each other, the sender cells release ligands that bind to the receptors of recipient/target cells. Receptors are the targets of the ligands.

In this case, the postganglionic neuron receptors receive signals released from preganglionic neurons. Since preganglionic neurons release acetylcholine as their ligand, the postganglionic neuron receptors are nicotinic.

Now because many sympathetic postganglionic neurons release epinephrine/norepinephrine as their ligands, their target organ receptors are adrenergic. Likewise since parasympathetic postganglionic neurons release acetylcholine as their ligand, their target organ receptors are muscarinic. For somatic neurons, they also release acetylcholine as their ligands, but here their target organ receptors are nicotinic.

Remember that ligands are signals released and receptors are targets of the signal. Also take a look at the follow diagrams to help visualize the processes:

main-qimg-35633e26f3a43b68610dafc2f1a04716-c

b3f2683662ebad5ae8829f5f0304bfcd.gif