Which type of undergrad research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tony1853

Career Switcher!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am now 85% sure that I will finish my bio BS and apply to medical schools, opposed to going the PA route (my original plan). My wife and I are still hashing out the whole thing...(i am non-trad)

Anyway, when I return to school this summer, I want to look for research opportunities. When I was last attending ('96-'98) I had a great undergrad advisor who focuses on seabird ecology. We had a great relationship, and if he has some room for me, I would love to work on some research with him - even though it would be ecology.

Do you guys think I should look for bio or chem research instead of ecology research? Would it be of greater value on med school apps?

Members don't see this ad.

tony1853 said:
I am now 85% sure that I will finish my bio BS and apply to medical schools, opposed to going the PA route (my original plan). My wife and I are still hashing out the whole thing...(i am non-trad)

Anyway, when I return to school this summer, I want to look for research opportunities. When I was last attending ('96-'98) I had a great undergrad advisor who focuses on seabird ecology. We had a great relationship, and if he has some room for me, I would love to work on some research with him - even though it would be ecology.

Do you guys think I should look for bio or chem research instead of ecology research? Would it be of greater value on med school apps?

I think it would be more valuable for you to do research that you're interested in (and with an advisor who can give you a great letter of rec!) than do another kind of research because you think it's what you're supposed to do.
Most med schools stress that while the majority of applicants major in bio, they encourage students to major in their area of interest-- I'd think that philosophy would carry over into research, too. Good luck!