which undergrad classes helped you the most?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Anhedonia

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
which classes would you dental students recommend based on what you were exposed to in Dental School?

perhaps:
Immunology
Histology
Anatomy/Physiology
Microbiology

i've heard a Dental school professor say "i can tell which students haven't taken micro when i do my grades at the end of the semester" (though i don't recall which course he teaches).

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anatomy. I definitely wish I had taken micro, somehow I got an A in dental school micro even though I hardly had a clue what was going on. It was a mighty struggle.

Psychology and linguistics.

Physiology, with biochem runner-up. Undergrad anatomy wasn't detailed enough to be useful in dental school.
Yeah, pretty much what I was gonna post.

I didn't take micro in undergrad and still managed to get an A. It just requires a lot of memorization. You're going to be tested on one thing for every 20 you memorize haha.

Our immuno course was part of our path course and I didn't think it was terribly hard. Perhaps it would have been worse if it was its own course.

1. Anatomy
2. Biochem
3. Sculpturing (help with waxing maybe)

If you can go abroad and complete a full BDS curriculum prior to starting a DMD/DDS program in the states this would be ideal.

what's so hard about biochemistry? isn't it all memorization of pathways and what not? can you guys specifically say what you're learning? i'm a biochem major btw :D

Biochem is difficult due to the large amount of useless memorization needed. Some of the information is useful in Pharm or Physio but otherwise largely useless as taught. If biochem is easy for you then use your off hours to boost your pre-clinic skills.

See, my problem with biochem and anatomy is that the concepts are hard enough but then you need to understand all that within the whole new language they're taught in. Superior, caudal, origin, insertion... or what's the difference between a kinase and a carboxylase??? Anything you take in undergrad you'll forget enough of by the time you get to d-school but a background will make it easier to re-learn.

Histo and anatomy. Biochem too I guess, but I took it a while back and erased it from my mind.

I'm registering for classes at local JC these days. I'm thinking if microbiology lab is really that essential?? I thought labs in dental schools are mostly about making dentures in sim labs. Is there micro labs like the stains, aspectic technique, etc. involved in dental schools? Thanks for your input!

I'm registering for classes at local JC these days. I'm thinking if microbiology lab is really that essential?? I thought labs in dental schools are mostly about making dentures in sim labs. Is there micro labs like the stains, aspectic technique, etc. involved in dental schools? Thanks for your input!

I don't think the techniques that you'll learn in lab are essential...I didn't plate anything after undergrad...however the information that you'll learn in microbiology lecture is very applicable to dental diseases. You are correct in assuming that the labs in dental school are focused more on the dental aspects (crown preps, cavity preps, denture setups, etc...)