Which UnSubsidized?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liynus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to decide between lenders for the Stafford Loans.

Which is the best lender in your experience:

Citibank - 2.0% interest rate reduction after first 48 months. %0.25 int red for automatic deducters, 2.0% prinicipal reduction in repayment for Stafford Loan borrowers

Access Group - 0.25% interest rate reduc for auto payment, 2% interest rate red after 48 consecutive on time payments

Bank One/Med Loans - Cash Back Plan. 3.5% cash back after first 33 monthly payments. 4.5% credit after making 33 scheduled payments.

MedPreferred - 4% int rate reduc on Stafford after first 7 payments. 0.25% int rate reduc for Stafford and PLUS for automatic withdrawal.

T.H.E. Loans - No Fees. Monthly payment to account = to annualized 1.3% reduction

(and which one is Nelnet???)

Thanks for the answers:

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't heard about Now Loan. These lenders were the only ones given to me by SUNY Downstate to use as a Stafford loan lender. Is Now Loan that much better? And if I can't choose that, do u know which of the above would be the best to choose?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nelnet is who buys up your stafford loans once you finish school. Atleast they're the one the man sold my undergraduate loans to.

i picked AAMC medloans becuase even though they have an origination fee, their repayment incentive was the best even with the fee included.
thats what really makes all these different.
lender 1 has a 3% origination fee, but 3.5% back after X # payments and 4.5% back for something else...
lender 2 has 0% origination fee, but only 2.5% back after X # payments...

i think 1 comes out better in the long run. but thats just my opinion.

Wow, I never even thought of the origination fee. OK, I'm going to try and investigate all the lender's origination fees and post them back up. But if that doesn't work, it's MedLoans for me! Thanks guys. The board is wonderful.

btw, Looking at Nowloans, it seems like it's for OsteoMed people? It doesn't say anything about giving Allos a break. :(