which would you choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dumpys

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
University of Washington + Friends + Family

or

Vanderbilt

?

torn...

Members don't see this ad.

It depends upon what's most important to you; having a built-in support system (while still attending a phenomenal school) or going to the #1 program. Of course, living in another part of the country for several years has its advantages, too.

I would, personally, go with the friends and family + great school, but that's just me.

I have the same problem too! For you, UW is a great school too though so either one will be a good decision.

I would love to have my family and friends around, especially since we're always planning stuff ahead of time. I'll be really sad if I choose to leave my friends :( I also thought about how great Vanderbilt is and that maybe going far away will help keep me focused on doing well in school. It's only three years and it might be a fun experience! It's going to be a tough call! I'm still waiting to hear from the rest of my schools so I'll probably decide in the next 2 weeks. I want to make my decision much earlier than the deadline.

Good luck! Maybe we'll end up at the same school :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Given the high-caliber of the schools being discussed, most characteristics are a wash. However, cost needs to be considered. Think of it this way. Will an AuD from WashU be much less marketable than an AuD from Vanderbilt? No. Therefore, if the financial aid packages and estimated debtload are significantly different, go with the cheaper school. I would love to be near friends and family as well, but not if it costs me an extra 90k! This is one of those practical things that people tend to forget about!

I would definitely pick University of Washington because of both cost and social ties. I would not underestimate the quality of the program at Washington. There are some big names there just like Vanderbilt (e.g., Pamela Souza, Patricia Kuhl, Kelly Trembley). This is not even including some of the faculty in the med school (e.g., Patrick Feeney). This program would provide good opportunity for student research and I'm sure clinical practica would not be a problem. Good luck!

University of Washington + Friends + Family

or

Vanderbilt

?

torn...

Washington. Big names don't impress me. As far as family goes, noone is getting any younger. It all comes down to priorities.

All of this, of course, is assuming that Washington's finaid package is significantly better than Vandy's. If it is a toss up, important questions need to be answered. While big names may not impress some people here, the education you receive at Vandy is quite impressive to employers. Vandy provides over 1800 quality ASHA clinic hours. No other school offers that. Furthermore, it is not challenged that many of the vandy profs are at the top of their respective fields. Their rec letters will count for a lot. I'm not saying that I wouldn't consider Washington if the money were right, but I am saying that to answer without considerable thought is doing yourself an injustice.

All of this, of course, is assuming that Washington's finaid package is significantly better than Vandy's. If it is a toss up, important questions need to be answered. While big names may not impress some people here, the education you receive at Vandy is quite impressive to employers. Vandy provides over 1800 quality ASHA clinic hours. No other school offers that. Furthermore, it is not challenged that many of the vandy profs are at the top of their respective fields. Their rec letters will count for a lot. I'm not saying that I wouldn't consider Washington if the money were right, but I am saying that to answer without considerable thought is doing yourself an injustice.

Thanks for your thoughts, Marcrusc. Aren't you a student at Vandy? It's interesting to hear your perspective and thoughts, and they certainly make good points.

However, my own experiences have been that there are faculty who are "top" in their field at all of the top-ranked schools. A lot of it just depends on your personal interests, and each program seems to have different areas of strength, so different core faculty in those areas. I also know that a number of other schools DO provide 1800 or more clinical hours. These are just some questions everyone should be asking/considering the programs they are considering.

I've also been curious about the training grants that Vandy offers. Can you explain these a little more, if you know?

I realize that it is expensive and time consuming to visit both programs, but I think that if you are having a really difficult time making a decision that visiting could be very helpful. Talking with the faculty and students and seeing the actual facilities where you will be learning can make differences in each program apparent, even when they look roughly even on paper.

thanks for the replies.

also, boyfriend (serious relationship) is in washington as well

I am a Vandy student, but just last year I was making the same decision as you guys. I had multiple acceptances with a wide-range of finaid support. So I know what everyone is feeling right now. For the people who do not get funded through an academic scholarship at Vandy, the most common form of support is a DOE pediatric training grant. The requirements the grant places on you depend on how much funding you receive. If you are funded 100%, you must maintain a 51% pediatric caseload for two years for every year of funding. If you are funded for 4 years, you must work 51% peds for 8 years. If you are 75% funded, you must work one year for every year of funding. 50% is even less. You have up to 8 years after graduation to finish your service. A lot of people are funded this way.

Before you make a decision, I would suggest a healthy dose of stalling and negotiating. Vanderbilt originally didn't give me much funding. I talked with U of Memphis and was eventually offered 100% plus 750/month stipend. I took that information to Vandy and am now funded quite nicely. Don't be too shy to haggle. This is business and the admission people understand that.

Vanderbilt is a great school and you have a tough choice ahead of you. However, friends and family are probably your biggest supporters. If something bad happens back home, do you really want to be that far away? Plus, if your boyfriend is someone you think you may marry someday, don't let him go. When doing my undergrad I took the "other" school to be closer to my boyfriend and ended up marrying him. Now, he is willing to move with me so I can finish out my education. Follow your heart, good luck!

thanks for the replies.

also, boyfriend (serious relationship) is in washington as well

i love how the word "boyfriend" is so taboo when talking about career plans. i have a friend who even decided to start referring to her boyfriend as "fiance" to get people off her back discouraging her to take him into any account in her decisions.

hey, you gotta start somewhere right? they can't all be husbands.

i love how the word "boyfriend" is so taboo when talking about career plans. i have a friend who even decided to start referring to her boyfriend as "fiance" to get people off her back discouraging her to take him into any account in her decisions.

hey, you gotta start somewhere right? they can't all be husbands.

You're right, boyfriend has become taboo which is ridiculous! Anyway, I went to an Open House not long ago and several of the attendees seemed as if I had committed an "educational crime" because I was married AND trying to go to school...I think it helps me to stay focused!

After reading the last few posts, I believe UW is your answer...unless money matters...
1. Your family, friends, and boyfriend live in Washington
2. UW is ranked very high!
3. If you want to get a job in Washington state, you don't really need to go to Vanderbilt to get it...because the school you go to will be in that state. It's already familiar.

I mean Vanderbilt is great but your whole life (and future) is in Washington...and let's face it, we're not getting any younger :p

Purdue or University of Arizona? No financial aid yet... what should i do?

Purdue or University of Arizona? No financial aid yet... what should i do?

i think a lot of us are in this boat! i'm still waiting for financial aid at the local schools where i really prefer to stay, while i've turned down solid offers elsewhere with the hope that working my butt off to get assistantships here will pay off. may not be wise, but i took the tradeoff in undergrad to live at home and go in-state in order to minimize debt and this time if i have to i'll splurge! really hoping i don't have to though. :luck: also my top academic choice happens to be located in my present location along with my boyfriend/friends/niche. so i'm hoping triply hard that it will work out.