Which year is the most difficult?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which year of Medical School, in your opinion, is the most difficult?

• First Year

Votes: 22 50.0%
  • Second Year

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Third Year

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Fourth Year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They're all equally difficult

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Med School was/is a cake walk!

Votes: 6 13.6%

• Total voters

JasonUD

PGY-I
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which year of Medical School is, in your opinion, the most difficult?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, every single year of medical school is actually equally difficult. I will even say that the last two years are more difficult because you are not as much in charge of your career as others are. There is a difference in how they are difficult. During first two years you study all the time and the work load is huge. During 3rd and 4th year you work really hard to set yourself up for residency. Although study time is reduced during 3rd and 4th year, dealing with politics, bad rotations, unfair evals, and the application process for residency more than make up. So don't be fooled when people tell you it gets better during 3rd and 4th year. It won't. It is different, but not at all any easier.

Personally I thought first year was the hardest. Well, I should clarify. The first part of first year was the hardest. After you get the hang o things it is not that bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For me the fall quarters of first and second year were the hardest for me simply because I had to get used to the workload. I had been out of school for three years before starting first year, so that fall quarter was a wake up call for me (especially the second anatomy and biochem exams). After having three months off between first and second year, fall quarter of second year was pretty rough too. But once I got back into the swing of things, I was able to get through the tough times like finals week of second quarter this year. Although I haven't started thirdy year yet, I can tell it will be difficult as well in a different way. But thus far NOTHING has been a cake walk (well maybe human behavior). But that's the nature of the beast right?

I have heard two different sides of the story. Many say 1st year due to the volume of courseload. It takes a couple months to get that down. The 2nd complaint I hear is 3rd year. Mostly because you feel like an idiot all the time and people are always asking you questions and you don't know the answer (nor do they really expect you to sometimes) and usually the hardest part of your clinical work is done so you are working long hours, exhausted, and feel depressed because the first 2 years didn't help much with the 3rd year (from a clinical aspect) because now you are piecing it all together. I'd like to see what other 4th years/residents say ...

Hell, I'm finishing my 5th year. THIS year has been the hardest!

I voted for MSI. Without a doubt the most difficult year of medical school on so many different levels.

Also the most fun year in many ways. :thumbup: